Family in Kyoto

Wind30

went for a 1 week trip to Kyoto during the school holidays.

Will post the food pics first.

Katsukura in Kyoto. Supposedly the most famous tonkatsu in Kyoto according to my hotel receptionist 🙂 

Not that expensive too. I thought it was good value for money and must try. Quite a few branches in Kyoto.

DON'T try Unagi Sora. It is the most highly rated unagi shop on google map... I went and saw they give discount for google reviews.... which is like really rare in Japan... As expected, the meal is expensive and so-so....

_A7F1578.jpg

_A7F1683.jpg

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 7

On 9/15/2023 at 6:39 PM, Wind30 said:

Katsukura in Kyoto. Supposedly the most famous tonkatsu in Kyoto according to my hotel receptionist 🙂 

Not that expensive too. I thought it was good value for money and must try. Quite a few branches in Kyoto.

DON'T try Unagi Sora. It is the most highly rated unagi shop on google map... I went and saw they give discount for google reviews.... which is like really rare in Japan... As expected, the meal is expensive and so-so....

_A7F1578.jpg

_A7F1683.jpg

There's a katsukura in the shinjuku taka building if u ever want to eat in Tokyo. 

Best Miso soup I've tasted from my swagu taste buds. 

Edited by Lala81
  • Praise 4

I have the best black pork tonkatsu in Kumamoto although the dish originated from Tokyo.

Ordered the fat fat version, bloody heavenly. Don't understand why some people eat expensive lean black pork tonkatsu.  🤣🤣🤣

• Praise 3
  • Haha! 4

On 9/15/2023 at 8:21 PM, Voodooman said:

I have the best black pork tonkatsu in Kumamoto although the dish originated from Tokyo.

Ordered the fat fat version, bloody heavenly. Don't understand why some people eat expensive lean black pork tonkatsu.  🤣🤣🤣

Eat pork fatty parts is commoner food. Eat pork loin (pork chop) is high class. Heh. 

Dont think japs are too into offal though they certainly eat all parts of chicken in Yakitori. 

Edited by Lala81
  • Praise 2

On 9/15/2023 at 10:27 PM, Lala81 said:

Eat pork fatty parts is commoner food. Eat pork loin (pork chop) is high class. Heh. 

Dont think japs are too into offal though they certainly eat all parts of chicken in Yakitori. 

Heng I am a commoner. 🤣😂

• Haha! 5

On 9/15/2023 at 7:37 PM, Lala81 said:

There's a katsukura in the shinjuku taka building if u ever want to eat in Tokyo. 

Best Miso soup I've tasted from my swagu taste buds. 

Going back Tokyo next year 🙂 got a cheap scoot ticket deal. 

Don't rem that much about the miso soup in katsukura as I was focusing mainly on the tonkatsu. I really like tonkatsu. 

Okonomiyaki at Tsuruhashi Fugetsu - Kyoto. Shopping at yodabashi kyoto and this was just on the top level. My wife is just acting and the cooking is done by staff. Pretty good okonomiyaki. Hard to find okonomiyaki in Singapore I feel. 

_A7F0773.jpg

• Praise 3

@Wind30, there is this one thing I really admire you, and truly I respect it a lot. Keep this going for yourself and your family. Enjoy your holidays, the family time, and have a great trip, every trip. [thumbsup][laugh][laugh]

• Praise 7

Grill Ron at Osaka Station. Daughter wants omu rice. Not too bad but not spectacular. 

One thing I noticed in this trip, a lot of restaurants have queues... 

_A7F2817.jpg

_A7F2893.jpg

• Praise 1

Torikizoku @ kyoto 

Went to this yakitori store in a basement near Daimaru. Really good value for money. 3.9 ratings on google map but it was so good we went there twice. It is like 320 yen for two sticks so it is ToriQ price range but much nicer. Around SGD$60 for a dinner for 4...

Only on the last day, we found it is a huge chain. Definately will be my goto food for my future trips in Japan, just like Yayoiken.

_A7F4800.jpg

• Praise 2

Was in japan for 11 days and had all the yummy food, mostly went off the tourist tracks and had meals in small tiny shops where no english menu was available and google translate was a life saver..

• Praise 2

2023 was the hottest summer on record in Japan. 

Kyoto max temp in early sep hit 36/37 which is really hot.

Hopefully the pictures below show how hot it is... we have up on a few itenaries because it was just tooo hot.

_A7F0012.jpg

_A7F0536.jpg

_DSB9158.jpg

_DSC9127.jpg

• Praise 6

Yes, Yakitori in Japan is very good value.  Chicken skewers with beer, perfect combination.

Did you try torisashi (chicken sashimi with raw egg), don’t think it is safe to eat it anywhere else. 

On 9/16/2023 at 2:59 PM, Wind30 said:

Torikizoku @ kyoto 

Went to this yakitori store in a basement near Daimaru. Really good value for money. 3.9 ratings on google map but it was so good we went there twice. It is like 320 yen for two sticks so it is ToriQ price range but much nicer. Around SGD$60 for a dinner for 4...

Only on the last day, we found it is a huge chain. Definately will be my goto food for my future trips in Japan, just like Yayoiken.

_A7F4800.jpg

IMG_6976.jpeg

• Praise 3
  • Shocked 1

On 9/17/2023 at 1:04 PM, Voodooman said:

Yes, Yakitori in Japan is very good value.  Chicken skewers with beer, perfect combination.

Did you try torisashi (chicken sashimi with raw egg), don’t think it is safe to eat it anywhere else. 

IMG_6976.jpeg

Nope…. Part of the reason why we like this shop is that the meat are all cooked and still tender. In the past, we have tried quite a few yakitori with meat reddish…. We don’t take raw stuff. 

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 1

On 9/15/2023 at 8:21 PM, Voodooman said:

Bro... can share where you ate it? Which restaurant? And the damage? Will be visiting Kumamoto in Dec... currently looking into where to eat... 

• Praise 1

On 9/15/2023 at 6:39 PM, Wind30 said:

_A7F1578.jpg

_A7F1683.jpg

Ok... must take note of this brand name... Katsukura.... thanks for the tip!

Torikizoku @ kyoto 

_A7F4800.jpg

Wow! $60 for 4 is pretty expensive no? Looking to do yakitori without breaking the bank in Dec... is this chain found all over Japan or only in Central Japan? Unfortunately me frog in the well... never really tried yakitori before...

On 9/16/2023 at 2:50 PM, Wind30 said:

Grill Ron at Osaka Station. Daughter wants omu rice. Not too bad but not spectacular. 

One thing I noticed in this trip, a lot of restaurants have queues... 

_A7F2817.jpg

_A7F2893.jpg

Oh? I guess you visited the most popular cities in Japan, Osaka & Kyoto during the most popular time of the year - summer... I guess most people queuing are tourists?

Torikizoku @ kyoto 

_A7F4800.jpg

Pardon my ignorance... what is Yayoiken?

↡ Advertisement