Ngck 3rd Gear December 26, 2012 Share December 26, 2012 My Hitachi plasma conked out after 5 yrs of service, so now I'm on the look out for a Smart TV but I realised that the TV technology has progressed so much I'm not even sure what I should be looking out for for my next purchase. I have these general criteria: 1) At least 40" 2) Smart TV with full internet access 3) Full HD 4) Full 3D 5) Non-China brand 6) At least 3 yrs warranty I was looking at the Panasonic Viera at Best Denki the other day but didn't commit because I hadn't researched properly nor do I think that they are offering the best price. Any recommendations? Go look at mustafa.... I just bought my Samsung series 5 from there. The prices are really cheap. Open your mouth and ask for "Actual" price. forget about smart TV functions. The software is not smart enuff yet. Do not expect it to work like a huge tablet (minus the touch screen) Any IT savvy person will get bored of the SMART functions in 5 mins. It's laggy and restrictive. Like a old computer. Most TV comes with 3 year warranty. I would forget about 3D functions too... but different ppl got different needs ↡ Advertisement Link to post Share on other sites More sharing options...
Ngck 3rd Gear December 26, 2012 Share December 26, 2012 Android dongle works by just plugging in? Can they be purchased at the stores? best you have wireless keyboard and mouse as well.... for either dongle or smart tv. Link to post Share on other sites More sharing options...
Cracker 1st Gear December 26, 2012 Share December 26, 2012 (edited) Buy the biggest size available and yr cabinet can accomodate, based on yr budget.... It may look big... But once used to it, it will appear to be"small"... Samsung and LG provides almost 80% of the panel in the market.. Dun be too concern with whatever technology the brand claimed to have... Or what the sales pple tell u Trust yr own eyes... And dun try too hard to distinguish the difference... And dun complain of any price drop once u bought it... The other day was at Vivo BD... One guy was complaining to the salesman loudly using ang moh accent . Saying why price drop so much within weeks after he bought his unit... was he expecting price to remain the same? Edited December 26, 2012 by Cracker Link to post Share on other sites More sharing options...
Cerano 1st Gear December 26, 2012 Share December 26, 2012 (edited) Hmm, laggy screen changes does not work well for me. I understand the newer releases comes with dual core processor so that may take care of the lag. What about 3D? From my couch to the TV is a distance of 13 feet, so I may want to go for bigger screen. Pic is wonderfully sharp. Mine is only 1 month old. Dual core and highest end 8000 series also no use so slow But the menu is VERY laggy. Gesture control and voice control hardly works. Too lechey too. 3D is good Edited December 26, 2012 by Cerano Link to post Share on other sites More sharing options...
Lala81 Hypersonic December 26, 2012 Share December 26, 2012 both samsung and panasonic are fairly reliable. I would take panasonic for plasma. Samsung for LED. Link to post Share on other sites More sharing options...
Hiphiphoray 6th Gear December 26, 2012 Share December 26, 2012 Was looking at the ES8000 series 55" at Bestdenki. Tried the 3D video, wahhhhh.....very cool. The image really pops out. Very different experience from the 3D at the cinema. I think the pricetag was something like $4999. Way too expensive liao. Pic is wonderfully sharp. Mine is only 1 month old. Dual core and highest end 8000 series also no use so slow But the menu is VERY laggy. Gesture control and voice control hardly works. Too lechey too. 3D is good Link to post Share on other sites More sharing options...
Cerano 1st Gear December 26, 2012 Share December 26, 2012 Was looking at the ES8000 series 55" at Bestdenki. Tried the 3D video, wahhhhh.....very cool. The image really pops out. Very different experience from the 3D at the cinema. I think the pricetag was something like $4999. Way too expensive liao. Yup sharpness is definitely there. Even sharper than my VW95ES on a 120" Stewart Studiotek 130. I think it could be the longer seating distance but still looks far sharper than anything else But the lag and lack of user friendlyness is a game ender because i dont watch movies in the hall anyway just normal programs so not much use to it. Quite regret. Though it looks very thin and nice Link to post Share on other sites More sharing options...
Cerano 1st Gear December 26, 2012 Share December 26, 2012 I just read today that they're releasing a revamped ui to clear up the clutter and make it faster. Hope it comes soon. Either that or use the evolution kit upgrade to upgrade the processor? Link to post Share on other sites More sharing options...
Somewhat1975 6th Gear December 26, 2012 Share December 26, 2012 Nowadays in US, they hoot the 60 inch LED TV for USD999 only. Best selling TV in US this year. Sharp panel and made by Foxconn. The same company who make the iphone. If it comes to Sg, I will surely hoot one. Link to post Share on other sites More sharing options...
Freestylers09 5th Gear December 26, 2012 Share December 26, 2012 Android dongle works by just plugging in? Can they be purchased at the stores? Plug in hdmi Latest version is dual core 1.5gz 1gb ram With bluetooth n voice function for skype etc Third generation liao As good as a mobile platform on ur tv.better than smart tv 80Plus Qoo 10 got sell juz search android tv Link to post Share on other sites More sharing options...
Icedbs Turbocharged December 26, 2012 Share December 26, 2012 (edited) My Hitachi plasma conked out after 5 yrs of service, so now I'm on the look out for a Smart TV but I realised that the TV technology has progressed so much I'm not even sure what I should be looking out for for my next purchase. I have these general criteria: 1) At least 40" 2) Smart TV with full internet access 3) Full HD 4) Full 3D 5) Non-China brand 6) At least 3 yrs warranty I was looking at the Panasonic Viera at Best Denki the other day but didn't commit because I hadn't researched properly nor do I think that they are offering the best price. Any recommendations? Bro....go for the Sharp RGBY Aquos. I know everyone will be telling you Samsung or LG. Sharp is one of the earliest pioneer in LCD and LED. The colour on the RGB +Y is just incredible. Next time bring a magnifying glass with you. Point the glass at the LED Panel. You will notice that for the same size TV, the pixel size on the Sharp is smaller than those in Samsung and LG. The 3D on the Sharp uses active glasses, which is amazing. The downside of Sharp is that it's "smart contents" are not as much as the Koreans, but who really uses those smart contents anyway? It is the picture quality that counts for most. Go for Sharp......you won't regret it. Edited December 26, 2012 by Icedbs Link to post Share on other sites More sharing options...
Sabian Turbocharged December 26, 2012 Share December 26, 2012 Pay attention to the refresh rate. The salesman is unlikely to give you the real numbers. CNET Asia regularly updates their reviews. Link to post Share on other sites More sharing options...
Oblong 3rd Gear December 26, 2012 Share December 26, 2012 sharp has traditionally been a strong lcd player with good r&d. but the quattron may be more marketing hype. the recent sharp elite can be a good choice for the well heeled though. Link to post Share on other sites More sharing options...
Jasonvios 1st Gear December 26, 2012 Share December 26, 2012 Bought samsung 40" series 5 smart tv at Sitex show for 688, free wifi dongle and Hdmi cable. The smart part, not so smart, only access to Samsung app, was expecting a pure google tv, does not support wireless keyboard make it hard to move around. Other than that, I am happy with the purchase. Link to post Share on other sites More sharing options...
Ftco 2nd Gear December 26, 2012 Share December 26, 2012 (edited) Bought samsung 40" series 5 smart tv at Sitex show for 688, free wifi dongle and Hdmi cable. The smart part, not so smart, only access to Samsung app, was expecting a pure google tv, does not support wireless keyboard make it hard to move around. Other than that, I am happy with the purchase. Within series 5, there are 4-5 models, the higher model has better features/functions/accesibility. I bought the ES5500 2 mths ago (cost about $1k), supposedly the highest within series 5, just below the 3D models (don't need 3D). No regrets getting a Smart TV, which has more content due to its accessibility to the web. My take so far :- Good :- Access to Youtube, internet, wifi / LAN connectivity to my NAS (can stream videos/view photos stored on the drive), USB connectivity (for mouse, keyboard, thumbdrive, portable HDD), various Apps which provide free content stream to TV via your home router. Slim, light and looks good compared to normal LCD or CRT TV. Bad :- Surfing the internet is a pain - slow and hard to operate using remote. Have to either use some App on Ipad or Android phone, or plug in mouse/keyboard, which improves the experience somewhat but still unlike a PC or tablet. Nonetheless, good enough to stream live sports programs such as F1 or Tennis. Watching on a 40" is much better than a PC monitor or tablet. Colour looks a bit different if you view the TV from the side vs the front. Now I spend more time with the family in front of the TV than previously isolated in the room facing the computer. Edited December 26, 2012 by Ftco Link to post Share on other sites More sharing options...
Watwheels Supersonic December 26, 2012 Share December 26, 2012 Actually up to now retailers or service providers shud bundle the samsung smart tv with their tablets with preloaded remote tv apps. Coz I happen to have both and it is easier to navigate & type using a tablet. Using a tv to surf net is a bit overkill, might as well get a desktop and connect to the tv dan there will be no lag. Nowadays desktops are cheap to build and is quite compact. Anyway I have a tablet I use it to surf net. A tv is to watch tv shows and movies. So far I use most often are the smart tv's youtube app and BBC app via tablet to "remote control". You can select the youtube videos via the tablet too as the selections will appear on not just the tv but also on the tablet. FYI those ppl who wants to use such a big screen to surf net or play games or watch movie you got to have a powerful processor, a good motherboard, powerful graphic card & lots of ram to make the graphics silky smooth. Basically a powerful desktop which drains lots of electricity to power that big screen. I dun think the smart tv is equipped with those things compact in a thin package. Want to surf net there are many easier ways to do it w/o wasting too much energy. As for 3D I dun think it will catch on. Just look at the cinemas. The experience will fade out pretty quick. Ppl bring 3D back means they have ran out of ideas to sell/market their tv. Link to post Share on other sites More sharing options...
Tarzan666 2nd Gear December 26, 2012 Share December 26, 2012 im using samsung 7 series LED smart tv 55 inch..aim for very long & when price dropped to ard 4k..i grabbed it 1 year+ ago... it broke down 3x... was guinea pig then, samsung came, change tv, still spoil, then change motherboard etc then can.. the repair guy told me common..knn..lucky got 3 years warranty..after they came down the last time about 8 months ago..now all ok. I find the pic quality better than other LED tvs i see in my frds' place..like phillips etc. Now the interactive smart tv much better. coz mine very hard to surf net with remote control. Link to post Share on other sites More sharing options...
Tjkbeluga 5th Gear December 26, 2012 Share December 26, 2012 Bro....go for the Sharp RGBY Aquos. I know everyone will be telling you Samsung or LG. Sharp is one of the earliest pioneer in LCD and LED. The colour on the RGB +Y is just incredible. Next time bring a magnifying glass with you. Point the glass at the LED Panel. You will notice that for the same size TV, the pixel size on the Sharp is smaller than those in Samsung and LG. The 3D on the Sharp uses active glasses, which is amazing. The downside of Sharp is that it's "smart contents" are not as much as the Koreans, but who really uses those smart contents anyway? It is the picture quality that counts for most. Go for Sharp......you won't regret it. While I like their TVs, my concern is the warranty. They may die soon... ↡ Advertisement Link to post Share on other sites More sharing options...
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In NowRelated Discussions
Related Discussions
2024 Smart #3
2024 Smart #3
🚗⛽️ Win $40 Petrol Vouchers, Cafe Vouchers and smart official merchandise! 💸☕ MCF HangOut X smart – 20 July 2024, smart Showroom ✨
🚗⛽️ Win $40 Petrol Vouchers, Cafe Vouchers and smart official merchandise! 💸☕ MCF HangOut X smart – 20 July 2024, smart Showroom ✨
smart #1 All-Electric SUV Goes Official: Offers Maximum Range Of 440 km
smart #1 All-Electric SUV Goes Official: Offers Maximum Range Of 440 km
Which brand and model for Smart TV? So many until blur...
Which brand and model for Smart TV? So many until blur...
Smart Car Gets Overlanding Conversion With Roof Tent, Stove, And Sink. 🤣
Smart Car Gets Overlanding Conversion With Roof Tent, Stove, And Sink. 🤣
Proton To Introduce smart Electric Vehicles In Malaysia
Proton To Introduce smart Electric Vehicles In Malaysia
Autonomous Self Driving Vehicle
Autonomous Self Driving Vehicle
Nonda ZUS Smart Vehicle Health Monitor
Nonda ZUS Smart Vehicle Health Monitor