Durian Sellers - recommendations and to avoid

Aukang

Hypersonic

I eat cheaper grades like 红虾, etc just to satisfy the cravings.

Also not cheap, $13/kg, used to be MSW pricing. But, 红虾 good ones actually fragrance is smell very nice, but first few seeds only and starts to get too sweet for me liao. [laugh][laugh][laugh]

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

Hypersonic

Also not cheap, $13/kg, used to be MSW pricing. But, çº¢è¾ good ones actually fragrance is smell very nice, but first few seeds only and starts to get too sweet for me liao. [laugh][laugh][laugh]

Ya lor, I saw $15/kg! Knn...

True, 红虾 is sweet. Don't have those buttery bittersweet type.

• Praise 1

I passed by everywhere at least $30/kg for MSW.

But I say only, sometimes cannot resist the temptation...haha.

Sorry but I always believe in there's no smoke without fire. So ah tiongs do play a part with their wealth, huge population and cravings for durian in pushing up durian prices.

And also I said really bro because I am doubting you. Who is your source or report?

One of it is here from CNA:

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/singapore/demand-for-malaysian-durians-in-china-may-mean-fewer-costlier-fr-8727144

Of course the planatation owners are the culprits la! Who doesn't want more money as I said. The root cause is still the ah tiongs what.

the Malaysian fruit plantations are selectively feeding info to the SG media..as for my source? plantation owners from the horse's mouth

if we are blaming ah tiong for durian price increase.

its like malaysian blaming us for their milk powder price increase [;)]

• Praise 2

Just bought some durians from Ah Sin stall (Blk 113 Aljunied Crescent) .

$27/ kg MSW , $25/kg JF , $15/kg for D28..

Overall honest n sales oriented guyjust like me

Buy all of the above for testing ...

D28 most value for money at the moment as taste n texture close to D24...

• Praise 10

Hypersonic
(edited)

Ok, read today ST report.

Can conclude it's due to rainy weather and ah tiongs (exporting to china and they coming to durian plantation for durian tours). Demand more than supply so price up and up.

Ultimately we just want to enjoy durians at price that we can swallow.

Have a good weekend.

Edited by Fcw75

Hypersonic
(edited)

This one ? It says due to weather, which is what Malaysian durian sellers have told me too.

Prices for the fruit are up by as much as 40% due to smaller harvests from Malaysian orchards hit by adverse weather

http://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/durian-doldrums

Read the print edition please. It is not just the weather.

post-1829-0-34644300-1499573967_thumb.jpg

And from the link I posted:

SINGAPORE: Durian lovers here may have to fork out more to get their hands on the king of fruit, with Singapore sellers reporting that Malaysian farmers are exporting more of their harvest to China and Chinese tourists buying the fruit at the Malaysians farms they visit.

As competition for durians increases, prices have risen steadily, said Ms Lilian Teo, 60, who has been selling durians for five years. She runs a shop with her father at the junction of Albert Street and Short Street near Little India.

“They (the suppliers) are exporting to China, so we get less supply and it’s more expensive,” she said.

For example, the Musang King, or Mao Shan Wang durian, was selling for S$8 per kg five years ago. Last year, that almost doubled to S$15 per kg, she said. Currently, fruit shops here are selling their supplies from Pahang at about S$28 per kg at the tail end of the current season. The Musang King durians are the most popular, given their creamy texture and small seeds, sellers said.

Mr Shui Poh Sing, 58, owner of Ah Seng Durian in Ghim Moh, said that while durians are not new to Chinese nationals, they were previously getting supplies from Thailand. More recently, they have been visiting durian farms in Malaysia, and getting their durians air-flown from there in vacuumed packaging, he said.

“They (the Chinese) are willing to pay higher for the durians up to double the amount that Singaporeans are typically willing to pay," he said.

DURIAN FANS FROM CHINA HEAD TO MALAYSIA FARMS

Director of Malaysia’s Desaru Fruit Farm Alice Tong said that when she started off in 2006, she would see “hundreds” of Chinese tourists per week. Now, she sees thousands of them. And they are more willing to pay top dollar for the fruit.

“For every RM100 (S$32) that a Singaporean pays, the Chinese tourists pay RM200 or RM300.” They also buy in bulk, she said.

Edited by Fcw75
  • Praise 1

Hypersonic

Haiz, durians are getting so expensive, that an uncle have to pick wild durians and got lost. Thankfully he was found after after 4 days. I hope the durians are worth it.

http://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/man-57-lost-for-four-days-while-plucking-durian-in-jurong-found-uninjured

Man, 57, lost for four days while plucking durians in Jurong found uninjured

Mr Low Ah Kay was found around noon on Monday, dehydrated but uninjured.PHOTOS: LIANHE WANBAO, WANBAO READER

SINGAPORE - A 57-year-old man, who went missing last Thursday (July 6) after going to pick durians, was found in a forested area along Kranji Expressway on Monday at noon, four days after the police put up a missing person notice.

Mr Low Ah Kay was last seen at Block 498 Jurong West Street 41 on July 6 at about 8.30am, the police previously said in their appeal for information.

He was last seen wearing an off-white coloured shirt, long pants and yellow boots.

Mr Low is believed to have gone to a forested area in Jurong on his motorcycle to pick durians, Lianhe Wanbao reported on Monday.

After he went missing, the police and his family searched for him. His daughter Samantha told citizen journalism site in a report on Saturday that her father had mild dementia and previously had a stroke.

His family and friends continued their search on Sunday at a forested area along Jurong Road, Wanbao said.

There were at least five police vehicles when Wanbao arrived at the scene on Sunday night. Police officers were seen leading dogs on the search.

Ten of Mr Low's friends and family were waiting outside the brush for news. The Straits Times understands that the police search went on for 12 hours, beginning on Sunday from 4pm and ending on Monday at 4am.

Operations resumed at 9am, and the police on Monday said in a statement that Mr Low was found at about 12pm that day.

ST understands that Mr Low was taken semi-conscious to Ng Teng Fong Hospital

• Praise 5

Haiz, durians are getting so expensive, that an uncle have to pick wild durians and got lost. Thankfully he was found after after 4 days. I hope the durians are worth it.

http://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/man-57-lost-for-four-days-while-plucking-durian-in-jurong-found-uninjured

He must have picked and ate lots of kumpong durian.  [:p]  [laugh]  [laugh]

Hypersonic

i bought durians at blk 492 jurong west ave 1 twice last week

those prepacked type

$2/box

$10 for 3

$6/box

$12/box (sultan)

$18/box (maoshanwang - probably not real ones)

bought a few from above varieties

hard to bargain prices..only couple dollars discount from total amount

not fussy durian eaters, $2 ones are not too bad

whole durins hv too

D24 $15/kg

soursop $15/kg (sell out fast)

• Praise 3

He must have picked and ate lots of kumpong durian. [:p][laugh][laugh]

I hope he get laped in jungle next time.:x

those prepacked type

$2/box

$10 for 3

$6/box

$12/box (sultan)

whole durins hv too

D24 $15/kg

That place used to have alot of nice durians, but I went a few times no have leh. 

Liu lian coming back there?  [laugh]  [laugh]  [laugh]

• Praise 2

Turbocharged

those prepacked type

$2/box

$10 for 3

$6/box

$12/box (sultan)

whole durins hv too

D24 $15/kg

went to a shop at brickworks...bought fm there b4, price can bargain. but yesterday, they didnt even sell those in packets. n the prices for the whole durian is ex, cheapest was $8 per pc for a small size abt 20cm. cant even get a normal cheap durian!

Hypersonic

That place used to have alot of nice durians, but I went a few times no have leh. 

Liu lian coming back there?  [laugh]  [laugh]  [laugh]

im not fussy durian eater so go for "cheaper" grades .. [lipsrsealed]

...if want buy durians i usually go there or blk 502 ...

went to a shop at brickworks...bought fm there b4, price can bargain. but yesterday, they didnt even sell those in packets. n the prices for the whole durian is ex, cheapest was $8 per pc for a small size abt 20cm. cant even get a normal cheap durian!

the seller said shortage of supplies

twice when i went there 2x last week

Hypersonic

yandao towkay never jio....

so sad  [smallcry]

• Praise 1

Turbocharged

yeah...i tink very little supplies. so those that the shops hv, price will b high. dunno whether wanna go for d13 or d101 at $12/kg. 

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1