Home renovation tips

Gary469

hi guys, just wanna check if anyone know a reasonable price of the following works for 1000sqft

1) Hacking of 3 walls - maybe $1500

2) Hacking of 2 toilet flooring and wall tiles -maybe $1500.. just hacking? Don't need to redo? Usually toilet is around $5-8000 plus water proofing, from raw to full.

3) Hacking and removal of kitchen cabinets, build in 1 x wardrobes, sanitary fixtures, wall skirtings -$1500 for hacking, for cabinet I think it's around $200/300 per feet, so depends on how big is your cabinet. Maybe another $1000 for the fixing of other stuff?

4) Removal of debris $500

*no hacking on existing flooring except toilets.

↡ Advertisement

Reno depends on individual preference. Price does not dictate if the end product will be to your own or other people liking.

Went to some houses, 1200sqft, spent70-90k Reno... Designer that's featured in magazines. Some others same size and use some contractor and put in personal tough and cost 30+k...

The cheaper one looks and feels much better actually.

Reno depends on individual preference. Price does not dictate if the end product will be to your own or other people liking.

Went to some houses, 1200sqft, spent70-90k Reno... Designer that's featured in magazines. Some others same size and use some contractor and put in personal tough and cost 30+k...

The cheaper one looks and feels much better actually.

can't agree more. Most people will be better off with simple design and reno 'cos after you moved in, it's all junks. What you see in magazines are modelled without actual living in, hence without the "mess". What is "mess"? Even a haversack, skool bag put around can be a mess to your designer flat. You need to keep everything inside cabinets, out of sight......... to maintain the look.

If I will to do it all over again, I will not even buy lightings. All I need is $2.50 bulb holders installed with bulbs screwed in. Easier for all people to DIY change bulbs too.

• Praise 1

A nice new coat of paint and renovating the 1 or 2 areas you spend the most time in for a mini renovation.

If everyone gathers at the living room often, then focus the renovation there will be great.

If cooking is priority, then making it look and feel clean (and non-oily) can make daily life for the cook better [;)]

If you have guests often, having a nice main door and gate will be pleasant.

If you work till very late then go home and don't really have time to be in the living room or cook...then renovate the bedroom and get a very comfortable bed, pillow and blanket. Few things can beat a good night's rest! [;)]

• Praise 2

Totally agreed.

So far i havent come across any women 20s to 30s whom know how to make a simple meat-fish-soup dish.

In fact they never done before.......when question further.

Then the typical answer sure come......WHY ONLY WOMEN!!!! MEN can also cook mah.

Wah lou aaaaaaa.........i'll put my last dollar on them saying this pharse. Sure win!!! [laugh]

know a couple of folks who done kitchen swee swee. but all dun cook or dun know how to.

those i know who love cooking (and can cook well) dun seemed to bothered abt branded hinges, hoods, sinks n stuff as long as the kitchen is functional.

Just finalise reno with contractor..

1. Hack existing kitchen cabinets and rebuilt all cabinets, top and bottom, kitchen top use white quartz.

2. Hack 3 toilets and rebuild wall n floor tiles and vanity top with white quartz.

3. Hack 4 bedroom wardrobes and rebuilt 4 new wardrobes. And add a new 3 door full height shoe cabinet.

4. Rebuilt some false ceiling.

5. Hack 3-4walls to create different walk flow and increase opening and rebuilt with partition walls.

6. Add some doors here and there.

7. Repaint whole house with Nippon Easy Wash.

8. Re sand and lacquer parquet floor and all existing doors.

Reno cost S$50,000.

Inverter Aircon cost $9000, 2 set system 3 and 1 set system 1.

Cheap or expensive?

• Praise 1

Turbocharged

1. Hack existing kitchen cabinets and rebuilt all cabinets, top and bottom, kitchen top use white quartz.

2. Hack 3 toilets and rebuild wall n floor tiles and vanity top with white quartz.

3. Hack 4 bedroom wardrobes and rebuilt 4 new wardrobes. And add a new 3 door full height shoe cabinet.

5. Hack 3-4walls to create different walk flow and increase opening and rebuilt with partition walls.

Reno cost S$50,000.

Cheap or expensive?

i think should be around that price, just bear in mind

1) does it include re-wiring entire house? makes sure u change those as well

2) does it include changing all water pumping?

3) Make sure the hacking includes other cost like QP/PE endorsement, additional works on stiffeners removal if any

Reno cost S$50,000.

Cheap or expensive?

Well done, take some before after pics to show leh.

Well done, take some before after pics to show leh.

nothing to show, not for own stay.. Renovation for rental enhancement

i think should be around that price, just bear in mind

1) does it include re-wiring entire house? makes sure u change those as well

2) does it include changing all water pumping?

3) Make sure the hacking includes other cost like QP/PE endorsement, additional works on stiffeners removal if any

some rewiring and got PE endorsement. Reno price moved down slightly compared to previous house when I renovated after I digged out the old quotes. As I recommended quite a few clients for the contractor, they agree to bring down the price quite alot.

Turbocharged

since we are on reno topic, i seek advice from any bro who knows about hacking of wall with stiffener in HDB.

I understood that in order to remove stiffener, a QP need to endorse the works.

question now is,

1) what is the usual QP charges?

2) beside QP charges, is there any special tools or skill set required to remove the stiffener as compared to hacking normal walls?

3) does the QP need to supervise the works?

since we are on reno topic, i seek advice from any bro who knows about hacking of wall with stiffener in HDB.

I understood that in order to remove stiffener, a QP need to endorse the works.

question now is,

1) what is the usual QP charges?

2) beside QP charges, is there any special tools or skill set required to remove the stiffener as compared to hacking normal walls?

3) does the QP need to supervise the works?

The stiffener is reinforcement steel bars?

Thought wall with Reinforcement bars are usually load bearing and cannot be hacked.

My contractor says walls with R bars they can't hack.. needs to engage professional engineer to advice first.

Turbocharged

The stiffener is reinforcement steel bars?

Thought wall with Reinforcement bars are usually load bearing and cannot be hacked.

My contractor says walls with R bars they can't hack.. needs to engage professional engineer to advice first.

yes, need PE/QP to endorse.

question is, once PE/QP endorsed that it can be hacked,

1) does this hacking work require special tools or skill set?

2) does PE/QP need to supervise the works?

yes, need PE/QP to endorse.

question is, once PE/QP endorsed that it can be hacked,

1) does this hacking work require special tools or skill set?

2) does PE/QP need to supervise the works?

don't think special tool needed and don't think the PE will be there to supervise. Think your HDB wall have Re Bar because it's most likely a prefabricated wall. Think HDB approval needed also.
  • Praise 1

Turbocharged

don't think special tool needed and don't think the PE will be there to supervise. Think your HDB wall have Re Bar because it's most likely a prefabricated wall. Think HDB approval needed also.

HDB already approved the removal, thats why i asking if need special skill set or tools to remove the wall with stiffener

Supercharged

anybody have the contact to recommend carpenter?

need to replace the hinges on my kitchen cabinets. Excel hinges really cmi. coming 5yrs only now koyak.

tia.

this one should be able to diy. take peektures and go hardware shops.

need to replace the hinges on my kitchen cabinets. Excel hinges really cmi. coming 5yrs only now koyak.

tia.

Supercharged

this one should be able to diy. take peektures and go hardware shops.

i hv the hinges in mind but diy is not really my forte plus i want to add additional door on my display cupboard

Supercharged

tia.

How about going back to the same contractor who had done your kitchen reno? He might have the contacts...

↡ Advertisement