Japan's first ever roundabouts confuse drivers

ins1dious

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/asia/japan/11074135/Japans-first-ever-roundabouts-confuse-drivers.html

Drivers across Japan have been left confused at the introduction of roundabouts, a previously unheard of concept in a nation wedded to the idea of traffic lights at junctions.

A pilot project that opened in northern Japan in February 2013 proved sufficiently encouraging for the transport ministry to reconfigure 15 junctions in seven cities, with the roundabouts going into operation on Monday.

The new road designs left drivers and pedestrians scratching their heads, however, with one driver in the city of Suzuka asking a local TV crew, "I'm confused about how many times I have to stop. Is it just once?"

A pedestrian added that traffic lights were better "since I know when to stop and when to go".

Undeterred at the confusion, the transport ministry is pushing ahead with the scheme to transform more junctions into roundabouts, with a further 34 to be introduced before the end of the year.

↡ Advertisement

Damm!! The British should've just installed roundabouts all down Peninsular Malaysia and they would've won the war. <_<

hahahaha

But back to the article, I'm not sure roundabouts are efficient for high volume roads. Things tend to get clogged up very quickly... thats my experience from living in Dubai which used to have a lot of roundabouts. Now they're removing those for signalled junctions.

hahahaha

But back to the article, I'm not sure roundabouts are efficient for high volume roads. Things tend to get clogged up very quickly... thats my experience from living in Dubai which used to have a lot of roundabouts. Now they're removing those for signalled junctions.

Yes, those unfamiliar with the exits will clog up the whole roundabout. And nobody seem to be able to keep to their lanes in roundabouts. :huh:

• Praise 1

Yes, those unfamiliar with the exits will clog up the whole roundabout. And nobody seem to be able to keep to their lanes in roundabouts. :huh:

exactly, for example at Newton Circus even with its signals, its a damn pain sometimes, cos people are confused when to get off and then try to at the last moment.

Yep, and can see taxis chiong straight into the centre of roundabout.

Saw twice at Marine Parade roundabout, the backside pointing up...hahaha.

I like roundabouts. Can test handling.

haha what? like Mat from Carbuyer using the small roundabouts in UK to test the turning radius?

exactly, for example at Newton Circus even with its signals, its a damn pain sometimes, cos people are confused when to get off and then try to at the last moment.

Newton Circus is especially bad, no idea why. Some cars will enter and immediately go to the inner lanes blocking off those trying to take the next exit. Maybe they think that can drive in a straight line cut across the roundabout to their exits. [laugh]

Turbocharged

I like roundabouts. Can test handling.

The one at Amber road wide enuff to drift.. Dun say I say one. Hahahah!!

• Praise 2

Twincharged

hahahaha

I remember mythbusters did an experiment on this before. Roundabouts vs traffic lights. The roundabouts won in terms of efficiency. Number of cars that can clear the junction in the same period of time is alot higher for roundabouts.

Turbocharged

Damm!! The British should've just installed roundabouts all down Peninsular Malaysia and they would've won the war. <_<

LOL....... [laugh]

By the way the British has the worlds craziests roundabouts ; and this is just one of many:

• Praise 1

Yup, as a new driver I was always a bit jumpy about using newton circus especially when there were no signal lights. Luckily there was the flyover later on.

Actually there's no worry about when to get off, etc. because if you miss the exit, just go one more round lah... can go round again to check your bearings before making a decision.

we also got a round about with "little bit confusing" at west coast

i ever seen a car turn into on coming car

then chop chop swerve to exit ... sibei heng

Edited by Wt_know
  • Praise 1