Would you trace your father's childhood days?

Philipkee

Recently, by an incredible stroke of luck, I came across the website of the army boys trade school. https://sites.google.com/site/mybalep/Home

My dad's name is inside but I shall keep it secret. By another stroke of luck, I managed to actually email someone from the site and he knew my dad personally. He is not in Singapore but he has emailed me photos which I have never seen before and given me locations of their meet ups.

What is the army boys trade school? Basically boys from Singapore and Malaya would join this. This was under the British. It is a school where they learned soldiering and also got an education as well. From what I understand, this education was more of a technical education where they learneda sspecific skill.

As part of the British army, they too fought for Singapore during the confrontation years. Yet I have never seen a mention of them in mindef magazines. And I have never met a single person outside of family who has actually heard of this school, not to mention known someone from there.

So now I have this opportunity to meet them. I am of two minds. One is not to meet as it might be awkward as they do not know me, just my father and he passed away close to twenty years ago. On the other hand, these people are old and the list of those who died are getting longer. If I don't try, i might never get another chance.

If you were me, would you?

By the way my dad's picture is inside so if anyone knows anyone from this picture can message me privately.

post-57859-0-48938400-1448855545_thumb.jpg

post-57859-0-21866100-1448855572_thumb.jpg

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 13

:a-happy:   you are back ....

Thought you got stuck in Batam last night with @jamesc ... :secret-laugh:

They go Batam ah? What were they doing there? :secret-laugh::grin:

Which year was this photo taken in , approximately??

1960s. Location unknown. I know they trained in pulau brani then but not sure where this particular PIC was taken

They go Batam ah? What were they doing there? :secret-laugh::grin:

Meeting with Porker & Turboflat4 ..... [sly]

MOD retreats at Batam .. :grin:

Traced my father roots to China, Hainan Island, Wengchang village.

Going back there again in 2 weeks time ... :a-happy:

Some of our grand children will trace our roots to mcf here. And they will tell what kind of personality you are. Tiko or car fanatic.

:XD: only 2 types of people surf mcf? hahahah.. 3rd category: Others

• Praise 1

Some of our grand children will trace our roots to mcf here. And they will tell what kind of personality you are. Tiko or car fanatic.

who knows ................one day you busy fighting your son in MCF...............without anyone of you knowing it............... [:p]  [laugh]  [laugh]

• Praise 2

who knows ................one day you busy fighting your son in MCF...............without anyone of you knowing it............... [:p][laugh][laugh]

• Praise 2

who knows ................one day you busy fighting your son in MCF...............without anyone of you knowing it............... [:p]  [laugh]  [laugh]

lol...brings to mind the father here where his son use acct

so we alwes ask

'you father or son' haaaaaaaaaaa

• Praise 3

lol...brings to mind the father here where his son use acct

so we alwes ask

'you father or son' haaaaaaaaaaa

yah yah................lets see if we can get the father and son here...............calling calling...........calling @cerano.................. [laugh]  [laugh]  [laugh]

• Praise 2

interesting... i like to find out the history of my family too, how my father and mother lived their childhood, how my grandparents came to Singapore

so far, i gathered that before WWII, my grandparents moved from Dapu to JB, then settled at a kampong at around Old Holland Road there

it was an ulu kampong but neverheless they still ran when the Japs invaded... time was very difficult then

my father studied his primary school education at an old ancestral temple in the kampong

my mother was from another kampong at Hougang

it's interesting and it makes me appreciate with what I have now

• Praise 4