2017 Toyota Corolla Altis new Facelift

AltisOwner

Drove the G9 (1.5L) ten years ago. Ave 12km/l

With improve tech, maybe could be 20% more efficiency now.

Not too much to ask for, I think.

Nowadays with the proliferation of more and more hybrid cars on the road, the corolla is no longer that remarkable in terms of fuel efficiency. I was quite shocked the other day when i drove the Prius C. 

Oh my, puny fuel tank of 36L but the range was around 1000km.  [dizzy] 

↡ Advertisement

Nowadays with the proliferation of more and more hybrid cars on the road, the corolla is no longer that remarkable in terms of fuel efficiency. I was quite shocked the other day when i drove the Prius C. 

Oh my, puny fuel tank of 36L but the range was around 1000km.  [dizzy] 

Agreed. Hydrid covers more mileage.

I wont choose hydrid knowing there is a 3K cost to replace battery after 4-5years.

Also no confident PI workshop could hydrid battery properly. 

Some AD provide 10years warranty for battery. But need to stick with them for servicing for 10years? I don't know.

And samsung battery overheat incident might also happen to battery in vehicle in the future. 

I would stay with petrol engine for now.

Agreed. Hydrid covers more mileage.

I wont choose hydrid knowing there is a 3K cost to replace battery after 4-5years.

Also no confident PI workshop could hydrid battery properly. 

Some AD provide 10years warranty for battery. But need to stick with them for servicing for 10years? I don't know.

And samsung battery overheat incident might also happen to battery in vehicle in the future. 

I would stay with petrol engine for now.

I am impressed with Seat/VW's cylinder shutoff technology. The Leon can easily sustain 760km to 800km on one tank. No hybrid batteries involved. Not sure if the 1.0 or 1.2 TSi engines imported for the Seat Leons have cylinder shutoff technology or not.

I am impressed with Seat/VW's cylinder shutoff technology. The Leon can easily sustain 760km to 800km on one tank. No hybrid batteries involved. Not sure if the 1.0 or 1.2 TSi engines imported for the Seat Leons have cylinder shutoff technology or not.

Is the istop/start thingy? Don't like the function as engine jerk a bit when stop/start.

And ang moh brand don't usually associate with trouble free motoring.

Sorry, no offence.

Fc very hard to be accurate

Diff driving style, size of rim, weight(driver n things in the car)

City or highway drive

But for a well known good fc car to achieve single digit/l is already very jialat to me

If one bought altis because of fc and spend additional 30k compare to elantra and still getting single digit or 11km/l is consider silly to me. But saving 30k can get more features n slightly higher fc is worth it for me

I say same fc Base on what elantra n altis owner posted in mcf. Altis is the most ex sedan car in sg(exclude conti), and well known for its good fc. Quite normal for ppl to have high expectations for this model

You seem to consider a lot on official FC figures from lta when you mentioned "Diff driving style, size of rim, weight(driver n things in the car)

City or highway drive".

But when there's a comment that FC is single digit per litre, you judge that FC of the car is bad without considering all those factors that you have mentioned? Then how about those who have achieved good fc?

Some owners rarely drive so FC isn't the biggest concern to them. They may feel that other aspects, such as space, safety, noise insulation, refinement or reliability are more important.

You seem to consider a lot on official FC figures from lta when you mentioned "Diff driving style, size of rim, weight(driver n things in the car)

City or highway drive".

But when there's a comment that FC is single digit per litre, you judge that FC of the car is bad without considering all those factors that you have mentioned? Then how about those who have achieved good fc?

Some owners rarely drive so FC isn't the biggest concern to them. They may feel that other aspects, such as space, safety, noise insulation, refinement or reliability are more important.

And this is y I don't believe the tiagong from ppl like u. Only allow to say positive things on brands u prefer, when ppl post negative things, u try to eliminate them.

Is the istop/start thingy? Don't like the function as engine jerk a bit when stop/start.

And ang moh brand don't usually associate with trouble free motoring.

Sorry, no offence.

Nope start stop function is totally different from cylinder shutoff function

City or highway drive".

Bro, don't worry, the real Toyota owners have nothing to prove.

If you notice, this isn't actually an 'owners thread'. Very few owners post here. And there's very little post on issues.

Just a lot of noise from folks who diss the car, and shot it down because they don't like it.

What are facts:

Negative points

It does not have the most modern features that it's rivals have in their top end models. 

It costs more than the competition, and for a Thai made car, it is about 10k or even more than the other B&B Asian cars. 

It is not particularly fast, safe or special to look at

For a Thai made car, the OMV is quite high, but that does not translate into a very comprehensive feature list, unlike say the Chinese/Jap import Mazda 3, the Thai Civic, the Korean duo but the 2017 version does catch up with airbags, but the feature list is still sparse.

So when the price came down not long ago for their budget model, the Eco, many buyers leapt in and bought that car at under 90k. The OMV came down thanks to the 5k CEVS. So at the right price there are many many buyers.

So what are the things these buyers want?

Surely no one wants a car without auto this, and auto that?

Well.. if you see some other threads, some buyers want to turn Off their DRL, turn off their auto start stop, stop the rattles, want more legroom, simple fast service instead of waiting for a month to fix their cars, and spend months waiting to sell their car when the time comes to upgrade to another Corolla.

So the segment of buyers is Different. The needs and wants are not what a typical MCF member wants. This is something I have mentioned before. 

Some buyers want auto everything. The Corolla buyer does not camp out in MCF, asking where can he or she buy go slower spoilers, or add on more parts, then seek out go faster bits like E throttles and they do not change filters, or even upgrade their tires.

What they do is pay for the car, jump in, and drive off, never to visit this forum, except to get some pricing, what freebies to look for, and what the COE is currently. 

When it's time to service, they bring it to Toyota during the first three years, and after that, they are welcome at almost any workshop, as the chap there will have very few things to service, to trouble shoot, and even replace. When something does need replacement, the owner does not scurry around different workshops looking for the cheapest spares, or even bother to drive up North to get cheaper parts because the parts are scarce or the waiting time for the AD is super long.

Very often the workshop boss will even offer to buy over the car when the owner wishes to upgrade.

As for the FC, I think the fact that very few owners come here to complain about that, is telling. No need to defend the figures or feel offended, nor slighted. The car speaks for itself.

Can it be cheaper? DEFINITELY! It's way too expensive at 120k, especially with the low feature set. But will it be in the top ten sellers year in, year out? Yes. 

Right now with the uncertainty over the VES, the pricing is out of this world, no dispute on that. But ask the owners who bought in 2013 to 2015, and look back at the others who turned to budget conti cars from VW, Audi and others, and see who is laughing..

Cool lights and auto-fold is cute and I do appreciate the extra touch myself, but when it comes down to function over form, the Corolla buyer is one who chooses function, and reliability. 

As always YMMV and you choose the car that you like. If you feel like you need justification for buying a car that isn't a Corolla and feel burning in your loins to diss the car, sure, we do appreciate that freedom of speech stuff, and go ahead, regale in your purchases in your own owners' threads and rejoice in your choices.

The Corolla owner is also rejoicing, but he isn't here. He is on the road, not in the workshops, here or in Malaysia.

Enjoy your cars and have a good week :)

i am a slow driver. don't step on the accelerator too much. full of city driving.

Good price for a simple car. You bought it at the right time.

Enjoy your car and have a good week :)

I think it is not right to say people buy Altis just because of concerns over Fuel Consumption. FC is just but one facet of the compulsion to buy. Whats more important is the fact it is reliable, you cant argue with that. You can go and speak with any honest mechanic. What car should one get for peace of mind, they will tell you just buy an Altis. 

Different car for different folks.

My mum in law loves hers. I wish it had the 7 airbags that the current one has, but it's a solid ride.

More rear legroom than a C Class.

• Praise 5

And this is y I don't believe the tiagong from ppl like u. Only allow to say positive things on brands u prefer, when ppl post negative things, u try to eliminate them.

This is the same joker who keeps bashing the Altis (be it the FL or pre FL). He bought a mazda 3 and to him it’s the most VFM MIJ car.

Why entertain him?

• Praise 3
  • Dislike 1

The truth hurts sometimes, but facts don't lie..

In any case, we choose cars we like.

You don't find a Corolla owner going all over the forum whacking other cars.. actually most folks don't...

I think the key point is that all buyers should choose with their eyes open.

Eg, there are feature laden Conti cars, which will find it hard to go all the way to ten years. However they bring a lot of joy to the owners and perhaps keep them safe.

The Corolla sold based on it's reliability mainly so it's good to have competition to keep it on it's toes. Otherwise the typical sales rep there will not be hungry enough and neither will they improve.

So maybe we should be grateful for such dissing ;)

Bro, don't worry, the real Toyota owners have nothing to prove.

If you notice, this isn't actually an 'owners thread'. Very few owners post here. And there's very little post on issues.

Just a lot of noise from folks who diss the car, and shot it down because they don't like it.

What are facts:

Negative points

It does not have the most modern features that it's rivals have in their top end models.

It costs more than the competition, and for a Thai made car, it is about 10k or even more than the other B&B Asian cars.

It is not particularly fast, safe or special to look at

For a Thai made car, the OMV is quite high, but that does not translate into a very comprehensive feature list, unlike say the Chinese/Jap import Mazda 3, the Thai Civic, the Korean duo but the 2017 version does catch up with airbags, but the feature list is still sparse.

So when the price came down not long ago for their budget model, the Eco, many buyers leapt in and bought that car at under 90k. The OMV came down thanks to the 5k CEVS. So at the right price there are many many buyers.

So what are the things these buyers want?

Surely no one wants a car without auto this, and auto that?

Well.. if you see some other threads, some buyers want to turn Off their DRL, turn off their auto start stop, stop the rattles, want more legroom, simple fast service instead of waiting for a month to fix their cars, and spend months waiting to sell their car when the time comes to upgrade to another Corolla.

So the segment of buyers is Different. The needs and wants are not what a typical MCF member wants. This is something I have mentioned before.

Some buyers want auto everything. The Corolla buyer does not camp out in MCF, asking where can he or she buy go slower spoilers, or add on more parts, then seek out go faster bits like E throttles and they do not change filters, or even upgrade their tires.

What they do is pay for the car, jump in, and drive off, never to visit this forum, except to get some pricing, what freebies to look for, and what the COE is currently.

When it's time to service, they bring it to Toyota during the first three years, and after that, they are welcome at almost any workshop, as the chap there will have very few things to service, to trouble shoot, and even replace. When something does need replacement, the owner does not scurry around different workshops looking for the cheapest spares, or even bother to drive up North to get cheaper parts because the parts are scarce or the waiting time for the AD is super long.

Very often the workshop boss will even offer to buy over the car when the owner wishes to upgrade.

As for the FC, I think the fact that very few owners come here to complain about that, is telling. No need to defend the figures or feel offended, nor slighted. The car speaks for itself.

Can it be cheaper? DEFINITELY! It's way too expensive at 120k, especially with the low feature set. But will it be in the top ten sellers year in, year out? Yes.

Right now with the uncertainty over the VES, the pricing is out of this world, no dispute on that. But ask the owners who bought in 2013 to 2015, and look back at the others who turned to budget conti cars from VW, Audi and others, and see who is laughing..

Cool lights and auto-fold is cute and I do appreciate the extra touch myself, but when it comes down to function over form, the Corolla buyer is one who chooses function, and reliability.

As always YMMV and you choose the car that you like. If you feel like you need justification for buying a car that isn't a Corolla and feel burning in your loins to diss the car, sure, we do appreciate that freedom of speech stuff, and go ahead, regale in your purchases in your own owners' threads and rejoice in your choices.

The Corolla owner is also rejoicing, but he isn't here. He is on the road, not in the workshops, here or in Malaysia.

Enjoy your cars and have a good week :)

Good price for a simple car. You bought it at the right time.

Enjoy your car and have a good week :)

Different car for different folks.

My mum in law loves hers. I wish it had the 7 airbags that the current one has, but it's a solid ride.

More rear legroom than a C Class.

Bro,very detail analysis.

I m with you.

For me,I find the current altis looks better than the Mazda 3.

Mazda 3 long bonnet makes the cabin space horrible.

When I shop for car,Mazda 3 totally never come to my mind cos I m 1.82m,son 1.86m so for rear leg room is totally out.

The designer for Mazda 3 interior cabin space should get shot,lol...

And I don't drive altis too,haha!

• Praise 2

It sums up pretty well here. Especially the 'what I like: None'

In his words, Mazda 3 has good FC and yet when the altis, which has a bigger engine and power output, has the same FC, it becomes trash.

Find 1 mz3 who have fc like 9km/l. I hardly even heard ppl mentioned 11km/l

And I get this figure who claim they r the owners of altis, but of course ppl like u prefer to tiagong, the good fc, cheap maintainances n reliability. As though other brand with better specs n features can't achieve the same just because it's cheaper n made from diff country.

And open ur eyes n see how many ppl suan this model when 1 member said it cost 119k+. I only can think of one ppl who want to keep others mouth shut at this period or another member who don't know why so concern whether altis can be the top seller car of the yr

Bro,very detail analysis.

I m with you.

For me,I find the current altis looks better than the Mazda 3.

Mazda 3 long bonnet makes the cabin space horrible.

When I shop for car,Mazda 3 totally never come to my mind cos I m 1.82m,son 1.86m so for rear leg room is totally out.

The designer for Mazda 3 interior cabin space should get shot,lol...

And I don't drive altis too,haha!

I agree with you and I am on your side.

The Mazda 3 has a seemingly small boot of 408L by VDA measurements and there is quite a useless

hump in between the rear seats ,like for what?Not as if the car is all wheel drive or rear wheel drive .It is just a normal front wheel drive compact car that has no use for a tall transmission tunnel except to make the person sitting in middle seat opened legged. The designers that designed the Mazda 3 and other cars with a useless rear tunnel must be drunk...

Said this not to offend anyone. I just hate redundancies, not the Mazda 3 in particular.

Thanks

• Praise 2

Find 1 mz3 who have fc like 9km/l. I hardly even heard ppl mentioned 11km/l

And I get this figure who claim they r the owners of altis, but of course ppl like u prefer to tiagong, the good fc, cheap maintainances n reliability. As though other brand with better specs n features can't achieve the same just because it's cheaper n made from diff country.

And open ur eyes n see how many ppl suan this model when 1 member said it cost 119k+. I only can think of one ppl who want to keep others mouth shut at this period or another member who don't know why so concern whether altis can be the top seller car of the yr

Isn't your 9kmpl from tiagong on this forum unless you are driving it yourself?

The poster to that already said he's driving 90+% city with start stop traffic. Have you put your mz3 through the same conditions before? What if the driver does a lot of idling, were you there to do a controlled test?

Btw, car club has loaded a video up on YouTube based on 70% highway driving on the expressway and the mazda3 came up to 12.5km per litre. That isn't bad but if you do imagine 90% city, the numbers may hover around that of the Altis too.

You have to be fair and compare apple to apple here, instead of going around claiming that Altis can run at 9kmpl.

Isn't your 9kmpl from tiagong on this forum unless you are driving it yourself?

The poster to that already said he's driving 90+% city with start stop traffic. Have you put your mz3 through the same conditions before? What if the driver does a lot of idling, were you there to do a controlled test?

Btw, car club has loaded a video up on YouTube based on 70% highway driving on the expressway and the mazda3 came up to 12.5km per litre. That isn't bad but if you do imagine 90% city, the numbers may hover around that of the Altis too.

You have to be fair and compare apple to apple here, instead of going around claiming that Altis can run at 9kmpl.

Do u know what I'm trying to tell u.

Most ppl tiagong say altis good fc, cheap maintainable n reliable. Now someone mentioned it can achieve a 9km/l which is definitely far from good fc. I know u will say if mz3 is 12.5km/l the 90% city it will be worse. FYI I achieve 16km/l but of course not 90% city drive

Talking abt maintenance, I read it from somewhere an altis member showing the breakdown of the svc list which he complaint it's not as cheap as what he tiagong. And there is even a thread in mcf complaining the realiablities of the previous altis

I'm just highlighting the issues while there another group keep brainwashing others it's reliable, cheap maintainable n good fc. Imagine every time someone want to speak their experiences, straight away kana bash n dislike. Of course no ppl dare to post la, and if u don't want ppl to post 9km/l or 11km/l, pm them and ask them not to post in future and only allow the post positive things la

Edited by Kia7200
  • Dislike 3

Do u know what I'm trying to tell u.

Most ppl tiagong say altis good fc, cheap maintainable n reliable. Now someone mentioned it can achieve a 9km/l which is definitely far from good fc. I know u will say if mz3 is 12.5km/l the 90% city it will be worse. FYI I achieve 16km/l but of course not 90% city drive

Talking abt maintenance, I read it from somewhere an altis member showing the breakdown of the svc list which he complaint it's not as cheap as what he tiagong. And there is even a thread in mcf complaining the realiablities of the previous altis

I'm just highlighting the issues while there another group keep brainwashing others it's reliable, cheap maintainable n good fc. Imagine every time someone want to speak their experiences, straight away kana bash n dislike. Of course no ppl dare to post la, and if u don't want ppl to post 9km/l or 11km/l, pm them and ask them not to post in future and only allow the post positive things la

I know what you are trying to tell me, that you are someone driving a mazda3 trying very hard to discredit here.

9km per l in 90+% city driving, imho, can already be considered good FC. Try doing 90% on any non hybrid vehicle, what in your opinion is good FC under that driving condition with lots of idling and start stop?

There are always either extremes of fc, somebody who drives a lot on the expressway can also see 16-18km/l, we even see people posting that on the harrier turbo thread.

There's nothing wrong with people posting 9kmpl, as you can see none of us actually criticised the one who posted it.

What I strongly disagree is how you use this to judge. Carclub posted 12.5kmpl for the mazda3 with 70% highway. Should one judge that it is terrible too?

As for maintenance, the Toyota pricelist is on their webby, no need tiagong. As for reliability, there will always be issues regardless of make. Even the JD surveys test the number of repairs per sample size to determine reliability, not 0 repair required.

Edited by Invigorated
↡ Advertisement