2017 Toyota Corolla Altis new Facelift

AltisOwner

If I am Borneo I won't go any lower.

Why compete with what Toyota owners perceive as a lower model?

They are already the top selling, and should continue to be so, given their loyal fan base.

Borneo doesn't need MCF buyers, the majority of buyers aren't in this forum.

They keep with the low OMV, higher price model and if they sell about the same amount, it's a good year..

The problem was that their margins have gone down, with VFM models like the Wish, and cut throat margins on the run out 2016 Corolla.

So cutting margins will only lead to more job lay offs for them.

The new year is promising. The new facelift model looks good, building on an already popular model, add a few more safety and other features, restore the previous price tag and margin, and they make more, selling less. Already their sales staff are more busy than they can cope.

Add on the new Camry, which looks good with many positive features, and even the CHR around the corner, it looks like a good year for Toyota.

So there is no reason for them to go cheap and compete with the Koreans on price.

If thaiyota wana sell their car at that price, they better offer something good. Stop treating their supporters like some kiasi bo ji buyers.

Usually they look uncle or nerdy to.me

↡ Advertisement

Not sure if BM has the margin to go lower. One motoring has information on the basic cost of each car. At Coe 48k, the basic cost of altis (elegance) is about 46k. Including coe, the total cost of a car is 94k. During motorshow week, Coe is hovering around 50k if I recall correctly, so cost of car should be around 96k. And with promo, the selling cost is 101k for elegance model. So their margin should be only around 5k. If they give us gps navigation, front camera, reverse camera etc.. Say total about 1k, their margin reduced to 4K. Minus away SE commission (dunno how much), what is left for BM?

Comparatively, Kia k3 (SX model) cost is 41.5k, with Coe 50k, total,cost at 91k, selling at 100k (motorshow week), KIA margin about 9k. Factor in accessories, margin reduce to 7k to 8k?

Civic margin About 10k more than altis.

Above is correct if I interpreted the info correctly.

Ya K3 interior looks good n spacious. Exterior is modern too, and its like 10k + cheaper

Altis should price their car lower in order to stay competitive in future

Neutral Newbie

If I am Borneo I won't go any lower.

Why compete with what Toyota owners perceive as a lower model?

They are already the top selling, and should continue to be so, given their loyal fan base. 

Borneo doesn't need MCF buyers, the majority of buyers aren't in this forum. 

They keep with the low OMV, higher price model and if they sell about the same amount, it's a good year..

The problem was that their margins have gone down, with VFM models like the Wish, and cut throat margins on the run out 2016 Corolla.

So cutting margins will only lead to more job lay offs for them.

The new year is promising. The new facelift model looks good, building on an already popular model, add a few more safety and other features, restore the previous price tag and margin, and they make more, selling less. Already their sales staff are more busy than they can cope.

Add on the new Camry, which looks good with many positive features, and even the CHR around the corner, it looks like a good year for Toyota. 

So there is no reason for them to go cheap and compete with the Koreans on price.

i test drove K3, Elantra and Altis.

Based on what the ADs quoted me, Altis is the cheapest now, followed by Elantra then K3.

In terms of features, K3 is not that much better than Altis coz it has only 2 air bags.

Elantra has  a full suite of features including 7 air bags.

Personally I find that K3 and Elantra have steering that are too light.

Doesn't give me enough feedback and control of the car esp at high speed.

The Altis steering is nicely weighted (for me at least) and the grip is rougher than the two silky smooth steering wheels of the Korean cars, which gives me better grip when I steer. 

In terms of ramping, the CVT does seem smoother than the AT but the noise level of the engine are pretty similar.

Oh, the Elantra's sound system sounded very muffled, IMO.

Not sure if BM has the margin to go lower. One motoring has information on the basic cost of each car. At Coe 48k, the basic cost of altis (elegance) is about 46k. Including coe, the total cost of a car is 94k. During motorshow week, Coe is hovering around 50k if I recall correctly, so cost of car should be around 96k. And with promo, the selling cost is 101k for elegance model. So their margin should be only around 5k. If they give us gps navigation, front camera, reverse camera etc.. Say total about 1k, their margin reduced to 4K. Minus away SE commission (dunno how much), what is left for BM?

Comparatively, Kia k3 (SX model) cost is 41.5k, with Coe 50k, total,cost at 91k, selling at 100k (motorshow week), KIA margin about 9k. Factor in accessories, margin reduce to 7k to 8k?

Civic margin About 10k more than altis.

Above is correct if I interpreted the info correctly.

Yup for now BM margin appears to be quite small but we are not sure how every dealer is with the base price. 

Looks and features the Kia is pretty solid but the K3 and Elantra sibling have not been achieving great real-life fuel economy if you check their threads and overseas owners online...

• Praise 1

Based on what the ADs quoted me, Altis is the cheapest now, followed by Elantra then K3.

In terms of features, K3 is not that much better than Altis coz it has only 2 air bags.

Elantra has  a full suite of features including 7 air bags.

The Altis steering is nicely weighted (for me at least) and the grip is rougher than the two silky smooth steering wheels of the Korean cars, which gives me better grip when I steer. 

In terms of ramping, the CVT does seem smoother than the AT but the noise level of the engine are pretty similar.

Sounds like you have made up your mind..

You can pretty much bet that the facelift version will cost more.

MTL..

But this version only 2 air bag and no vsc leh

Well you want this and that, you will need to pay..

If you want a safer vehicle, the Honda HRV, BMW 116d, Merc A 180, Audi A3 are all 5 star rated cars..

Some of them have 7 airbags, and traction stability, collision prevention and more..

The conti cars in particular, give solid steering feel, firm suspensions, and a good feel at high speeds. They also have more power than the Thai and Korean cars..

Edited by therock

Elantra has a full suite of features including 7 air bags.

I tested the k3 and altis too. I think both steerings are equally light. Feature wise k3 has more than altis. And i thought both cars have only 2 airbags.

Turbocharged

When I last tried the Altis I felt its steering was completely feelingless. No sensation of connection to the front wheels. Granted the roads weren't that bumpy and the speeds were kept modest, but it didn't give me any confidence.

That said it was very "easy".

When I last tried the Altis I felt its steering was completely feelingless. No sensation of connection to the front wheels. Granted the roads weren't that bumpy and the speeds were kept modest, but it didn't give me any confidence.

That said it was very "easy".

Oh i agree. I was a bit taken aback how unfeeling the steering can be. How can i get a wife that is feeling-less? Kidding.

Oh i agree. I was a bit taken aback how unfeeling the steering can be. How can i get a wife that is feeling-less? Kidding.

If altis is feelingless, then I don't know how to describe K3 and Elantra. Machiam Daytona in the arcade?

I guess different girls give us different feel, so we don't all choose the same wife. 

• Praise 2

Elantra has a full suite of features including 7 air bags.

Possible to pm me the pricing and package you got? Tks!
  • Praise 1

Altis the cheapest now among k3 and elantra? Then altis is below 91999k

Mind telling us the price, a newbie telling ppl altis r cheapest, hard for me not to think u r the se from bm

I am comparing to the best variants of each car i.e. Altis Elegance vs K3 Forte Sx vs Elantra Elite.

And the price I was quoted was before CNY. prices may have changed.

do your own checking with AD. you don't have to believe me.

anyway the price in sgcarmart is different from the one Kia SE quoted me.

And the Sx apparently doesn't come with the reverse cam / touch screen / solar film.

I got to top up 1.5k for these things.

not sure if the SE is trying to con me or anything but after comparison, I decided not to take it.

Edited by chiamt02

Folks, do keep your discussion on 2017 FL altis rather than mudslinging one another on the current 1.6 or equivalent sedan. To those trolls, you know who you are, be more mature pls.

My 2 cents

On a side note, saw a light blue picanto the other day while driving and it is pretty erm.....kiddish.

Ciaoz

Edited by Drion
  • Dislike 1

If altis is feelingless, then I don't know how to describe K3 and Elantra. Machiam Daytona in the arcade?

I guess different girls give us different feel, so we don't all choose the same wife.

You made a point there :)

I am comparing to the best variants of each car i.e. Altis Elegance vs K3 Forte Sx vs Elantra Elite.

And the price I was quoted was before CNY. prices may have changed.

do your own checking with AD. you don't have to believe me.

anyway the price in sgcarmart is different from the one Kia SE quoted me.

And the Sx apparently doesn't come with the reverse cam / touch screen / solar film.

I got to top up 1.5k for these things.

not sure if the SE is trying to con me or anything but after comparison, I decided not to take it.

From what I know, the K3 ex version is already quite equipped with features. Unlike the standard altis, no leather seat, no retractable mirror, no keyless etc.

So maybe u should compare the K3 ex vs the altis elegant.

The reason why Toyota never improve is mainly because there r ppl who blindly support altis, even if they sell at unreasonable price with low features.

• Dislike 1

From what I know, the K3 ex version is already quite equipped with features. Unlike the standard altis, no leather seat, no retractable mirror, no keyless etc.

So maybe u should compare the K3 ex vs the altis elegant.

The reason why Toyota never improve is mainly because there r ppl who blindly support altis, even if they sell at unreasonable price with low features.

He WAS comparing K3 Ex vs Altis elegance. BM has been promoting Altis Elegance at $99,988 with 5 years servicing with guaranteed COE since early Jan. Depreciation for Altis elegance is lower considering the higher OMV and 5 years servicing. Edited by X18
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1