Mercedes Owners Thread

therock

Just an interesting sight...

A GLA with Red Weekend Plate... wouldn't it be better to spend the $$ on a smaller and cheaper car to drive everywhere than an expensive car that is only used during the weekend?

YMMV I guess..

On 9/15/2019 at 9:31 PM, Splinter said:

Like to seek feedback from GLA180 owners.

I went for test drive today at Mercedes showroom and my experience as follows:

• Cabin insulation - Road noise is apparent and engine noise can get quite loud (both idling and driving). Automated start-stop was disabled and drove mainly on comfort mode. The roar from the engine is quite bad in sports mode. 
  • Bumpy ride, especially over road humps
  • Acceleration seems non-linear, I had to floor the accelerator pretty hard to get the car to speed up.

Was what I had experienced something that is expected? If I am correct, GLA180 is using dual clutch transmission but the acceleration seems so different from Skoda Karoq (on DCT as well). 

To set expectations, I have been a Kimchi boy since my first car - started off with KIA Cerato and now driving a Hyundai Elantra. I am looking to change to a crossover/SUV and recently test drove Skoda Karoq.

Appreciate any feedback, thanks!

To set expectations, it's a GLA180 you test drove. The lowest lifeform in the Mercs SUV lineup.

You want a comfortable ride and good power, minimum is GLC200.

• Haha! 1

30 minutes ago, therock said:

A GLA with Red Weekend Plate... wouldn't it be better to spend the $$ on a smaller and cheaper car to drive everywhere than an expensive car that is only used during the weekend?

YMMV I guess..

2 reasons I can think of.

1. Too rich, bought a toy Mercs SUV for driving occasionally on weekends.

2. Too poor to afford driving to work, at least got a weekend Mercs to haolian.

47 minutes ago, therock said:

YMMV I guess..

It’s the rich getting richer. Why pay lta extra? Probably many cars to drive. Spare car. 

• Praise 1

10 hours ago, flashbang said:

To set expectations, it's a GLA180 you test drove. The lowest lifeform in the Mercs SUV lineup.

You want a comfortable ride and good power, minimum is GLC200.

I realise that. Prior to test driving, I was expecting the ride comfort to minimally be on par with Skoda Karoq. 

Expectations set and managed. 🙂

The MFA platform isn’t known for a magic carpet ride, and that’s not because it’s an entry level platform la.. the BMW 2 series has a great ride even though that’s their entry level chassis 

something to bear in mind, the GLA is a soft SUV, like the old A class on stilts rather than a true SUV. You get it because it looks nice, rather than for any perceived ability to go off-road and eat mud... 

Edited by therock

On 9/22/2019 at 1:06 PM, therock said:

YMMV I guess..

Saw a souped up brand new VW GTI with PHV decal. 

I guess I cannot fathom what goes though the owner's mind too. 

9 minutes ago, Vratenza said:

10 years loan is what I'm thinking... plus evening and weekend part time driving to cover the running costs. 

It's much clearer with PHV compared to red plate. 17k off for red plate is not very worth it IMO as you lose 5/7 days to drive, which is 70%. 17k isn't 70% of a car cost.

• Praise 2

1 hour ago, Vratenza said:

Maybe the driver owns the ride but subsidizes it through offer grab services on the side?

PHV decal does not always mean the car is leased/rented. 

8 hours ago, Prataboy said:

Maybe the driver owns the ride but subsidizes it through offer grab services on the side?

PHV decal does not always mean the car is leased/rented. 

My issue is not whether it is leased or fully owned.

My issue here is that VW GTI is not a B&B car. It is a hot hatch. Golf TSI can be considered a B&B car. Running cost of GTI is not the same as a corolla/prius. 

Even if the guy fully paid for the GTI but yet find the need to "subsidise" his running cost on a regular basis just to sustain his ride... Than that guy really need to have a hard relook at his priorities in life. 

Of course, if it is yolo, every other argument goes out of the window. 

• Praise 1

On 9/8/2019 at 9:06 PM, therock said:

What car does your 'friend' drive? 
Like the Chivas Regal ad, if you need to know the price, enjoy the scenery... so to paraphrase that: If you need to check if you were asked, you probably weren't... 😉

In any case if it's any comfort to you, I only get an sms from my rep for the most entry level cars... no official launch invite even..

Thanks.

My fren & I both not 老板 so both not 'S' or 'E'  but then YOLO.

Like what fellow bros / sis hv shared(many thx to all responses 🖤  ), that's why not VIP. Can only go to Merc Sg FB and drool .... 😬

But I did rec the birthday "gift" from C&C recently.

On 9/16/2019 at 2:44 PM, TeamAMG69 said:

suggest you wait for the 2020 GLA instead, cos the one that you test drive is the "old model" - end of life / production liao

The new 2020 GLA may price around S$15k more than the current GLA. Just like the new CLA. 

• Praise 1

On 9/15/2019 at 9:31 PM, Splinter said:

Like to seek feedback from GLA180 owners.

I went for test drive today at Mercedes showroom and my experience as follows:

• Cabin insulation - Road noise is apparent and engine noise can get quite loud (both idling and driving). Automated start-stop was disabled and drove mainly on comfort mode. The roar from the engine is quite bad in sports mode. 
  • Bumpy ride, especially over road humps
  • Acceleration seems non-linear, I had to floor the accelerator pretty hard to get the car to speed up.

Was what I had experienced something that is expected? If I am correct, GLA180 is using dual clutch transmission but the acceleration seems so different from Skoda Karoq (on DCT as well). 

To set expectations, I have been a Kimchi boy since my first car - started off with KIA Cerato and now driving a Hyundai Elantra. I am looking to change to a crossover/SUV and recently test drove Skoda Karoq.

Appreciate any feedback, thanks!

I drove the GLA180 since late Dec 2018 and I loved the drive comfort and road noise as compared to my previous car is much better and the turbo is good for overtaking. I never like skoda and so unable to comment and compare. I bought GLA180 is because I got good offer and is a Merc.

• Praise 2

28 minutes ago, BobbyTan_74287 said:

I drove the GLA180 since late Dec 2018 and I loved the drive comfort and road noise as compared to my previous car is much better and the turbo is good for overtaking. I never like skoda and so unable to comment and compare. I bought GLA180 is because I got good offer and is a Merc.

Thanks for sharing! :)

• Praise 2

5 hours ago, BobbyTan_74287 said:

Thanks for frank sharing

As long as happy can already 😃

• Praise 5

23 hours ago, jk228b said:

Anyone took up the extended warranty after 3 year? Care to share opinions if it is worthwhile and also experience? Thanks!

How much is the extended warranty?

↡ Advertisement