Are there too many gadgets in new modern cars?

Philipkee

in that scenario where every body tries to divert to another route then the surrounding roads will also be clogged up......i kana a few times before especially in bke. Tried to siam by taking mandai road but the road to kje also jammed like f***......after that tried to siam by using cck by sungei kadut, that road also jammed. Everybody tries to escape the jam but everywhere else jammed.......

↡ Advertisement

i agree 100%........America is a country where they love their cars......especially those American made and they try to facelift their classic cars with original parts and keep the looks as mint as possible to the ori. No gadgets just the basics with good audios and they are set to go paying the price of a good sports car to make them as ori as possible. We instead try to bring a creatures comfort to ours just because that the technology allows us.......which actually makes driving pleasure a nightmare because many drives while bring preoccupied with the technology.

What u see is the modding scene in US of A.

There is another spectrum of drivers who want every bell and whistles.

Just look at Tesla.

Supersonic

Is the phone gps better than the car inbuilt one?

In Singapore, consumers go for gadgets rather than airbags. Car agents are mainly catering to their demands

Make safety features mandatory for the cars, and additional gadget features that consumers choose to pay.
  • Praise 1

in that scenario where every body tries to divert to another route then the surrounding roads will also be clogged up......i kana a few times before especially in bke. Tried to siam by taking mandai road but the road to kje also jammed like f***......after that tried to siam by using cck by sungei kadut, that road also jammed. Everybody tries to escape the jam but everywhere else jammed.......ðððð.

That's why live traffic is important. You get to see which alternate routes are available and the time taken for each option.

Waze and Google Maps are useful in such scenarios.

• Praise 1

That's because you don't use WAZE.

I come from the era of map book. For every road trip, I planned the entire route using paper and pen.

Front passenger is my navigator.

from wdlands to kje (jurong).....not much choice lei unless one uses the old kranji dam way.....

That's why live traffic is important. You get to see which alternate routes are available and the time taken for each option.

Waze and Google Maps are useful in such scenarios.

i rather stick to the original route then divert and get into another jam unless the jam is like the kje bus and bus accident where the jam is all the way from woodlands or even further and the eways had to be closed for traffic. If this happens all the surrounding alternative roads will be jammed. This seldom happens so for me gps or waze is not a necessity and my work doesnt need me to be on the road while working.......lucky for me.

so for all the driving/driver's aids which will the most useful or most used or must have:

ESC - Electronic Stability Control (aka ESC or DSC depending on manfacturer)

ABS?

Reverse sensor?

Reverse camera?

360 all around camera?

Cruise control?

Adaptive cruise control

Pre crash braking?

Lane departure warning?

Blind spot detection warning?

Auto parking?

Road sign recognition?

so for all the driving/driver's aids which will the most useful or most used or must have:

ABS?

Reverse sensor?

Reverse camera?

360 all around camera?

Cruise control?

Adaptive cruise control

Pre crash braking?

Lane departure warning?

Auto parking?

Road sign recognition?

abs and cameras........no need to explain.

Singapore is so small......need gps mei? Unless one usually drives in MY i dont see the need for it in sg. Back in the 80s we used to laugh at our friends who cant find their way in sg. We always tell these buggers they are better off taking taxi, bus or mrt.....ððð. Now i will check our destination while waiting for the kids and oc to get ready. I just dont want to get distracted while driving.

Within Singapore I use it (which takes into considerations traffic jams) to find fastest routes, less so to actually find the destination.

Within Singapore I use it (which takes into considerations traffic jams) to find fastest routes, less so to actually find the destination.

after trial and testing (if office is fixed) i will always try each route to take and compare which is better and faster. But if 5 to 10 minutes difference......then i will reconsider taking account into different factors such as traffic lights and road congestions. No need to change the habits if its less than 5 mins difference......i would just go out a bit earlier.

Actually, with live traffic, it helps even if you're a seasoned road user who's knowledgeable with routes over the island. Unless you have some means to monitor every roadwork/accident along your path, these info can potentially help to divert from some time-wasting.

For me, it helps to learn new routes when I'm being "re-routed" now and then. Most apps are capable of provided the route upfront or even narrating along the way, so hardly need to look at the screen.

We need more newbies like you in the forum who talk sense! Welcome to MCF!
  • Praise 5

Singapore is so small......need gps mei? Unless one usually drives in MY i dont see the need for it in sg. Back in the 80s we used to laugh at our friends who cant find their way in sg. We always tell these buggers they are better off taking taxi, bus or mrt.....

Supersonic

ABS?

Reverse sensor?

Reverse camera?

360 all around camera?

Cruise control?

Adaptive cruise control

Pre crash braking?

Lane departure warning?

Auto parking?

Road sign recognition?

ESC

ABS

TCS

Reverse sensor 

Reverse camera

Pre crash braking

At least 4 airbags

These should be essentials that will enhance the safety of the cars.

The rest in the list should be additional features consumers choose to pay.

The car makers focus on the wrong things.

Things like fuel economy but they keep adding stuff into the car that are irrelevant and make it heavy. Some things they say it's for safety but despite having these safety stuff ppl still die in the car.

When they can't be bothered to make the drive more fun they just throw in some gadgets to "update" the car and make it stand out from other cars. Strangely some car buyers go for the gadgets rather dan the car. Best of all they stop using them after a while. Which makes you think these ppl are plain greedy and the sales strategy works for these ppl.

Another trend coming is the reliance on technology to so called save lives. Drivers would rather rely on tech to do the emergency braking rather dan relying on own driving instinct and drivers' reaction to do the e-braking. This will allow the drivers to relax on their alertness thinking their car on having this tech and they distract themselves by using more of their phones.

Edited by Watwheels
  • Praise 3

That way Porsche is the best, except chassis, transmission and engine, everything else is literally add on.

Mini is also quote bare.

SE said it's to save weight and for the maximum kart-like driving experience.

Things like fuel economy but they keep adding stuff into the car that are irrelevant and make it heavy. Some things they say it's for safety but despite having these safety stuff ppl still die in the car.

When they can't be bothered to make the drive more fun they just throw in some gadgets to "update" the car and make it stand out from other cars. Strangely some car buyers go for the gadgets rather dan the car. Best of all they stop using them after a while. Which makes you think these ppl are plain greedy and the sales strategy works for these ppl.

Like the BMW gesture controls... For what use sia

i agree.........its a hao lian shout out like....hey see.....i have the best in driving technology which actually takes away the joy of driving....
↡ Advertisement