SPH retrenching 140 employees due to Covid-19

kobayashiGT

43 minutes ago, Scion said:

for one, wish they shut down HWZ that extremely toxic and childish forum

the tech review and magazine can stay though

genie is out of the bottle. shut down one forum, people will just move to another.

↡ Advertisement

4 hours ago, Mockngbrd said:

This part not true. Locally, Mediacorp is the other big competitor (and they are really Gahmen $$$) and also non-traditional news/media companies. Even tho SPH has some links to Gahmen, it is still a company that needs to make its own $$$. Advertisers the biggest wld be those property launches which have pretty much dried up also during CB. 

I guess SPH is pretty much screwed with the decline in big $$$ printed ads (property developers as you mentioned). 

My impression is that Mediacorp dominates the likes of broadcasting, SPH for the traditional printed stuff (newspapers) and the non-traditional news/media companies have their piece within the online sphere? Perhaps you are in a better position to elaborate more as you have experience within the advertising industry. 

I wrote that SPH is their own competition here, on the basis that there isn't any equivalent here to compete against them in the business of traditional printed media (newspapers as the core business). 

Will this affect mycarforum? I do read edmw sometimes their discussion move fast alot is nonsense chatting but they appear in alot of search results. I read  their credit card threads.... 

1 hour ago, Lethalstrike said:

I guess SPH is pretty much screwed with the decline in big $$$ printed ads (property developers as you mentioned). 

My impression is that Mediacorp dominates the likes of broadcasting, SPH for the traditional printed stuff (newspapers) and the non-traditional news/media companies have their piece within the online sphere? Perhaps you are in a better position to elaborate more as you have experience within the advertising industry. 

I wrote that SPH is their own competition here, on the basis that there isn't any equivalent here to compete against them in the business of traditional printed media (newspapers as the core business). 

Mediacorp and sph are competing on news, not just print but online as well (ST vs CNA/Today) and also radio. But Mediacorp has gahmen $$$, sph does not. 

Edited by Mockngbrd
  • Praise 2

For property..... people go to property guru and for cars is Sgcarmart ; maybe people looking for jobs and obituary and little of biz news , damn it they even shrunk the comics strip to less than even 10% of a page ...... damn stress lah ......Garfield soon will git the boot from Ody 

• Haha! 5

Turbocharged
6 hours ago, Scion said:

for one, wish they shut down HWZ that extremely toxic and childish forum

the tech review and magazine can stay though

Gibe chance lah bro..every society needs a pressure release valve..a vent...they kpkb at night but next morning guai guai go to work and pay their taxes...if all these vents are gone..we might just end up like hong kong...so barng chance lah..

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 4

20 hours ago, yishunite said:

Yalor... at least 80% of their woes started before covid and under Ng

Now 100% of the problem is thanks to Covid... convenient. Please make him CEO for life like his lookalike in NK 😅

I think when times are good, people can't be bothered.

However, when so many people have been retrenched, their salary halved or even worse $0 income all these high income earners become the spotlight.

Like some of the folks here pointed out, all these high SES earners make honest mistakes when peasants like me cannot afford to make any mistakes but earning a fraction of their remuneration.

That of course will not sit well for the majority.

• Praise 1

19 hours ago, Lethalstrike said:

I realized that SPH is yet to be totally delisted. It's still trading today except share price is sliding down steadily over the past 5 years. 

The article stated that its taken out as a key component of the STI, meaning it's no longer a blue chip as it once was. 

Done his job? That depends. If expectations of him is just be there to liquidate and wind down the business, then probably he is doing it right. If his role as a CEO is to bring it back to profits and increase its share price, I am inclined to think Ng isn't the guy to deliver the results. 

Bro, I really like your humor :grin:

tenor.gif

Can anybody hire me as CEO so that I can wind down their businesses over a period of peaceful time so nobody will notice?

• Haha! 2

Internal Moderator
18 hours ago, Weez911 said:

http://investor.sph.com.sg/main_shareholder.html

These are the largest shareholders of SPH:

Ordinary.JPG.8f5eb5447e8ee59640d8e4f43ff55313.JPG

Management.JPG.cda24f47fd389c137d6a290ac8022a1f.JPG

The holders of above management shares have 200 votes per management shares when it comes to appointment or dismissal of a director or any member of staff of SPH.

Largest shareholders of OCBC:

OCBC.JPG.555084e79f644a9e2ae17a6496f9a204.JPG

As evidenced above, OCBC and Temasek have a big say in the appointment and dismissal of key personnel of SPH.

Obviously there is nothing to comment about Temasek...

Next, we have to wonder why OCBC (and GE controlled by them) is happy with the people running the media business (Fatty Ng is safe because of SPH other businesses). Is it because they do not have majority of the management shares? Not sure, but you can see Temasek everywhere literally.

Woah. Lee so rich, lee latex, lee pineapple, lee plantation, lee rubber. 🤑

• Haha! 2

6 hours ago, Windwaver said:

Bro, I really like your humor :grin:

tenor.gif

Can anybody hire me as CEO so that I can wind down their businesses over a period of peaceful time so nobody will notice?

You need to get in the queue after me 😁

• Haha! 1

Ownself check ownself...no one to vet her script...need to hire one more head count to cross check...job creation with the honest amateurish mistake 😁

• Haha! 1

11 minutes ago, Kb27 said:

The parent company of Google starts with an "A"

Maybe she thinks it's Apple that owns Google.

Is it amd 😁

• Haha! 1

Although I have subscribed ST for 40 or more years, frankly there is nothing there that you couldn't get from the Internet. Once upon a time, classified adv such as job search, cars, etc are still very relevant. 

Maybe there isn't enough competition. CNA is also getting very boring with their repeated news. 

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1