Jump to content
Extraordinary deal from Jaguar! Watch our FB Live, 8PM, 4th March 2021 (Get $10 Petrol Voucher when you register here!) Read more... ×
Carbon82

Reinventing the Wheel - Tesla Edition

Recommended Posts

Hypersonic

Once upon a time, driving different car model is just about knowing whether it come with a clutch, the signal / wiper stalk are located on the left or right hand side of the steering and maybe, how to switch on the headlight and that's about all.

Suddenly, things started to get much complicated with BMW and Mercedes changing our mental model of how a gear knob should be (shifting and positioning), LCD screen replacing space used to be occupied by knobs and buttons, voice control (don't make the stupid mistake of calling out "Hey Mercedes" when you are behind the wheel of a say 7 series), etc.

Back to the topic, in case you are not aware, Tesla made headline a couple of days ago for its revolutionary cockpit layout for its 2021 Model S and X. Now, if you find adjusting radio volume or aircon temperature on a touch screen a pain in the a$$, you are in for deeper sh*t!

Tesla's Model S and X revamp says RIP to the traditional steering wheel

Tesla-mew-steering-wheel-hero.jpg?qualit

This isn't a yoke.

On Wednesday, Tesla rolled out the new interior look for its refreshed Model S and X electric cars. Both feature a new steering wheel design and touchscreen layout. Tesla is calling the new wheel a "stalkless steering yoke," meaning there's no stalk to press for the turn signal or to change drive modes.

Tesla describes the new steering wheel, which has no stalk: "The ultimate focus on driving: no stalks, no shifting. With a stalkless steering yoke, you can enjoy both the best car to drive, and the best car to be driven in."

BUT, how to maneuver the car with a game console-like steering wheel, how to signal, switch on the wiper and  headlight, etc?  These used to be something very straight forward till Tesla decided to make it a rocket science, at least it seems now. It is once again going to rewrite the mental model we have built up over the past few decades of driving...

Tesla-new-Model-S-picture-steering-wheel

Previously, Tesla used stalks on its steering wheels like most other vehicles for turn signals, headlights, and windshield wiper controls, and unlike other automakers, Tesla even used steering wheel stalks for other controls like Autopilot and the drive modes (PRND).

Tesla’s new steering wheel has none of that as the steering column is not equipped with any stalk. It’s instead packaged into a streamlined butterfly steering wheel design.

The steering wheel is equipped with the same scrolls already found on the Model 3 and Model Y wheel, but it now features new force touch buttons for the turn signals, high beams, honk, Autopilot, windshield control, and voice commands.

Screen-Shot-2021-01-27-at-10.00.48-PM.jp

In order to replace the stalks, Tesla is betting on a mix of AI and force touch buttons on the steering wheels to replace these functions. Ultimately, Tesla’s hope is that all these functions will be performed automatically by the vehicle.

That strategy is especially shown by Tesla’s solution to replace the drive mode (PRND) stalk. The vehicle uses its Autopilot sensors to intelligently and automatically determine intended drive modes and select them. For example, if the front of Model S/X is facing a garage wall, it will detect this and automatically shift to Reverse once the driver presses the brake pedal. This eliminates one more step for the drivers of the world’s most intelligent production cars.

That’s quite a change in the way to operate a car, but Tesla is making sure that people are not too confused about it by adding force touch controls for “Park, Reverse, Neutral, and Drive” drive modes at the base of the phone charger on the center console (touch screen nevertheless).

Similarly, the car will sense and predict the need for direction change and switch on the left or right signal light on your behalf. If you want to DIY, head towards the touch screen... OMG!!

What's you thought of these innovation? Pray really hard that the system don't hang while you are in the car, it not longer matters if you are behind the wheel or not...

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Turbocharged

Not cheap man the plaid+ version... i think SG will cost >600k..

  • Praise 2
  • Shocked 1
  • Haha! 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Twincharged (edited)
2 hours ago, Beanoyip said:

Not cheap man the plaid+ version... i think SG will cost >600k..

Plaid has supercar killing specs Consider cheap for that price liao. But of course owning exotic cars is much more than 0-100.

Edited by Jellandross
  • Praise 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Hypersonic
1 hour ago, Beanoyip said:

Latest update

 

Tesla's controversial aircraft-style steering wheel is just one of two options, the company's online configurator reveals.

https://www.caradvice.com.au/919553/2022-tesla-model-s-to-offer-circular-steering-wheel-according-to-configurator/

The thing is, with the new steering wheel design seen as a safety risk, will the various transport agencies across the globe approve it for road use? 

Tesla's new steering yoke isn't retro, it's a safety risk

A razor-sharp steering rack (180 degree turn to turn) is a great thing on the racetrack. On the highway, a tiny bump to the wheel would send you spearing across three lanes of traffic. For your average driver, that's a risky proposition.

Ever hit a pothole and have the steering wheel slip in your hands? It's disconcerting, but so long as your wheel is round (or D-shaped at least) you can quickly regrip the wheel.

Now, imagine that happening on Tesla's new steering yoke. At least one of your hands is going to be grasping at thin air.

When the front wheels of a car are involved in the impact, the steering wheel can very forcefully twist in one direction or another.

While it's possible to get a sprained wrist or even a broken thumb if you're gripping the wheel too hard, a round wheel will naturally shield your hands and the rest of your person from serious injury. The leading edge of a spinning yoke, on the other hand, has the potential to catch your hands, legs, or even your head if it's a significant enough frontal impact.

Feds want to talk to Tesla about the Model S yoke steering wheel 

NHTSA (National Highway Traffic Safety Administration) officials aren't sure if Elon's Knight-Rider-style wheel meets federal regulations.

NHTSA told Roadshow that on first glance it "cannot determine if the steering wheel meets Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard." If Tesla's in violation of the standards, the yoke will have to go.

  • Praise 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Turbocharged
19 minutes ago, Jellandross said:

Plaid has supercar killing specs Consider cheap for that price liao. But of course owning exotic cars is much more than 0-100.

Tesla got their own set of fan bois, regardless they will just buy whenever there's a new launch, plenty of Youtubers showing that they bought...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Turbocharged
12 minutes ago, Carbon82 said:

The thing is, with the new steering wheel design seen as a safety risk, will the various transport agencies across the globe approve it for road use? 

Tesla's new steering yoke isn't retro, it's a safety risk

A razor-sharp steering rack (180 degree turn to turn) is a great thing on the racetrack. On the highway, a tiny bump to the wheel would send you spearing across three lanes of traffic. For your average driver, that's a risky proposition.

Ever hit a pothole and have the steering wheel slip in your hands? It's disconcerting, but so long as your wheel is round (or D-shaped at least) you can quickly regrip the wheel.

Now, imagine that happening on Tesla's new steering yoke. At least one of your hands is going to be grasping at thin air.

When the front wheels of a car are involved in the impact, the steering wheel can very forcefully twist in one direction or another.

While it's possible to get a sprained wrist or even a broken thumb if you're gripping the wheel too hard, a round wheel will naturally shield your hands and the rest of your person from serious injury. The leading edge of a spinning yoke, on the other hand, has the potential to catch your hands, legs, or even your head if it's a significant enough frontal impact.

Feds want to talk to Tesla about the Model S yoke steering wheel 

NHTSA (National Highway Traffic Safety Administration) officials aren't sure if Elon's Knight-Rider-style wheel meets federal regulations.

NHTSA told Roadshow that on first glance it "cannot determine if the steering wheel meets Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard." If Tesla's in violation of the standards, the yoke will have to go.

Tesla will argue that their AP do all the driving, hardly need the use of the steering.. :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Supersonic

Even with a stalk ppl here cannot signal or cant figure out the correct direction on where the stalk goes. Some blur until dont on headlights at night. I think that's how auto headlights come about. Catered for the ppl who have most of their brains not working.

It's good now it has gone "stalkless". There's no hazard lights button too. Drivers who anyhow stop as and where they like will have to think twice. Maybe you will say the AI will kick in and turn it on for you. It's AI, not your type of selfish behaviour...hopefully this doesnt happen.

But what I am looking at is the steering wheel design which is no longer a "wheel" or round. So question that comes to my mind will be the possibility of a quicker steering rack that a full left or right turn to lock is at most 180 degrees? Cos anything more than that  your hands will have difficulty grabbing on to anything. Other than the quicker steering rack the car also needs the 4-wheel-steering function to go together with it. 

So redeisgning the steering wheel doesnt look that straight forward and simple after all. Having soft touch buttons instead of stalk I'm fine with it. What I do not like are the "nipples" or scroll buttons that you have to scroll thru menu using your thumbs. Just dont like it. They look awful on the steering wheel.

 

  • Praise 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Turbocharged
7 hours ago, Carbon82 said:

Once upon a time, driving different car model is just about knowing whether it come with a clutch, the signal / wiper stalk are located on the left or right hand side of the steering and maybe, how to switch on the headlight and that's about all.

Suddenly, things started to get much complicated with BMW and Mercedes changing our mental model of how a gear knob should be (shifting and positioning), LCD screen replacing space used to be occupied by knobs and buttons, voice control (don't make the stupid mistake of calling out "Hey Mercedes" when you are behind the wheel of a say 7 series), etc.

Back to the topic, in case you are not aware, Tesla made headline a couple of days ago for its revolutionary cockpit layout for its 2021 Model S and X. Now, if you find adjusting radio volume or aircon temperature on a touch screen a pain in the a$$, you are in for deeper sh*t!

Tesla's Model S and X revamp says RIP to the traditional steering wheel

Tesla-mew-steering-wheel-hero.jpg?qualit

This isn't a yoke.

On Wednesday, Tesla rolled out the new interior look for its refreshed Model S and X electric cars. Both feature a new steering wheel design and touchscreen layout. Tesla is calling the new wheel a "stalkless steering yoke," meaning there's no stalk to press for the turn signal or to change drive modes.

Tesla describes the new steering wheel, which has no stalk: "The ultimate focus on driving: no stalks, no shifting. With a stalkless steering yoke, you can enjoy both the best car to drive, and the best car to be driven in."

BUT, how to maneuver the car with a game console-like steering wheel, how to signal, switch on the wiper and  headlight, etc?  These used to be something very straight forward till Tesla decided to make it a rocket science, at least it seems now. It is once again going to rewrite the mental model we have built up over the past few decades of driving...

Tesla-new-Model-S-picture-steering-wheel

Previously, Tesla used stalks on its steering wheels like most other vehicles for turn signals, headlights, and windshield wiper controls, and unlike other automakers, Tesla even used steering wheel stalks for other controls like Autopilot and the drive modes (PRND).

Tesla’s new steering wheel has none of that as the steering column is not equipped with any stalk. It’s instead packaged into a streamlined butterfly steering wheel design.

The steering wheel is equipped with the same scrolls already found on the Model 3 and Model Y wheel, but it now features new force touch buttons for the turn signals, high beams, honk, Autopilot, windshield control, and voice commands.

Screen-Shot-2021-01-27-at-10.00.48-PM.jp

In order to replace the stalks, Tesla is betting on a mix of AI and force touch buttons on the steering wheels to replace these functions. Ultimately, Tesla’s hope is that all these functions will be performed automatically by the vehicle.

That strategy is especially shown by Tesla’s solution to replace the drive mode (PRND) stalk. The vehicle uses its Autopilot sensors to intelligently and automatically determine intended drive modes and select them. For example, if the front of Model S/X is facing a garage wall, it will detect this and automatically shift to Reverse once the driver presses the brake pedal. This eliminates one more step for the drivers of the world’s most intelligent production cars.

That’s quite a change in the way to operate a car, but Tesla is making sure that people are not too confused about it by adding force touch controls for “Park, Reverse, Neutral, and Drive” drive modes at the base of the phone charger on the center console (touch screen nevertheless).

Similarly, the car will sense and predict the need for direction change and switch on the left or right signal light on your behalf. If you want to DIY, head towards the touch screen... OMG!!

What's you thought of these innovation? Pray really hard that the system don't hang while you are in the car, it not longer matters if you are behind the wheel or not...

They should come with another option for the YPs.

th?id=OIP.8R6bI4wz5sW_VSswBvTP6gHaHa%26p

  • Haha! 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Hypersonic
36 minutes ago, Beanoyip said:

Tesla will argue that their AP do all the driving, hardly need the use of the steering.. :D

If this is a full level 4 autonomous vehicle, I will have not qualms about its Yoke steering wheel design. But for production car that is still driven by a human (Racer or not), it couldn't get pass me for the obvious. 

 

16 minutes ago, kobayashiGT said:

They should come with another option for the YPs.

th?id=OIP.8R6bI4wz5sW_VSswBvTP6gHaHa%26p

Wah lau, you think piloting a plane or helicopter meh? One har chew or sighting or roaches would send the car to the opposite lane at the very least, if not flying off road. MLMLWML... 

As for the "nipple" on the steering wheel, I am guessing people like @Mustank will be searching for taobao like mad in hope to replace the one in his Musso. Tio boh? :D

  • Praise 5
  • Haha! 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Turbocharged
7 minutes ago, Carbon82 said:

If this is a full level 4 autonomous vehicle, I will have not qualms about its Yoke steering wheel design. But for production car that is still driven by a human (Racer or not), it couldn't get pass me for the obvious. 

 

Wah lau, you think piloting a plane or helicopter meh? One har chew or sighting or roaches would send the car to the opposite lane at the very least, if not flying off road. MLMLWML... 

As for the "nipple" on the steering wheel, I am guessing people like @Mustank will be searching for taobao like mad in hope to replace the one in his Musso. Tio boh? :D

This one just used it for parking and departure from the car park only, after which is Hey tesla, I wanna go to bedok 85 for Bak Chor Mee. 🤣

  • Haha! 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Supersonic

Finally a design suitable for BMW! No indicator stalk. Can no longer blame those idiots who don't signal cos they physically can't. 

PS. A lot of folks are going to saw off the top part of their round steering wheels to imitate Tesla!

  • Haha! 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Hypersonic

Before @Jamesc come in to kaciau, let me post first. :D:D

Tesla-new-Model-S-picture-steering-wheel

cc1914265d75d3a83138886c1fc7cd00.jpg

  • Praise 3
  • Haha! 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Twincharged
2 hours ago, Watwheels said:

Even with a stalk ppl here cannot signal or cant figure out the correct direction on where the stalk goes. Some blur until dont on headlights at night. I think that's how auto headlights come about. Catered for the ppl who have most of their brains not working.

It's good now it has gone "stalkless". There's no hazard lights button too. Drivers who anyhow stop as and where they like will have to think twice. Maybe you will say the AI will kick in and turn it on for you. It's AI, not your type of selfish behaviour...hopefully this doesnt happen.

But what I am looking at is the steering wheel design which is no longer a "wheel" or round. So question that comes to my mind will be the possibility of a quicker steering rack that a full left or right turn to lock is at most 180 degrees? Cos anything more than that  your hands will have difficulty grabbing on to anything. Other than the quicker steering rack the car also needs the 4-wheel-steering function to go together with it. 

So redeisgning the steering wheel doesnt look that straight forward and simple after all. Having soft touch buttons instead of stalk I'm fine with it. What I do not like are the "nipples" or scroll buttons that you have to scroll thru menu using your thumbs. Just dont like it. They look awful on the steering wheel.

 

as dumb cars become smarter, stupid drivers become stupider.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6th Gear

Its getting carried away with everything migrated to touchscreen and touch sensitive controls, personally I don't like it. More doesn't mean its good. There is a reason why even in commercial jets, having physical controls like knobs, levers and buttons are still preferred for certain critical controls. 

But I guess it's never meant for the driver to be driving the Tesla himself, since its envisioned that the AI will be doing all of that for him. That's fair enough. 

The antithesis of Tesla's design philosophy with regards to interior design is Gordon Murray's T50. Touchscreens are a big FAT zero, on purpose. Those 2 small screens on the left/right are the side mirrors as its using a camera system. 

image.png.a1194342fc1d5de083aa60a298e22db8.png

 

  • Praise 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Twincharged
37 minutes ago, Lethalstrike said:

Its getting carried away with everything migrated to touchscreen and touch sensitive controls, personally I don't like it. More doesn't mean its good. There is a reason why even in commercial jets, having physical controls like knobs, levers and buttons are still preferred for certain critical controls. 

But I guess it's never meant for the driver to be driving the Tesla himself, since its envisioned that the AI will be doing all of that for him. That's fair enough. 

The antithesis of Tesla's design philosophy with regards to interior design is Gordon Murray's T50. Touchscreens are a big FAT zero, on purpose. Those 2 small screens on the left/right are the side mirrors as its using a camera system. 

 

 

i think tesla  ultimate aim is to achive hands free driving. 😂

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Hypersonic
2 hours ago, Carbon82 said:

Before @Jamesc come in to kaciau, let me post first. :D:D

Tesla-new-Model-S-picture-steering-wheel

cc1914265d75d3a83138886c1fc7cd00.jpg

So cute.

:D

  • Haha! 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6th Gear (edited)
18 minutes ago, Beregond said:

i think tesla  ultimate aim is to achive hands free driving. 😂

 

Next step is to move accelerator and brake onto touch sensitive controls on steering wheel 

Edited by Lethalstrike
↡ Advertisement
  • Haha! 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×