air pollution, green vehicles

Wind30

I am wondering how irritated are you by motor air pollution?

I jog everyday and I LOVE the fact that the  mini bus in my estate has turned electric. Previously, it will always spew smoke on to me....

When driving on the road, I notice that there are smoky lorries who emit like a smoke screen to hide themselves. I always wonder how did these vehicles even drive in Singapore.

https://www.nea.gov.sg/our-services/pollution-control/air-pollution/air-pollution-regulations

It is supposed to be illegal to drive them and yet I see them sometimes. I also realised there is an app, myEnv, to report such vehicles and I am going to try to report them to see if it helps.

Just hoping to increase the awareness of this app so hopefully we can get a greener Singapore earlier than later. 

I am just wondering how fresh the air will be when there is no emissions from motor vehicles... Will it be like in the mountains fresh? 

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2

I support initiatives to go green but not those out to BS and profit from it. Data should be factual and not some BS. If paying or going green just to earn more money, concept is already wrong. 

Currently,  pollution can be reduced by better control of heavy vehicle emissions. Somehow no checks are done except during inspection.  Malaysian vehicles are also not part of such checks. In EV, batteries pollution should also be considered. 

• Praise 3

45 minutes ago, Wind30 said:

I jog everyday and I LOVE the fact that the  mini bus in my estate has turned electric. Previously, it will always spew smoke on to me....

When driving on the road, I notice that there are smoky lorries who emit like a smoke screen to hide themselves. I always wonder how did these vehicles even drive in Singapore.

https://www.nea.gov.sg/our-services/pollution-control/air-pollution/air-pollution-regulations

It is supposed to be illegal to drive them and yet I see them sometimes. I also realised there is an app, myEnv, to report such vehicles and I am going to try to report them to see if it helps.

Just hoping to increase the awareness of this app so hopefully we can get a greener Singapore earlier than later. 

I am just wondering how fresh the air will be when there is no emissions from motor vehicles... Will it be like in the mountains fresh? 

Localized pollution

electric = zero

fuel = have 

net pollution 

electric = have

fuel = have

have how many I don’t know 

1 hour ago, Wind30 said:

IMHO.
Eh.... during the early part of the covid-19 you never drive on the empty expressway to get a feel ? 
Every time you may feel irritated, you can think of some places in China. 

1 hour ago, Victor68 said:

I support initiatives to go green but not those out to BS and profit from it. Data should be factual and not some BS. If paying or going green just to earn more money, concept is already wrong. 

Currently,  pollution can be reduced by better control of heavy vehicle emissions. Somehow no checks are done except during inspection.  Malaysian vehicles are also not part of such checks. In EV, batteries pollution should also be considered. 

It seems you can take a photo of those vehicles and report it via app, MyENV. I always wondered since it is illegal, why do we still see smoking vehicles here... 

42 minutes ago, Kklee said:

IMHO.
Eh.... during the early part of the covid-19 you never drive on the empty expressway to get a feel ? 
Every time you may feel irritated, you can think of some places in China. 

... I never understand why we should compare with the poorest. Like housing prices, people will compare with hongkong.

Even during Covid, there is still vehicles. To me, getting to zero emission for motor vehicles is a worth while thing. We don't have much other pollution  right?

3 minutes ago, Wind30 said:

... I never understand why we should compare with the poorest. Like housing prices, people will compare with hongkong.

Even during Covid, there is still vehicles. To me, getting to zero emission for motor vehicles is a worth while thing. We don't have much other pollution  right?

IMHO. 
You should ask why you compare with the poorest and Hong Kong.
I am citing the pollution level.
If that is the case,  you will never be able to get mountain fresh air. 

I would say our busy air and sea ports also contribute to pollution. 

• Praise 1

8 minutes ago, Kklee said:

IMHO. 
You should ask why you compare with the poorest and Hong Kong.
I am citing the pollution level.
If that is the case,  you will never be able to get mountain fresh air. 

I would say our busy air and sea ports also contribute to pollution. 

We are an island state.  Our pollution could be from another country.

• Praise 2

2 hours ago, Victor68 said:

exactly, the key is the pollution cause by burning fuel to generate electric to power a xxx hp ev

vs 

the pollution cause by  a petrol engine car with the same xxx hp

which 1 cause more pollution , which pollution is more manageable, 

You should seriously go to any pier or port and see what really is air pollution. Our roads are peanuts compared to ships and boats. Really, I'm not kidding.

There are 3 kinds of standards here. The roads, the seas and the skies. Only our roads are heavily penalised by air pollution laws. Fact. Cos Singapore is an important strategic sea port and aviation hub. 

• Praise 5
  • Haha! 1

just to add those who stay in Tuas and jurong camps will know how dusty and dirty the place is. at night all the smoke will spew out because the sky is dark.

people who don't know all these think EV can do magic.

• Praise 2
  • Haha! 1

1 hour ago, Nolicense said:

just to add those who stay in Tuas and jurong camps will know how dusty and dirty the place is. at night all the smoke will spew out because the sky is dark.

people who don't know all these think EV can do magic.

We have one of the worlds largest refining facilities right? 

46 minutes ago, Atonchia said:

We have one of the worlds largest refining facilities right? 

Actually the refinery is not the most offending one surprisingly

Plenty of room for discussion on this...with the condition that our TS gives up his car lah.

Or is it the case that others should give it up but not TS?

If anyone ask what is bird language, I know what to show to the person to let him or her read. Haha.

Last time,Mount Vernon Crematorium,even HDB Flats in Joo Seng Rd can smell the Cremation Smoke..depends on Wind Direction,is it also a source of Pollution.?

9 hours ago, Watwheels said:

You should seriously go to any pier or port and see what really is air pollution. Our roads are peanuts compared to ships and boats. Really, I'm not kidding.

There are 3 kinds of standards here. The roads, the seas and the skies. Only our roads are heavily penalised by air pollution laws. Fact. Cos Singapore is an important strategic sea port and aviation hub. 

Try see pulau bukom, 24/7 smoke come out from the chimney

↡ Advertisement