I bought a 2006 COE'd Camry!!!

Mockngbrd

Well not really a Camry though most people who don't know what it is will probably think it is one. What it is, is a GX110 Toyota Mark II, also my first Toyota and Japanese car. 
While it was registered in SG in 2006, it was actually built in late 2004 and ran around in Japan for a year or so before making its way over to our sunny island.

In the interest of this thread. I figured I can give you guys a rough idea why $3k after buying a COE car might be a tad too conservative, even on a Toyota (with shared chassis underpinnings from the Lexus IS200 so it's not that obscure a model).

I'd had the car for about 4+ months now and I'll share with you (very roughly) how much I've spent on this JDM Camry that was honestly already in "decent" shape. 

1026363_3b.jpg

Keep in mind also, that this is a somewhat budget-restricted build so whenever I could I bought items used and also shopped around for the best deals or quotes whenever possible, though I did splurge on some things I really liked and wanted to have. 

So here's the rough breakdown:

New Tein Street Basis Coilovers (approx SGD$900 off eBay including shipping), old shocks were totally gone
New Android head unit to replace broken double din radio (SGD$350 off alixpress)
New xiaomi front camera ($100) , old camera was also faulty

A full service with fresh Millers engine and Toyota gearbox oil 
Brand new front control arms
New steering tie rods 
New rear toe arms
+ labour / labour to install coilovers and android head unit / + wheel alignment  (Total SGD$2,200, factor in I left the car at the workshop for a month+ to let them sort it out in their own time, + even though this car shares pretty much everything except the exterior with the IS200, parts are still not easily available in SG and had to be ordered in from Japan)

Used original 19" Wald rims ($1,200)
Used good condition 4 x Michelin PS4S tyres ($600)
Spacers ($400)
labour to install / mount wheels ($120)

Used original Junction Produce Fusa ($50)
New custom Karo floor mats ($600)
Lace seat covers from alixpress ($50)
Used original Toyota front bumper kit and side skirts ($1,000)
New original front grille ($200), old one was broken
Some other small bits and bobs here and there ($50)

Respray exterior only but with colour change and respray all 4 callipers back to black at Huy Ley Huat approx $1,700. (Also factor in again, I left the car there without needing them to rush the job), I don't need a perfect exterior so even though the end result isn't fantastic, it was good enough and I was more than satisfied, though I will eventually send the car into a detailer for proper paint correction and final finishing.

Unfortunately, as with all projects, I did end up with some parts I could not use, so these will end up as write-offs.
New front headlights from alixpress ($360), could not use because my car is a facelifted version with a slightly different shape that was hard to tell in pictures. Damn.
New bonnet struts from alixpress ($40), the seller sent items that are totally not for my car.

So that's what I have roughly spent so far also without adding in all the time and effort I spent looking for the parts, finding the best quotes for the paint, all the hours and elbow grease spent cleaning up the car from when I first bought it (it was grimy), all the products I used for cleaning, and also all the taxi/Grab trips up and down workshops and taxi/Grab trips to/fro places when I didn't have the car. 

Also, I did not add in the $$$ spent going to Vicom and renewing the rd tax just a couple of months after buying the car. 

Here's the Toyota now 4+ months on, looking not too bad but there's still quite a bit more work to go (no worries on not masking the license plate as this number no longer exist):

img_20211224_225731-1.jpg

If you're still interested to see where this is going https://garage36.wordpress.com/category/project-mark-ii/

Edited by Mockngbrd
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 40

2 hours ago, Mockngbrd said:

Well not really a Camry though most people who don't know what it is will probably think it is one. What it is, is a GX110 Toyota Mark II, also my first Toyota and Japanese car. 
While it was registered in SG in 2006, it was actually built in late 2004 and ran around in Japan for a year or so before making its way over to our sunny island.

In the interest of this thread. I figured I can give you guys a rough idea why $3k after buying a COE car might be a tad too conservative, even on a Toyota (with shared chassis underpinnings from the Lexus IS200 so it's not that obscure a model).

I'd had the car for about 4+ months now and I'll share with you (very roughly) how much I've spent on this JDM Camry that was honestly already in "decent" shape. 

1026363_3b.jpg

Keep in mind also, that this is a somewhat budget-restricted build so whenever I could I bought items used and also shopped around for the best deals or quotes whenever possible, though I did splurge on some things I really liked and wanted to have. 

New Tein Street Basis Coilovers (approx SGD$900 off eBay including shipping), old shocks were totally gone
New Android head unit to replace broken double din radio (SGD$350 off alixpress)

New steering tie rods 
New rear toe arms
+ labour / labour to install coilovers and android head unit / + wheel alignment  (Total SGD$2,200, factor in I left the car at the workshop for a month+ to let them sort it out in their own time, + even though this car shares pretty much everything except the exterior with the IS200, parts are still not easily available in SG and had to be ordered in from Japan)

Spacers ($400)

Respray exterior only but with colour change and respray all 4 callipers back to black at Huy Ley Huat approx $1,700. (Also factor in again, I left the car there without needing them to rush the job), I don't need a perfect exterior so even though the end result isn't fantastic, it was good enough and I was more than satisfied, though I will eventually send the car into a detailer for proper paint correction and final finishing.

Unfortunately, as with all projects, I did end up with some parts I could not use, so these will end up as write-offs.
New front headlights from alixpress ($360), could not use because my car is a facelifted version with a slightly different shape that was hard to tell in pictures. Damn.
New bonnet struts from alixpress ($40), the seller sent items that are totally not for my car.

So that's what I have roughly spent so far also without adding in all the time and effort I spent looking for the parts, finding the best quotes for the paint, all the hours and elbow grease spent cleaning up the car from when I first bought it (it was grimy), all the products I used for cleaning, and also all the taxi/Grab trips up and down workshops and taxi/Grab trips to/fro places when I didn't have the car. 

Also, I did not add in the $$$ spent going to Vicom and renewing the rd tax just a couple of months after buying the car. 

Here's the Toyota now 4+ months on, looking not too bad but there's still quite a bit more work to go (no worries on not masking the license plate as this number no longer exist):

If you're still interested to see where this is going https://garage36.wordpress.com/category/project-mark-ii/

2JZ 3.0 IL6?

18 minutes ago, t0y0ta said:

2JZ 3.0 IL6?

1G-FE 2.0 IL6. JZX110 no 2jz, only 1jz. But none in SG. Only got 1x Verossain sg with 1jz-gte, not sure if still around. There once was a mark 2 blit wagon too, also not sure if still around. 

Edited by Mockngbrd
  • Praise 2

1 hour ago, Optramagnum said:

Miss this car.. Father used to drive one and changed to Mark X when it was released. Very spacious and stable ride.. Hope you enjoy it too. 

If your father's car was not this one, then he had the only other Mark 2 in SG. 

Nice! The colour is not common 💜 and definitely $3k is too conservative just to get it road worthy. 

Comfy interior and those floor mats lent a touch of class too. Lacy seat covers erhmmm, a very important woman's touch. 

Will look out for a midnight purple ride with JP fusa and lacy seat covers. 😂 And give you a honk and a thumbs up. 

Looking forward to updates on this love project in progress. 

Thanks for sharing. Stay safe. 

Cheers 

• Praise 1

11 minutes ago, ER-3682 said:

In 2003,there is another Model,Verosa,also with a in Line 6 Engine...very nice.

Yes SG had 1 Verossa with the 1jz GTE but am not sure if it is still around. 

29441_1.jpg

• Praise 4

14 hours ago, Mockngbrd said:

1026363_3b.jpg

New steering tie rods 
New rear toe arms

Spacers ($400)

Nice write-up..

U wrote until I see damned wet..

NevER buy but read liao also sibei song..

• Haha! 6

Internal Moderator
14 hours ago, Mockngbrd said:

1026363_3b.jpg

New steering tie rods 
New rear toe arms

Spacers ($400)

Woah! I love the paint job! soooo swee yo!

If you have the intention to do more mods, yahoo auction is a gem! hahaha.

Wald rim is very appropriate with this car. hahaha. Cuz of the JDM VIP culture they had at japan.

If your interior trim is the wood finishing, you can consider get the black trim one! I think will make the car looks for younger! 🙂

https://page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/r502167080

Nevertheless, this is a wonderful car in our sunny island!

11 hours ago, Mockngbrd said:

If your father's car was not this one, then he had the only other Mark 2 in SG. 

I can't really recall as it was long ago.. He bought it brand new, his Bidded license plate was SFA9XXX. Only remember its spaciousness. There were some Mark II on the road at that time.. Although quite rare at that time. I guess even rarer now. Any problem with getting spare parts? 

Internal Moderator
50 minutes ago, Freeder said:

Nice write-up..

U wrote until I see damned wet..

NevER buy but read liao also sibei song..

haha. power of journalism. hahahha

↡ Advertisement