Feedback on evaporative air coolers

Atrecord

Searched through and found couple of very old threads on this, but am thinking whether with new products (new tech?) would have changed anything.

Saw these evaporative air coolers that's not an aircon, but uses water and blow out air, that claims to reduce surrounding temperature by like a few degrees...

Has anyone used this before or has any knowledge/information of whether this will really work?

Am considering getting one to put in balcony so that on the days when i WFH, can sit in balcony to work. As it is, on a hot day (>31 deg) even with fan at full blast, it's still quite unbearable.

am wondering:

- really will reduce temp by at least 1-2 deg?
- will it be very noisy
- does it consume lots of electricity (c.f. fan and aircon)

Anyone knows? Thanks...

Screenshot 2022-10-28 at 10.34.37 AM.png

↡ Advertisement

Don’t bother. One of my regrets buying one. SG already very humid this one makes it worse. 

no effect in lowering temperature. 

• Praise 11
  • Haha! 1

6 minutes ago, Atrecord said:

Searched through and found couple of very old threads on this, but am thinking whether with new products (new tech?) would have changed anything.

Saw these evaporative air coolers that's not an aircon, but uses water and blow out air, that claims to reduce surrounding temperature by like a few degrees...

Has anyone used this before or has any knowledge/information of whether this will really work?

Am considering getting one to put in balcony so that on the days when i WFH, can sit in balcony to work. As it is, on a hot day (>31 deg) even with fan at full blast, it's still quite unbearable.

am wondering:

- will it be very noisy

Anyone knows? Thanks...

I had a used Honeywell brand before. It is kinda big and bulky hence(not like the picture) I sold it to a friend. 

Noisy: Yes(for a big unit). Depending on what fan speed you set. 

Consume power or not I cant really tell, definitely less compared to aircon. Since you use during the day or off peak, anyway gotto look at what energy plan you sign up.

Imo at the balcony, definitely hot cos of our climate. Looks and sounds romantic when ppl say work at the balcony, in Europe ok but not in Sg. And it depends on where your balcony is facing.

Cools like a fan. I didnt use a thermometer to measure.

I rather have a ceiling fan. It is quieter and it is more effective than any standing fan.

• Praise 4
  • Haha! 1

23 minutes ago, inlinesix said:

I have 1 at home.  It is a home furniture now.

Noisy and not really reduce temperature.

When wife talks switch on lo

“active noise cancelling”😂

• Haha! 17

Internal Moderator
27 minutes ago, Atrecord said:

am wondering:

- will it be very noisy

Anyone knows? Thanks...

200W sia. No lah. Must go green. :grin:

• Haha! 2

35 minutes ago, RadX said:

Go green is in vogue...for world peace and innerpeace 😁

green-ear-plug-into-the-ear-picture-id483582881.jpg

young-woman-silenced-with-tape-over-her-mouth-picture-id157533187.jpg

• Haha! 8

1 hour ago, Atrecord said:

am wondering:

- will it be very noisy

Anyone knows? Thanks...

Dun waste ur money bro, i can tell u once n for all, for cooling as in bring temp down, only a aircon works, period.

• Praise 2

Evaporative cooling does not work in this region. Period. The only reason why these machines feel cooling is because you are in an air-conditioned shop or mall.

From wiki - 

"Most evaporative coolers are unable to lower the air temperature as much as refrigerated air conditioning can. An evaporative air cooler in a closed room, without any connection or opening to the outside, cannot lower the room temperature at all by the physical law of conservation of energy. It might even add to the room temperature by its electrical components. "

If you want to waste your money on these.... why not donate to charity. 

• Praise 1

1 hour ago, Hummer said:

Don’t bother. One of my regrets buying one. SG already very humid this one makes it worse. 

no effect in lowering temperature. 

alamak... then lose marks liao... 😅
did some quick googling, and it says that in some dry arid conditions, this can really works and can reduce temp by even 5-6 deg... but looks like here the high humidity renders it ineffective...

1 hour ago, Watwheels said:

I had a used Honeywell brand before. It is kinda big and bulky hence(not like the picture) I sold it to a friend. 

Noisy: Yes(for a big unit). Depending on what fan speed you set. 

Consume power or not I cant really tell, definitely less compared to aircon. Since you use during the day or off peak, anyway gotto look at what energy plan you sign up.

Imo at the balcony, definitely hot cos of our climate. Looks and sounds romantic when ppl say work at the balcony, in Europe ok but not in Sg. And it depends on where your balcony is facing.

Cools like a fan. I didnt use a thermometer to measure.

I rather have a ceiling fan. It is quieter and it is more effective than any standing fan.

I have a ceiling fan in the balcony already, but it's still hot on those hot days, despite the fan circulating the air... was thinking of getting one of these to help reduce temp by 1-2 deg (if it really works)... but from what is shared here... looks like can't even do that...
i do have some afternoon sun at the balcony, but had installed blinds recently, so am exploring this... in the past (before the blinds), didn't even need to think of it as the sun will be shining at the balcony in the afternoon. Fan full blast also pointless...

1 hour ago, Loki said:

If using on balcony maybe can consider a fan which sprays out mist for cooling?  That might work

Many moons ago i recall even neighbourhood kopi shops also got installed this, but like only lasted a short while... Now like don't see this being used or on sale anymore leh.

1 hour ago, RadX said:

this one in chinese term, is 以毒攻毒 🤣

49 minutes ago, Freeder said:

hmm... thanks. bit ex, but can consider...

4 minutes ago, Watwheels said:

Just do what others do. Either you chill at a cafe or the public library.

wah lao... mai lah...

just last weekend when passing by a starbucks, i told wife that the students are too much, buy one drink then sit there whole day study, depriving others of the seat...

• Haha! 3

2 minutes ago, Atrecord said:

alamak... then lose marks liao... 😅
did some quick googling, and it says that in some dry arid conditions, this can really works and can reduce temp by even 5-6 deg... but looks like here the high humidity renders it ineffective...

I have a ceiling fan in the balcony already, but it's still hot on those hot days, despite the fan circulating the air... was thinking of getting one of these to help reduce temp by 1-2 deg (if it really works)... but from what is shared here... looks like can't even do that...
i do have some afternoon sun at the balcony, but had installed blinds recently, so am exploring this... in the past (before the blinds), didn't even need to think of it as the sun will be shining at the balcony in the afternoon. Fan full blast also pointless...

Many moons ago i recall even neighbourhood kopi shops also got installed this, but like only lasted a short while... Now like don't see this being used or on sale anymore leh.

this one in chinese term, is 以毒攻毒 🤣

hmm... thanks. bit ex, but can consider...

Yeah. That's one of the things about balcony. Waste money on blinds as well.

The balcony here is not suited for anything except to dry laundry.

↡ Advertisement
  • Haha! 2