Coolant question

Lala81

@Mkl22 U will understand more if you care to read up more on the characteristic and properties of Ethylene Glycol and Propylene Glycol Coolant when mix with the correct percentage of distilled water - at the right mixture and with the correct pressure cap , it will help to increase the coolant boiling temperature. It is also a rust inhibitor

↡ Advertisement

50/50 mixture - the coolant will boil at 107 deg C (228deg F) and freeze at -37deg C (-34deg F)

70/30 mixture - the coolant will boil at 135 deg C (276deg F) and freeze at -64deg C (-84deg F)

Solution with more than 70% antifreeze will give less protection.

Pure antifreeze will freeze at -21C (-6 F)

Distilled or deionized water should be used for Ethylene glycol Or Propylene Glycol solutions

Piped water is often treated with chlorine, which is corrosive, and should be avoided.

One of the best method to determine if the coolant is properly mixed is to measure the strength or concentration of the antifreeze with a hydrometer.

After checking then you can safely decide to add more antifreeze or distilled water

• Praise 1

53 minutes ago, Yeobh said:

50/50 mixture - the coolant will boil at 107 deg C (228deg F) and freeze at -37deg C (-34deg F)

70/30 mixture - the coolant will boil at 135 deg C (276deg F) and freeze at -64deg C (-84deg F)

Solution with more than 70% antifreeze will give less protection.

Pure antifreeze will freeze at -21C (-6 F)

Distilled or deionized water should be used for Ethylene glycol Or Propylene Glycol solutions

Piped water is often treated with chlorine, which is corrosive, and should be avoided.

One of the best method to determine if the coolant is properly mixed is to measure the strength or concentration of the antifreeze with a hydrometer.

After checking then you can safely decide to add more antifreeze or distilled water

Heat capacity.

https://www.motortrend.com/how-to/glycol-or-water-coolant/amp/

also not sure where you get 135c from. Most online says it’s 112c which is more believable. 

Edited by Mkl22

8 hours ago, Mkl22 said:

I installed a Chinese part for the merc power window switch. Lousy original also chwee, what’s the point to pay high price  for it to break again. 
for oem these is real oem and sub standard “oem”. I source the exact oem that Daimler uses. The only diff it that it does not have the 3pointed star logo, else it is identical. How I know? I place both orig and the one without the Mercedes star side by side and compare. I trust my own eyes and hands. 🤣

In the end it’s your money, if one feels better with orig, go ahead. 

I meant to say - if you know the quality of that OEM part is better than the original, I have no objections.

But we can't deny the fact that there are conti car owners out there who simply go with a Chinese part because they want to own the badge, yet want to save a buck (it's cheaper - not that it's better) - those are the ones that are deplorable to me.

• Praise 1

9 hours ago, Comage said:

I meant to say - if you know the quality of that OEM part is better than the original, I have no objections.

But we can't deny the fact that there are conti car owners out there who simply go with a Chinese part because they want to own the badge, yet want to save a buck (it's cheaper - not that it's better) - those are the ones that are deplorable to me.

Its not about china make parts good or bad.
Rather its about the quality of those oem brands/ parts

Now alot of original for conti ride like VW are make in china, even alot of japanese car brands also.
Alot of non original / oem brands are instead make in other countries. there are even oem parts from Eu which are of really inferior quality.

Knowledge is very important, because alot of original parts use oem factories to make their parts, just that the packing have original printing (  this is another topic)

• Praise 2

11 hours ago, Comage said:

China is the biggest car market in the world. They have economy of scale for most things and many parts are tested by thousands of users there. So why pay more just for a paper box printed with the car brand? It could well be fake anyway. And car manufacturers do not manufacture most of the parts like shocks, filters and even ECU. 

I don't like to be carrot-ed just because I am too lazy to do some research and checks.

One example - 10 bucks for non original wipers on Shopee or 80-90 bucks for "Original" from agent. I sure know which one I will get. 

• Praise 2

12 hours ago, Comage said:

Made in China Merc has localised parts.

I bought Bosch air filter that is MIC

30 minutes ago, Volvobrick said:

China is the biggest car market in the world. They have economy of scale for most things and many parts are tested by thousands of users there. So why pay more just for a paper box printed with the car brand? It could well be fake anyway. And car manufacturers do not manufacture most of the parts like shocks, filters and even ECU. 

I don't like to be carrot-ed just because I am too lazy to do some research and checks.

One example - 10 bucks for non original wipers on Shopee or 80-90 bucks for "Original" from agent. I sure know which one I will get. 

wiper and filters ( cabin filters ) are 1 of the biggest rip off from ' original' parts suppliers.
Conti like benz wiper 1 set can cost easily 120-150/ set, 1 cabin filter make of paper?? want to sell me 90sgd.

The original plastic air hose for my NV 200 cost 120 sgd ( no matter how many i replace, those original still break down in 2-3 year.

I go taobao buy 40 sgd. It last the same length of period

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 1

3 hours ago, Volvobrick said:

Honestly, I never owned a conti ride before. You can call me sour grapes if you want to, I don't mind. 

My own car, Toyota, I tried wipers of all brands like Bosch and even silicone ones from PIAA - they just didn't work right and skips across the windshield. 

Until I got back the original stockist ones, then they swiped smoothly and perfectly. 

Yes China makes a lot of things, but the local car owners ain't biting much - when COE prices reached sky-high numbers back in 2012/2013, everyone saw that ownership of conti rides started going up. Likewise a similar trend could be said for cars plying the roads nowadays... 

People still want the badge, but do not want to pay the decent (rightful?) maintenance costs associated with owning such luxury car brands... 

3 hours ago, inlinesix said:

Made in China Merc has localised parts.

I bought Bosch air filter that is MIC

This one I do know that there are local parts for the local Chinese market. 

And the quality differs greatly from the Europe parts, as far as I know. 

The conti brands that are sold in China... Due to the 50% partnership crap, results in very few conti brands willing to export the Chinese-made counterpart car models to the rest of the world... 

They largely stay within China, and don't get exported out. It doesn't meant the quality coming out from China is good. 

Edited by Comage
↡ Advertisement