Coolant question

Lala81

On 11/20/2022 at 7:20 PM, Lala81 said:

are all reservoir caps one size fit all?

The answer is No. There are different sizes and pressure ratings. Get the specific one for the car.

• Praise 1

Trapped Air bubbles is a common occurrence due to engine mounting where the radiator is seated slightly lower the highest point of the cooling system.

When refilling with new coolant, generally mechanics can use a) Universal Coolant Filling Kit or b) Vacuum Coolant Refilling Kit method to refill and remove the air bubbles trapped in the cooling system.

a)    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=leOhfZH8WEY

b)    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2QQHykK_RIw

• Praise 2

On 11/20/2022 at 7:20 PM, Lala81 said:

are all reservoir caps one size fit all?

I think you are referring to radiator cap, the cap has specific size and more importantly, pressure rating(eg in kpa) , dont use the wrong one, otherwise you may burst your entire radiator if you use a too high rating cap. 

Edited by Ct3833
  • Praise 1

13 hours ago, Ct3833 said:

I think you are referring to radiator cap, the cap has specific size and more importantly, pressure rating(eg in kpa) , dont use the wrong one, otherwise you may burst your entire radiator if you use a too high rating cap. 

Just buy original exact replacement based on VIN with relevant brand stockist.

Why try to save a couple bucks for a 100-200k car?

• Praise 1

On 11/27/2022 at 8:56 AM, t0y0ta said:

Just buy original exact replacement based on VIN with relevant brand stockist.

Why try to save a couple bucks for a 100-200k car?

Drivers here will go to the extent of installing Chinese parts for their conti rides. 

Hell, drivers even want to save parking of that few cents when they go dapao, only to come back see a summons ticket on their windscreen. 

Your words ain't gonna dissuade them at all, not in one bit. I can assure you that. 🙂

• Haha! 1

4 hours ago, Comage said:

Drivers here will go to the extent of installing Chinese parts for their conti rides. 

Hell, drivers even want to save parking of that few cents when they go dapao, only to come back see a summons ticket on their windscreen. 

Your words ain't gonna dissuade them at all, not in one bit. I can assure you that. 🙂

Not true lah, i am COE car  driver here also, today just sent my car to chip soon to replace engine mounts and rear brake pad and rotor , those who know chip soon, Jason uses only original parts , no OEM parts. Expensive or not? of course yes but I am ok with it because it will still be cheaper than AD. 

Edited by Ct3833

15 minutes ago, Ct3833 said:

Not true lah, i am COE car  driver here also, today just sent my car to chip soon to replace engine mounts and rear brake pad and rotor , those who know chip soon, Jason uses only original parts , no OEM parts. Expensive or not? of course yes but I am ok with it because it will still be cheaper than AD. 

Boss, you go for original parts is your way, your mindset, your beliefs. You want to go for higher-end aftermarket, that's fine with me also. It's a decent mentality to have as a car owner/driver.

Personally I have seen what I mentioned before (drivers "cheaping" out) - we all know such drivers exist (who wants to own just the badge when they get their conti rides).
These are the drivers that do not hesitate to slap on a PHV label on their "luxury" segment cars in order to own the car.

These are the guys who are screwing up the COE prices - because they buy outside of their means (e.g. buying a Cat B car) when they can only afford a lower-spec (e.g. Cat A) car.

/rant off - else I will get whacked by all these guys that I am calling out here; I'm sure there's plenty lurking around here who belong in that group.

• Haha! 2

1 minute ago, Comage said:

Boss, you go for original parts is your way, your mindset, your beliefs. You want to go for higher-end aftermarket, that's fine with me also. It's a decent mentality to have as a car owner/driver.

Personally I have seen what I mentioned before (drivers "cheaping" out) - we all know such drivers exist (who wants to own just the badge when they get their conti rides).
These are the drivers that do not hesitate to slap on a PHV label on their "luxury" segment cars in order to own the car.

These are the guys who are screwing up the COE prices - because they buy outside of their means (e.g. buying a Cat B car) when they can only afford a lower-spec (e.g. Cat A) car.

/rant off - else I will get whacked by all these guys that I am calling out here; I'm sure there's plenty lurking around here who belong in that group.

I am thinking since i have already saved so much by driving old car, and already so poor thing, no need to skim on maintenance anymore .🤣🤣

23 minutes ago, Ct3833 said:

3 minutes ago, Comage said:

Rather than using factory shocks, I change to Boge shocks which is cheaper.

Since my Mini COE still got 2 years, no point change to factory shock.

Surprisingly, the ride is less harsh than before.

• Praise 2

11 minutes ago, inlinesix said:

Rather than using factory shocks, I change to Boge shocks which is cheaper.

Since my Mini COE still got 2 years, no point change to factory shock.

Surprisingly, the ride is less harsh than before.

For shocks i also use OEM, the bloody original  shocks are very expensive, i did that on my w211 before and told myself  never use original shocks again 😅. Dont anyhow backside itchy.😃😃

Edited by Ct3833
  • Haha! 3

1 minute ago, Ct3833 said:

For shocks i also use OEM, the bloody original  shocks is very expensive, i did that on my w211 before and told myself  never use original shocks again 🤣

For previous 520, I use Bilstein rather than factory.

It is so much better going through corner

• Praise 1

On 11/20/2022 at 8:05 PM, Lala81 said:

need to set AC/heater to max + run engine for at least 2 cycles where the thermostat is on with the radiator cap open. according to the angmohs.

u may want to see if your better" workshop has this.

https://www.amazon.sg61q7X8qMEBL._AC_SL1000_.thumb.jpg.cb05c2abfddbbd54b34aeabe4210c8dc.jpg/Phoen

ix-Systems-8001-B-Determine-Automotive/dp/B01CNHJ4QI/ref=asc_df_B01CNHJ4QI/?tag=googleshoppin-22&linkCode=df0&hvadid=606312344828&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=18084201963977752630&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9062530&hvtargid=pla-491951311809&psc=1

There are a handful of workshops using coolant hydrometers to do the distill water / glycol concentration ratio testing. Basically there are two type of coolant tester - Ethylene Glycol and Propylene Glycol Coolant Hydrometer. Generally Ethylene Glycol coolant hydrometer is used  on Asian vehicles coolant and Propylene Glycol Coolant hydrometer for European vehicles.

Hydrometer _ Ethylene Glycol tester.jpg

Hydrometer_Propylene Glycol Tester.jpg

• Praise 1

On 11/29/2022 at 7:23 PM, Comage said:

I installed a Chinese part for the merc power window switch. Lousy original also chwee, what’s the point to pay high price  for it to break again. 
for oem these is real oem and sub standard “oem”. I source the exact oem that Daimler uses. The only diff it that it does not have the 3pointed star logo, else it is identical. How I know? I place both orig and the one without the Mercedes star side by side and compare. I trust my own eyes and hands. 🤣

In the end it’s your money, if one feels better with orig, go ahead. 

Edited by Mkl22
  • Praise 1
  • Haha! 1

5 hours ago, Yeobh said:

There are a handful of workshops using coolant hydrometers to do the distill water / glycol concentration ratio testing. Basically there are two type of coolant tester - Ethylene Glycol and Propylene Glycol Coolant Hydrometer. Generally Ethylene Glycol coolant hydrometer is used  on Asian vehicles coolant and Propylene Glycol Coolant hydrometer for European vehicles.

Hydrometer _ Ethylene Glycol tester.jpg

Hydrometer_Propylene Glycol Tester.jpg

Does it matter in sg? All we need is anti rust and some lubrication properties. Who cares about the glycol levels. 
In fact less glycol is all the better as the heat capacity of water is much higher. 

Edited by Mkl22
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 3