OCBC have implemented a security feature on OCBC Digital app to scan your phones for unofficial apps

Raubern

[Update 5.10pm] To continue using the app(s) you have uninstalled, please download and re-install them only from official app stores.
--
We have implemented a security feature on our OCBC Digital app to further safeguard our customers from malware. With this enhancement, we can detect any app that has been downloaded from unofficial app stores. Once these apps are detected, if you do not uninstall them, you will not be able to log in to our Internet Banking and/or the OCBC Digital app. Uninstall these apps now to access the online banking services.

More tips on protecting yourself against malware:

https://www.ocbc.com/personal-banking/security/secure-banking-ways/malware-threats#iw_comp1677076032927

364727443_10160020508347705_756358162886

365248800_10228047970957886_123123706165

Many people now scolding ocbc on fb

Edited by Raubern
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2
  • Haha! 3

Turbocharged

i have 1 "illegitimate" app and it's Google Accessibility Suite. :XD:

I don't even remember installing it. It's for users with disabilities. Uninstalled and now ok.

• Haha! 1

Wow, out of order to do such a deep dive on somebody's device, talk about the irony of privacy.

The UK and US debankimg scandals coming to a town near you.

Turbocharged

Major problem is if this is your office and personal phone and there are some work apps not d/l from the app store. Hard to resolve.

Actually easier to just withdraw all the cash completely from ocbc and make your life easier.

• Praise 2

Twincharged

@Raubern i did not get this warning .... but the app just logged me out of my Mate20pro without any notice. could not access my account for a day !

now temporarilly reinstall the ocbc app on my poco phone.

Turbocharged

haha i read one comment that his phone is Huawei and dun have Google Playstore... how to reinstall app he ask 😂

• Haha! 2

Heng ah...limpeh severed all ties with orh cee bei cee (read in cantonese) in Jan...even forgone one TD due in slightly over a month later...sibeh angry with lousy service, apps and web...while queuing to get it resolved...decided enuf was enuf...spent the stupiak 20 mins to close all accounts with them 😁

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 2

On 8/7/2023 at 8:15 AM, Scion said:

haha i read one comment that his phone is Huawei and dun have Google Playstore... how to reinstall app he ask 😂

Huawei AppGallery. This Huawei user dunno meh? 🤣

Heard people accounts are being hacked over the weekend. How safe are these electronics transection and who would be responsible since the bank force is to use them. 

• Praise 1

I have a few legacy apps that are no longer found on app store but there is no prompt from the ocbc app. Hmm. 

The scanning is fine. But they should have made it optional. 

On 8/7/2023 at 9:10 AM, Stratovarius said:

I have a few legacy apps that are no longer found on app store but there is no prompt from the ocbc app. Hmm. 

The scanning is fine. But they should have made it optional. 

How to enable the scanning?

Actually, many ppl may not agree with me but i thought this move from ocbc is a positive one. To protect the users of their digital products, especially those older folks who might not be so digitally savvy but forced to start using digital transactions for some stuff. Moving to digital transactions seems to be an inevitable industry trend, a matter of time, so the less digitally savvy folks may need some more protection.

What ocbc has probably err-ed on, is their failure to recognise the need to provide the illusion of choice. I.e. just go ahead and highlight unsafe apps, but allow transactions to continue if the user acknowledges the risks of doing so and accepts full responsibility if any financial loss occurs as a result of using these unsafe apps on the same device as their banking app.

Fair lah, just like it is your responsibility if you insist on writing your ATM pin on the back of your ATM card, and leaving it around unattended. Well, you can go ahead to do so, but you can't blame the bank if money gets taken from your acct if the atm card goes missing one day 

• Praise 2

Turbocharged
On 8/7/2023 at 10:40 AM, Jtis said:

Actually, many ppl may not agree with me but i thought this move from ocbc is a positive one. To protect the users of their digital products, especially those older folks who might not be so digitally savvy but forced to start using digital transactions for some stuff. Moving to digital transactions seems to be an inevitable industry trend, a matter of time, so the less digitally savvy folks may need some more protection.

What ocbc has probably err-ed on, is their failure to recognise the need to provide the illusion of choice. I.e. just go ahead and highlight unsafe apps, but allow transactions to continue if the user acknowledges the risks of doing so and accepts full responsibility if any financial loss occurs as a result of using these unsafe apps on the same device as their banking app.

Fair lah, just like it is your responsibility if you insist on writing your ATM pin on the back of your ATM card, and leaving it around unattended. Well, you can go ahead to do so, but you can't blame the bank if money gets taken from your acct if the atm card goes missing one day 

oatmeal might be beneficial to your health but not allowing me to eat prawn cracker is unpalatable to most people. 🤣