Xpeng is Coming to Town

Carbon82

Expect more China EV brand to hit our shore in the next 2 years, as the big wave have just started. Ultimately, only the fittest will survive on our tiny island (since we have a fixed quota for new car registration each month/year).

Another point to ponder: Is PA changing their game plan (betting heavily on Chinese EVs) with the declining market share of Audi?

Chinese EV brand Xpeng to be launched in Singapore by second half of 2024

IMGXpengG621TH21VLS.jpg

Xpeng, a Chinese electric vehicle (EV) brand backed by German carmaker Volkswagen, will be launched in Singapore by the second half of 2024.

Sources with close knowledge of the negotiations said the EV maker appointed Premium Automobiles as its distributor recently.

This will be the second Chinese EV brand that Premium is representing, after Zeekr from Geely.

The first Xpeng model to retail in Singapore is expected to be the G6, a sport utility vehicle that is about the same size as the Tesla Model Y. This is likely to include a single motor version capable of covering 580km on a single charge.

Premium Automobiles did not respond to queries on Xpeng when approached for comment. The dealership, which is also the retail partner of German car brand Audi, would say only that Zeekr remains on track to be launched here by the third quarter of 2024.

The Straits Times has also contacted Xpeng for comment.

Xpeng’s impending foray into Singapore comes as the EV adoption rate here rises. In 2023, EVs made up 18.1 per cent of total car registrations, up from 11.7 per cent in 2022 and 3.8 per cent in 2021.

The Chinese brand is regarded by industry experts as among the strongest contenders against Tesla, although it delivered just 141,600 units in 2023 – a fraction of the 1.08 million units managed by the American EV brand.

It sells left-hand drive models in China, Denmark, the Netherlands, Norway and Sweden.

On March 11, the South China Morning Post reported that Xpeng plans to launch right-hand drive models in the second half of 2024 as part of its global expansion strategy.

Volkswagen holds a 5 per cent stake in the company from Guangzhou, China, and the companies are working to develop two VW-branded models for the Chinese market.

Automotive consultant Say Kwee Neng said Xpeng is one of three Chinese EV brands – the other two being Nio and Li Auto – that are well regarded for their products’ technology, design and level of sophistication.

“There is a lot of hype behind these three brands, but ultimately, it will be down to the representative in Singapore to bring in the right model mix and be relevant. We have already seen how BYD has broken down walls to make Chinese EVs desirable to consumers here,” Mr Say added.

Chinese EV brand BYD was the fourth-biggest selling brand in Singapore in 2023, outselling the likes of Nissan (fifth), Hyundai (seventh) and Tesla (ninth).

Xpeng joins at least five other Chinese brands that are slated to enter the Singapore market, including GAC Aion, which will be launched in April by Vincar.

Their addition will more than double the number of Chinese car brands from the four in 2023 – BYD, MG, Maxus and Ora.

Mr Say believes that Chinese EV brands are hastening their move into Singapore to build up global credibility as they try to break into European markets.

Automotive analysts expect EV sales in China to grow at a slower pace in 2024, even as domestic EV brands and Tesla have been cutting prices to boost demand. This slowdown in demand is pushing Chinese EV brands to look abroad for sales, some industry insiders believe.

The other Chinese EV brands slated to launch here are Smart, which Cycle & Carriage will roll out in the first half of 2024; Chery, which is represented by Vertex Automobile; Seres, which is imported by Hong Seh; and Neta, which Vincar has the rights to distribute.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 13

Twincharged

simi lai eh

tot xjp winnie the pooh🙊🙉🙈

ATB ok but no tiongkok kereta

all my naturalised atb sinkies Don't trust too say consperm fire one 😬😬😬

Supersonic
On 3/18/2024 at 7:42 PM, inlinesix said:

TMD 小鵬also no button.

How come Boomers nvr diu it?
😂😂😂😂😂

声控乎😁

Twincharged
(edited)

I would tell everyone to exercise extreme caution to the numerous Chinese EV brands. Many are here today gone tomorrow. 🤣

Edited by Mkl22
  • Haha! 4

Turbocharged
(edited)
On 3/18/2024 at 8:50 PM, Hamburger said:

When I was in cina, only one make made me stood up. Li 理想 L7 or L9.

The Li Autos L7, L8 and L9 have some interesting hybrid propulsion technology. They call it REEV (range extended electric vehicle). Basically it has a 1.5T 4 cylinder engine which will be used to charge the battery pack, which in turn will power the electric motor to drive the wheels. This is pretty much like Nissan's e-Power tech except its 42 kWh battery is much bigger and it should be capable of at least 200km pure electric range which the Nissans cannot do. It also has a 65L fuel tank. Output can be over 400hp with 620Nm torque when charged sufficiently. 

This means LTA will classify it as a hybrid, not as an EV, which means very low road tax given the power. You can also do both AC & DC charging and charge it up as any other EVs or PHEVs, which again the Nissan e-Powers cannot do. 

If this car comes here, I will get it. Seriously impressive. 

image.thumb.png.52ceca2678b652d6efc9c1868c8acdfc.png

image.thumb.png.b392b337a080fc63ef81b883a1403d23.png

Edited by Lethalstrike
  • Praise 10

Supersonic
(edited)
On 3/18/2024 at 9:42 PM, Lethalstrike said:

The Li Autos L7, L8 and L9 have some interesting hybrid propulsion technology. They call it REEV (range extended electric vehicle). Basically it has a 1.5T 4 cylinder engine which will be used to charge the battery pack, which in turn will power the electric motor to drive the wheels. This is pretty much like Nissan's e-Power tech except its 42 kWh battery is much bigger and it should be capable of at least 200km pure electric range which the Nissans cannot do. It also has a 65L fuel tank. Output can be over 400hp with 620Nm torque when charged sufficiently. 

This means LTA will classify it as a hybrid, not as an EV, which means very low road tax given the power. You can also do both AC & DC charging and charge it up as any other EVs or PHEVs, which again the Nissan e-Powers cannot do. 

Unlike Nissan e-power la.

That Nissan e-power useless due to small battery and cannot charge via charging station.

It is same as BMW i3 REx la. i3 REx is classified as hybrid

Leap Motor also doing the same thing.

Edited by inlinesix
  • Praise 1

Supersonic

Now that you highlighted openly, LTA is going to close the road tax loophole. See what happen to SA shielding when we discussed it openly in MCF? 

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 5

Turbocharged
On 3/18/2024 at 10:00 PM, inlinesix said:

Unlike Nissan e-power la.

That Nissan e-power useless due to small battery and cannot charge via charging station.

It is same as BMW i3 REx la. i3 REx is classified as hybrid

Leap Motor also doing the same thing.

Capabilities and features wise this is much more premium. But working principle same as e-Power mah 😁

The engine has no gearbox attached to it thus its not connected to any driveshafts. The only stuff turning the wheels are the electric motors on the front and rear axles. 

• Praise 2

Turbocharged
(edited)
On 3/18/2024 at 10:15 PM, Volvobrick said:

Now that you highlighted openly, LTA is going to close the road tax loophole. See what happen to SA shielding when we discussed it openly in MCF? 

No lah. If they want to do it, they would have done it to Nissan e-Power a long time ago. I'm of the belief that as long as they still can collect petrol excise duties from you, it will simply remain as a hybrid. 

Edited by Lethalstrike

Supersonic
On 3/18/2024 at 10:17 PM, Lethalstrike said:

Capabilities and features wise this is much more premium. But working principle same as e-Power mah 😁

The engine has no gearbox attached to it thus it’s not connected to any driveshafts. The only stuff turning the wheels are the electric motors on the front and rear axles. 

The 1st BEV with REx in Singapore was i3 REx.

Unlike NIssan e-power, BEV with REx is still BEV as it can be charged externally + decent size battery.

• Praise 1

Supersonic
On 3/18/2024 at 10:15 PM, Volvobrick said:

They should.

How ppl who buy A45s pay the same road tax as A250?

Anyway, hybrid has always been the highest amount of ICE or Electric motor.

• Praise 1

Twincharged
(edited)

Till LTA catches on and screws everyone up. Remember CNG debacle? Or come up like some smlj calculation for early turn over. So convoluted and complex. 
I know some will say what to do. Buying car here must always be prepared to get shove right up the arse at times. 🤣

Edited by Mkl22
  • Haha! 3

Twincharged
On 3/18/2024 at 10:18 PM, Lethalstrike said:

No lah. If they want to do it, they would have done it to Nissan e-Power a long time ago. I'm of the belief that as long as they still can collect petrol excise duties from you, it will simply remain as a hybrid. 

Already collect less as cars are more efficient these days. I foresee akan datang. Will be some shit ass formula that calculates cc plus kw motor size. 

• Sad 1
  • Haha! 1