Kelpie 2nd Gear March 8, 2009 Share March 8, 2009 hey, the engine specs of korean cars are never their "forte" give and take la. focus powerful? so be it. I'm seeing them having more and more horses these days leh . But historically, they have overstated their bhp in the past and kena sued by consumers before so that might have tinted their image to a certain extent. Focus Powerful meh? I owned it before but it is just too heavy. The handling is a bit overstated. I like what the guru has mentioned in the 5th Gear program, the faster and better handling cars are those that are lighter with good platform/chassis. Not always those heavier TC with higher bhp/torque. Regards, ↡ Advertisement Link to post Share on other sites More sharing options...
Victor68 Turbocharged March 11, 2009 Share March 11, 2009 Actually there is so much talk about engine power and 0-100 per second. I don't really buy this. For me, the only feel is to test drive myself to have a feel of the power when, overtaking, going up a steep slop, start off the block, etc. I remember my sunny jerk back with I step on the the fuel going up slope before changing gear! Anyway, I never expect my car to perform like a F1 car. We are in Singapore mah, just need the power to ensure safety. I have tested the Avante, OK lah for that price. 124 bhp, I really can't tell because I have driven lower bhp but has better feel of the power. However, the engine is quiet I must say. Link to post Share on other sites More sharing options...
Pskvin Neutral Newbie March 11, 2009 Share March 11, 2009 Probably quite there on the timing. The Vios 2003/04 I have tested it 9.3 secs and I think City 2003/04 should be similar. But latest City is 120bhp, so the 0-100km/h timing may fall below 9 secs. In fact, the city has the deepest boot I have seen in that class size. You can put luggage vertical instead of flat on the boot. how true is that? that could be the fastest among all 'common' salon in the market. Link to post Share on other sites More sharing options...
Help1 1st Gear March 11, 2009 Share March 11, 2009 hahahaha...so funny that you guys are talking how many seconds to reach from 0-100km/h...do you know that the lesser time it takes, the faster you will die you should look for cars that take more time to reach from 0-100km/h so that you have higher chance to survive...LOL Link to post Share on other sites More sharing options...
Zippaboy 4th Gear March 11, 2009 Share March 11, 2009 how true is that? that could be the fastest among all 'common' salon in the market. i think the old MT vios is one of the cheapest/fastest you can get for 0-100km/hr i guess it's due to the extremely light weight. Link to post Share on other sites More sharing options...
Mizarahi Clutched March 11, 2009 Share March 11, 2009 i think the old MT vios is one of the cheapest/fastest you can get for 0-100km/hr i guess it's due to the extremely light weight. But the Vios only 109 bhp wor. If TS says Avante (121 bhp) is powerful engine, then does it means vios comes with lousy engine? I think AT vios also can cream Avante; Airwave & Focus. Link to post Share on other sites More sharing options...
Altivo 3rd Gear March 11, 2009 Share March 11, 2009 (edited) But the Vios only 109 bhp wor. If TS says Avante (121 bhp) is powerful engine, then does it means vios comes with lousy engine? I think AT vios also can cream Avante; Airwave & Focus. don't just look at the raw numbers.... most important is the power to weight ratio. Also, gotta consider if the figures is relative to crank or wheels. Also, does a smaller BHP equate to a lousy engine? or vice versa conversely? Don't read too much into all these lah. Edited March 11, 2009 by Altivo Link to post Share on other sites More sharing options...
Mersurf Neutral Newbie March 11, 2009 Share March 11, 2009 But the Vios only 109 bhp wor. If TS says Avante (121 bhp) is powerful engine, then does it means vios comes with lousy engine? I think AT vios also can cream Avante; Airwave & Focus. Vios got one of the worst engine, according to my bro, who sold his less than a year Vios for the Lancer EX. Link to post Share on other sites More sharing options...
Octopus 3rd Gear March 11, 2009 Share March 11, 2009 Vios got one of the worst engine, according to my bro, who sold his less than a year Vios for the Lancer EX. That's surprising, cos I thought Vios got quite good engine, even Axio having the same engine as Vios. Link to post Share on other sites More sharing options...
Ahgongwolve Clutched March 11, 2009 Share March 11, 2009 do you guys notice, Avante's 1.6L engine 121hp and 180N.m even higher than Honda Civic 1.8 only 174N.m what is the technology used in Anante? http://www.sgcarmart.com/new_cars/compare.php HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH 1 point for spec manipulation and -1 point for uglyness Link to post Share on other sites More sharing options...
Havoline Neutral Newbie March 21, 2009 Share March 21, 2009 for opc avante considering new car prices with coe +only3-5k after 1 year, then ur depre for after 1 year if sell to 2nd hand dealer is -$13-15k off ur new purchase price. For jap cars is -$10-11k after 1st yr. I dont understand the new car COE + 3-5k after 1 year? Isit OMV + 3-5k? Link to post Share on other sites More sharing options...
Happily1986 5th Gear March 28, 2009 Share March 28, 2009 (edited) okay guys one thing. instead of having some nebulous discussion on Avante engine vis a vis Civic, why dont you just look at the respective dynocharts to analyse so that you can analyse the issue better? I have provided the dynochart of the 2.0 beta engine cos Avante comes in the 2.0 flavour in some markets and lest some of you are interested to compare with the FD2 Si Edited March 28, 2009 by Happily1986 Link to post Share on other sites More sharing options...
Luke721 Neutral Newbie March 29, 2009 Share March 29, 2009 okay guys one thing. instead of having some nebulous discussion on Avante engine vis a vis Civic, why dont you just look at the respective dynocharts to analyse so that you can analyse the issue better? I have provided the dynochart of the 2.0 beta engine cos Avante comes in the 2.0 flavour in some markets and lest some of you are interested to compare with the FD2 Si agree with you on that bro. moving foward, guess the best way to be objective is what like other bros have mentioned here - go get a 'butt' feel of the Avante before posting in an honest fashion (as opposed to just bashing the korean makes). btw, to be really objective, i drive a 05wrx on weekdays and the avante on wkends. the avante is by no means sluggish, and it does pull itself very well on the roads, expressways and also the kuantan highway (which happened in june 2007). no complaints on fc too, as i'm averaging around 12.5km/l on 16" shoes. car still feels pretty comfortable coming 3 years now, with my only complaint that the engine can be too darn silent at times. Link to post Share on other sites More sharing options...
Whatupz 1st Gear April 8, 2009 Share April 8, 2009 my fren mod his avante and say he can eat my civic 2.0 M SI. How's truth ? Link to post Share on other sites More sharing options...
Victor68 Turbocharged April 16, 2009 Share April 16, 2009 Hey guys, I am not expert in these data. I test drive the avante but didn't find the power leh. Yes the engine is quite quiet but pick up so so lah. Link to post Share on other sites More sharing options...
Mits_jc 5th Gear April 16, 2009 Share April 16, 2009 Mod your civic to eat his avante lor. Link to post Share on other sites More sharing options...
Jl1500k Clutched April 16, 2009 Share April 16, 2009 Hey guys, I am not expert in these data. I test drive the avante but didn't find the power leh. Yes the engine is quite quiet but pick up so so lah. Sometime having 121 bhp doesn't mean pick up is good. I think is due to CVT or CVVT. Engine is quiet is becos hyundai has done a very good sound proof for avante. Same for kia forte having 124 bhp but pick up also so so only. Link to post Share on other sites More sharing options...
Jl1500k Clutched April 16, 2009 Share April 16, 2009 Mod your civic to eat his avante lor. Is depend the driver daring to race at high speed or not and nothing to do with car. ↡ Advertisement Link to post Share on other sites More sharing options...
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In NowRelated Discussions
Related Discussions
ICE ICE baby - Internal Combustion Engine Only Chat
ICE ICE baby - Internal Combustion Engine Only Chat
Engine Mounting
Engine Mounting
Direct Injection Engine - Intake Valve Cleaning
Direct Injection Engine - Intake Valve Cleaning
Mercedes Benz's Engine Downsizing Strategy
Mercedes Benz's Engine Downsizing Strategy
Can buy this new engine oil in Giant? $17.90
Can buy this new engine oil in Giant? $17.90
Come on in if you are into cheap engine oils...
Come on in if you are into cheap engine oils...
The world’s most powerful passports
The world’s most powerful passports