How much Mileage Adjustment will a dealer adjust?

SGCMHello

Do you know roughly how much mileage dealer will adjust to deceive buyers?

It is not 20% or 30%. They adjust as low as you will believe.

My friend sold his Honda jazz to a dealer, mileage was at more than 250K. The car was full of problems when mileage was from 150+km onwards.

The dealer adjusted it to 120km when advertising it for sale. They will choose a mileage to “match” the car condition in a way that you will believe. They know if adjusted to say less than 100KM, it’s too obvious and buyers will not believe.

Maybe I should track down the buyer and inform him so that he can take necessary recourse / compensation / refund / legal actions against the dealer, whichever he chooses.

You want insider? My car dealer friend told me ALL his cars are mileage adjusted. This is “Industry Practice”.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2

Since they already intend to adjust, they'll definitely adjust to a good figure, no point adjusting 20/30%. 

It's common nowadays. mileage is no longer genuine.

But i just cannot imagine, 

lets say this car 250k mileage, they adjust to 120k, after that the owner drive till 200k again, sell to dealer, adjust again and again. 

wa the end of 10 year i think i real mileage is 500k nobody knows. hahhahaha

• Praise 2

I only know your car dealer "friend" is a prick to call mileage tampering an industry practice.

I'm sure there are honest dealers out there.

A reasonable guideline is 20,000 km per year. Match that to the age of the car and its physical condition.

Ya la... Thus buying used car really bo hua

DEP is the same or higher than new car, try to buy from direct owner who is also the first owner. Safer

• Praise 1

and all this while who has kept their mouth shut even though they know it is a malpractice by car dealer.

collect money they know best without hardware breaking down. But when it comes to protecting consumer rights, where got time!

• Praise 1

I only know your car dealer "friend" is a prick to call mileage tampering an industry practice.

I'm sure there are honest dealers out there.

A reasonable guideline is 20,000 km per year. Match that to the age of the car and its physical condition.

20,000km a year is in fact the correct average for cars in Singapore. But this also means that for every car that does 10,000km in a year, there is another one with 30,000km a year.

However when you look at used cars online you will see that 90% are below 20,000km a year mileage and maybe 5% are about average. This obviously does not add up.

I would go as far as to say that at least 50% of all used cars have tampered mileage. Just go through sgcarmart listings and you will see that this is the only way that the numbers add up.

• Praise 2

Having said so, not all cars in Singapore reach 250,000km also lar. Some cars may not even reach 200,000km upon their tenth year. 

So I guess there are some factors the dealers will take into account if they really want to tamper. E.g. age of car, number of owners and whether the car is a 100% agent-serviced unit. 

Edited by Damien22
  • Praise 1

mine (car was 5 yr old at the time of purchase) was adjusted by at least 40k.

called the AD after I got the car and asked what was the mileage from the last servicing. did a back calculation based on avg annual mileage of 20k for typical sg car.

during test drive, the car was relatively fine, was just curious to know the actual mileage, or at least how much it was rolled back by [laugh]

Edited by Mits_jc

You know how to keng, so does the used car dealer. Ppl want to buy a used unit but don't want to spend money to repair and maintain the car. You think where got such a sweet deal waiting for you. If every mother's son want such a sweet deal who will go buy a new car? I also want. Not just you.

Pls stop with your unrealistic expectations maybe then the dealer won't bother to go tamper the odometer. Think about it, the dealer is just giving what ppl want. You think the direct first seller won't go to a mechanic to tamper his car's odo before advertising it? More money to earn. Why not? Honesty can eat want or not?

Edited by Watwheels

You want insider? My car dealer friend told me ALL his cars are mileage adjusted. This is “Industry Practice”.

I would agree that this is an industry practice, not to say there aren't any honest dealers around but they are in the minority.

Once I test drove a car with 260,000km on the odo, since I am scrapping my car with 240,000km, it feels very strange to replace it with an even higher mileage. Two days later I saw the same car being advertised with like 76,000km on the odo. Car condition is good so it is hard to tell.

During the test drive I asked the dealer if they adjust the odo and they vehemently denied doing so and the naive me believed them until I saw the new odo reading days later.

What is even worse is that the AD are not very helpful on this issue. When I approached several ADs to retrieve the mileage based on the servicing records, they actually refuse to release. So this is indeed an "INDUSTRY PRACTICE" with both AD and dealers in it. Their practices might have changed as this is a few years back.

As I looked at all the similar cars on the market, I realize that more than 70% have unrealistically low mileage.

The car I finally bought was on consignment with the dealer so the dealer did not bother to tamper much with it and the mileage was normal to high.

• Praise 1

corrected for you ... haha

TS, please let us know which dealer your friend is from, so that we dont patronise haha...

so that we can sell our 5 years 100k milleage car to him at 20k milleage price ...

owner second car ... lady driver ... doctor ... drive to gym and home only ... *wink* *wink* ... lol

Edited by Wt_know
  • Praise 1

When I bought my previous one year plus car second hand, the odo was about 40k.

Real number likely even higher.

When I sold it to the AD at 6th year, it was at about 150k.

With the tweaking, the actual mileage for a 6 year old can go as high as 200k.

The last time I saw it on sgcarmart, it was advertised at 100k.

Good luck to the next owner who doesn't replace the wear and tear stuff before schedule.

I was rather lucky the car was trouble free throughout, despite also got in an accident during my ownership

You wanna know how many km used car dealers adjust? Go to quotz.com.sg where you will see the actual condition of used cars, back accident , signs of removes panel , 250k km for 7 years old car and compare it with a similar model and year in sgcarmart. It is not 100% accurate but it will give you an idea.

Edited by No_worries
  • Praise 1

corrected for you ... haha

And also want to laugh when I saw the advert for my previous car.

Fussy lady driver, second car driving to market and sending children to school only.

And also want to laugh when I saw the advert for my previous car.

Fussy lady driver, second car driving to market and sending children to school only.

haha, yeah, lady driver.

↡ Advertisement