2.5 camry hybrid vs 2.5 mazda 6

villan

obviously my friend..a world apart! RWD cars will always be superior in terms of dynamics such as body roll,contours and power distribution. not to mention more confidence while speeding or changing lane at higher speed as the RWD make the car planted and assured. the only upside of a FWD vehicle is that it is easier to maintain and performs better mileage. im currently driving a GS250 and when i tested the latest ES,sadly the driving is not up to the GS.though quality,NVH and ride is superb,it's just not the same with the GS or 5 series in terms of handling.hope this answer your question but i guess this is just my humble opinion..someone else might explain to you better. 

For very high torque cars, RWD is preferred because the car shifts its weight back (inertia) under hard acceleration. By doing so, it actually INCREASES traction of the wheels, maximizing the grip and hence less wasted torque. The 2.5 T Mazda 6 is FWD and a common complaint is that the high torque temporarily overwhelms the front wheels (because of load shifting when accelerating from standstill), causing wheel-slip.

Also, because the front wheels are free to steer the vehicle, the turning radius of the car tends to be smaller for a RWD vehicle vs a FWD.

As with most things in engineering, everything is Yin and Yang. RWD also has downsides. Wikipedia is your best friend if you desire the details.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

For very high torque cars, RWD is preferred because the car shifts its weight back (inertia) under hard acceleration. By doing so, it actually INCREASES traction of the wheels, maximizing the grip and hence less wasted torque. The 2.5 T Mazda 6 is FWD and a common complaint is that the high torque temporarily overwhelms the front wheels (because of load shifting when accelerating from standstill), causing wheel-slip.

Also, because the front wheels are free to steer the vehicle, the turning radius of the car tends to be smaller for a RWD vehicle vs a FWD.

As with most things in engineering, everything is Yin and Yang. RWD also has downsides. Wikipedia is your best friend if you desire the details.

Mini is FWD.  The only time i overwhelm it under full load is road with sand.

It is all boils down to ECU setting.

you said it right buddy!but as the question to my answer,a RWD will always handles better than a FWD vehicle.provided the driver is up to it.

maintenance/parts cost is a big consideration too...coming from bmw...

saw some PI versions from AU.....thought they shut the plant in 2017?

Aussie Camry is imported from Japan.
  • Praise 1

obviously my friend..a world apart! RWD cars will always be superior in terms of dynamics such as body roll,contours and power distribution. not to mention more confidence while speeding or changing lane at higher speed as the RWD make the car planted and assured. the only upside of a FWD vehicle is that it is easier to maintain and performs better mileage. im currently driving a GS250 and when i tested the latest ES,sadly the driving is not up to the GS.though quality,NVH and ride is superb,it's just not the same with the GS or 5 series in terms of handling.hope this answer your question but i guess this is just my humble opinion..someone else might explain to you better. 

thank you for your kind and patient explanation. Some people say the handling of the ES is almost as good as the GS but I could not believe it. By the way, do you know if the handling of the Camry similar to the ES?

• Praise 1

thank you for your kind and patient explanation. Some people say the handling of the ES is almost as good as the GS but I could not believe it. By the way, do you know if the handling of the Camry similar to the ES?

You're welcome.The latest ES and Camry share the same platform. in fact,both have the same engine(2500 cc) and transmission(8 speed gearbox). personally, To be fair,I wouldn't know the handling differences because I have not test driven the Camry but i believe the ES is better. Besides their similarities which i stated, everything else is different. To say the ES handles better is subjective...but I can assure you it drives smoother,quieter and more luxurious than a Camry and it has 10 airbags(which is the most in it's class). some even calls it a "glorified Camry". The ES will also consume more fuel as it is significantly heavier than a Camry besides the premium price difference. The latest ES does handles better than previous model. Almost as good as a GS?....probably almost but will never be equally good. Cheers!

FYI-I will be collecting my brand new "glorified Camry" a few days before Christmas. God willing. Jingle all the way!!!

• Praise 3

You're welcome.The latest ES and Camry share the same platform. in fact,both have the same engine(2500 cc) and transmission(8 speed gearbox). personally, To be fair,I wouldn't know the handling differences because I have not test driven the Camry but i believe the ES is better. Besides their similarities which i stated, everything else is different. To say the ES handles better is subjective...but I can assure you it drives smoother,quieter and more luxurious than a Camry and it has 10 airbags(which is the most in it's class). some even calls it a "glorified Camry". The ES will also consume more fuel as it is significantly heavier than a Camry besides the premium price difference. The latest ES does handles better than previous model. Almost as good as a GS?....probably almost but will never be equally good. Cheers!

FYI-I will be collecting my brand new "glorified Camry" a few days before Christmas. God willing. Jingle all the way!!!

To call the Lexus ES a "glorified Camry" is really a bit of a stretch.

Lexus is a properly differentiated luxury brand, unlike Nissan's Infiniti... Nissan took a look over the fence at what Toyota did with Lexus and said "Hmmm! We should do that too!". Good idea, poor execution, if not for the fact that their Nissan brand is sinking lower (problematic CVTs, etc), Infiniti wouldn't look so good.

Having said that, the new ES and the new Camry (which includes the P.I hybrid model), share the same TGNA body. So the handling characteristics are probably going to be similar (they even share the same suspensions). The key difference will be in the refinement i.e NVH, interior furnishing, engine and suspension tuning, etc.

Edited by DK3410

Lexus is a properly differentiated luxury brand, unlike Nissan's Infiniti... Nissan took a look over the fence at what Toyota did with Lexus and said "Hmmm! We should do that too!". Good idea, poor execution, if not for the fact that their Nissan brand is sinking lower (problematic CVTs, etc), Infiniti wouldn't look so good.

Having said that, the new ES and the new Camry (which includes the P.I hybrid model), share the same TGNA body. So the handling characteristics are probably going to be similar (they even share the same suspensions). The key difference will be in the refinement i.e NVH, interior furnishing, engine and suspension tuning, etc.

Amen to that,brother!

I read that the ES received additional chassis strengthening through more welding points and more bracing compared to the Camry.

ES and Camry is not comparable.

It should be ES vs Avalon.  Unfortunately, Avalon not available here.

• Praise 2

ES and Camry is not comparable.

It should be ES vs Avalon.  Unfortunately, Avalon not available here.

how about Kia stinger? think the price is not far from camry or m6 2.5.

how would it fare against camry in terms of NVH and maintenance cost?

since stinger is not your typical Korean sedan (like elantra,optima...), not sure about the maintenance and parts cost...

how about Kia stinger? think the price is not far from camry or m6 2.5.

how would it fare against camry in terms of NVH and maintenance cost?

since stinger is not your typical Korean sedan (like elantra,optima...), not sure about the maintenance and parts cost...

Er, that would depend on which of the stingers you're talking about...

The GT is almost 200k, whereas the most expensive Mazda 6 2.5L Luxury is about 137k (rounding up).

Haven't gotten down to molesting a stinger in the showroom or taking it out for a test-drive yet. But it's definitely on my "must drive one of these days" list.

Have seen at least 3 stingers on the road the last couple of months. Stuck in traffic with everyone else, so no chance for it to flex its muscle.

Not much point paying for the top spec 2.5L mz6 IMO.

The same old 2.5L engine that's completely unchanged since 2012/2013.

Only add 2 cyls cut out at Light throttle.

↡ Advertisement