Singaporean woman's wedding with 'ang moh' husband at Clementi void deck is like no other

kobayashiGT

Internal Moderator

Singaporean woman's wedding with 'ang moh' husband at Clementi void deck is like no other

source: https://stomp.straitstimes.com/singapore-seen/singaporean-womans-wedding-with-ang-moh-husband-at-clementi-void-deck-is-like-no

romanticwedding.jpg

We have all been to our fair share of weddings — but have you ever attended any that left an exceptionally deep imprint on your mind?

A wedding that Stomper Grace attended on Saturday (Jan 4) was so special and unique that she decided to share her experience with Stomp.

The joyous occasion was held at Block 306A Clementi Avenue 4 and combined several elements from different cultures.

whatsapp_image_2020-01-06_at_12.49.44_pm

Grace said: "We've all been to weddings in Singapore, but what made the recent one I attended so special is the couple's effortless way of bringing multiculturalism together on their wedding day.

"For background, my good friend is a Singaporean Chinese who recently married a Brit who has been living here in Singapore for a number of years now.

"With friends and family coming in from all parts of the world, they wanted to show the unique culture of Singapore."

According to Grace, the couple chose the void deck of their block in Clementi as their wedding venue "instead of opting for the usual ballroom".

Forget stiff formal gowns and black ties — what made the wedding stand out even more was its 'lepak chic' dress code.

Grace recounted: "The food was catered from the couple's favourite restaurant Pariaman, which serves Indonesian cuisine.

"There was also a bar that served customised cocktails honouring the couple's respective cultures, as well as a 'potion' inspired by their love for the Dota 2 game.

"Guests were entertained with a special lion dance performance and a friendly visit from the ice-cream uncle."

whatsapp_image_2020-01-06_at_1.20.07_pm.

lion_dance_celebration.jpg

ice_cream_uncle_0.jpg

Asked if the couple had specifically hired the ice-cream man, Grace explained: "They reached out to the uncle because he sells ice cream around their block.

"They told him, 'Come at this time, we will give you $xxx and you can have some business.'

"They weren’t sure if he would turn up because they didn’t officially pre-book him or anything, but he did! So I guess you could say he was hired!

"As the groom was Jewish, they also had a chuppah as part of their ceremony decor."

solemnisation_under_the_chuppah.jpg

A chuppah is a canopy under which a couple stands during Jewish weddings. It typically consists of a cloth stretched or supported over four poles.

The Stomper added: "After the bride was given the ring, the groom broke a glass as everyone shouted, 'Mazel Tov!' (meaning 'congratulations' in Hebrew).

"The celebrations continued with a Jewish celebratory dance (known as a Horah), with the bride and groom lifted on chairs while everyone else danced around in circles."

dancing_the_hora.jpg

(Grace told Stomp that the Horah was her favourite part of the wedding)

meetingmp.jpg

(Ms Sim Ann, Senior Minister of State at the Ministry of Culture, Community and Youth and Ministry of Communications and Information, made a surprise appearance at the wedding)

Grace said: "What made everything extra special was a surprise visit from the Member of Parliament for Holland-Bukit Timah, Ms Sim Ann, who probably heard about the wedding too!

"I can’t think of a better way to witness this beautiful multicultural wedding right here in Singapore."

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 8

LoL...he looks Mediterranean or Middle Eastern to me. Where is the "ang moh"?

If ppl comprain about how ppl look at Asians "all look the same" or Indian nationals "all look the same".... some ppl are no different, you cant differentiate who is "ang moh" and who is not.

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 5

Nice. So much classier than those boring 4hr long wedding dinners w the customary 1 hr delay, dry ice 'drama' entry (seen it a million times but we're supposed to be impressed), generic menu (that takes forever to come), sit thru dunno how many costume changes (wassup w that?), make endless small talk w strangers (no I'm not interested in how clever is your kid or well your investments are doing)

Malay wedding bestest. Drop in anytime, makan leftovers, relak chit chat, siam. All within 1 hr.

• Praise 9

3 minutes ago, Soya said:

Nice. So much classier than those boring 4hr long wedding dinners w the customary 1 hr delay, dry ice 'drama' entry (seen it a million times but we're supposed to be impressed), generic menu (that takes forever to come), sit thru dunno how many costume changes (wassup w that?), make endless small talk w strangers (no I'm not interested in how clever is your kid or well your investments are doing)

Malay wedding bestest. Drop in anytime, makan leftovers, relak chit chat, siam. All within 1 hr.

Yah man, I think it is really an innovative and cool idea!!!! [thumbsup]

Had I know it earlier, I would probably have gone over uninvited also.[laugh][laugh][laugh]

• Praise 2
  • Haha! 4

14 minutes ago, Watwheels said:

LoL...he looks Mediterranean or Middle Eastern to me. Where is the "ang moh"?

If ppl comprain about how ppl look at Asians "all look the same" or Indian nationals "all look the same".... some ppl are no different, you cant differentiate who is "ang moh" and who is not.

He is a Jew, and a British citizen, thats where the  your "middle eastern" and the "ang moh"  meet lah....[laugh][laugh][laugh]

Edited by Tianmo

Very difficult to find wedding banquet hold downstairs hdb block now. People all now hold their wedding banquet at atas and posh venue. The other day saw one wedding held inside the garden by the bay flower dome, the wedding looks so high class and grand siah. Now then i know can hold wedding banquet there de wonder how much it cost? [rolleyes]

Edited by 13177
  • Haha! 1

AMDK marry at void deck: Different, stylo, atas, creative, "like no other", heartwarming, interesting!
Sinkie marry at void deck: Better don't say

Edited by Mockngbrd
  • Praise 5
  • Haha! 12

Turbocharged

Void deck wedding good! Ang bao $20 can bring whole family go jiak bah bah.🤭😝

But I think poolside swimwear wedding party more interesting...with bikini lion dance maybe 😂

• Haha! 8

1 hour ago, Tianmo said:

He is a Jew, and a British citizen, thats where the  your "middle eastern" and the "ang moh"  meet lah....[laugh][laugh][laugh]

So many middle east migrants get uk citizenship and call themselves "englishman". Yikes! 

• Haha! 2

wahlau....all the time malay wedding at void deck. also multi-culture...everyone n anyone are invited. now ang moh wedding at void deck suddenly become news. n so-called "wedding like no other"?

• Praise 3
  • Haha! 4

my mom immediately summoned my sister back from US while she is doing her master than after knowing she had a "ang mo" boy friend.