Jump to content

Simple home DIY repairs


Lala81
 Share

Recommended Posts

Supersonic
On 5/27/2026 at 1:27 PM, Lala81 said:

Fug man. Damn sian. Installed this and cleaned up cos lots of concrete dust from the drilling. Spent like few hours.

Then went to try and it came loose. 

Drilled two diagonal holes each side then installed the expansion bolts. 

The hex bolt drill driver I bought is too small so hand tightened. 

I think I didn't think it through properly. Probably drilled too deep a hole. 

 

IMG20260527131924.jpg

I would install 4 bolts, not 2, as it is uneven. You can see the top bolt peeling off first. and the part below becomes a pivot.

Such a heavy item needs to secure properly, even without the extra load you are going to add on.

Worse case, you need to do the top 2 bolts as they are load bearing, maybe normal wall plug/screws below, as what I did for my heavy fan.

 

wbolt.jpg

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Supersonic
On 5/28/2026 at 8:39 AM, Lala81 said:

Hmm If i get you correctly, 

1. Insert the bolt until the sleeve is inside the hole
2. Then already tighten the nut up until the expansion sleeve partly expands and more of the screw thread is exposed. Then it should at least be snug with resistance
3. Then reverse the nut out, mount the pullup bar plate and finally totally tighten the nut up?

 

I was damn stupid the last time, never checked how big the nut was, then bought the adaptors which only reached size 13mm. But the external dimensions of the nut is 16mm. 

Ordered the 16mm hexagon nut adaptor for my small makita impact driver. Lol never even used it before cos it came as a set with my drill.

I'm curious what do you mean by 16mm hex nut adaptor.

For m10 bolt, the size of the bolt head and nut is 17mm, not 16mm.

Usually the drive size is 1/2" available locally. In US it can be 3/8", or it can be a hex drive like this:

https://shopee.sg/6Pcs-6mm-17mm-Extra-Deep-Socket-Adapter-Bolt-Nut-Bit-1-4-Inch-Hex-Shank-Impact-Driver-Socket-Adapter-SHOPSBC6012-i.54472195.23276485400?extraParams={"display_model_id"%3A225507401364%2C"model_selection_logic"%3A3}&sp_atk=3cd62d34-464d-48e7-849c-c5319a400a1b&xptdk=3cd62d34-464d-48e7-849c-c5319a400a1b

Note: there is no 16mm socket.

  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Hypersonic
(edited)
On 5/30/2026 at 2:52 PM, Kb27 said:

I'm curious what do you mean by 16mm hex nut adaptor.

For m10 bolt, the size of the bolt head and nut is 17mm, not 16mm.

Usually the drive size is 1/2" available locally. In US it can be 3/8", or it can be a hex drive like this:

https://shopee.sg/6Pcs-6mm-17mm-Extra-Deep-Socket-Adapter-Bolt-Nut-Bit-1-4-Inch-Hex-Shank-Impact-Driver-Socket-Adapter-SHOPSBC6012-i.54472195.23276485400?extraParams={"display_model_id"%3A225507401364%2C"model_selection_logic"%3A3}&sp_atk=3cd62d34-464d-48e7-849c-c5319a400a1b&xptdk=3cd62d34-464d-48e7-849c-c5319a400a1b

Note: there is no 16mm socket.

Wah zzz u are right. I just received it this morning and it just doesn't fit. I'm not using callipers,zzz my measuring tape shows 16mm 

Edited by Lala81
  • Haha! 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Supersonic
On 5/30/2026 at 4:04 PM, Lala81 said:

Wah zzz u are right. I just received it this morning and it just doesn't fit. I'm not using callipers,zzz my measuring tape shows 16mm 

I recommend a cheap $7 digital vernier caliper to keep for home use. [;)]

They are quite accurate and hasn't failed me yet, although I have a bit more expensive ones.

They worked by programming fixed distance on the ruler, simple and relatively accurate, as the ruler material is fixed and doesn't contract or expand.

https://shopee.sg/Digital-Caliper-Measuring-Tool-Electronic-Micrometer-for-Precision-Measurements-Digital-Caliper-Vernier-Caliper-Digital-i.1006220784.24526049208?extraParams={"display_model_id"%3A207457433116%2C"model_selection_logic"%3A3}&sp_atk=00059614-0f6c-45f0-b2af-8eff367e6c82&xptdk=00059614-0f6c-45f0-b2af-8eff367e6c82

  • Praise 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Hypersonic
(edited)
On 5/30/2026 at 4:33 PM, Kb27 said:

I recommend a cheap $7 digital vernier caliper to keep for home use. [;)]

They are quite accurate and hasn't failed me yet, although I have a bit more expensive ones.

They worked by programming fixed distance on the ruler, simple and relatively accurate, as the ruler material is fixed and doesn't contract or expand.

https://shopee.sg/Digital-Caliper-Measuring-Tool-Electronic-Micrometer-for-Precision-Measurements-Digital-Caliper-Vernier-Caliper-Digital-i.1006220784.24526049208?extraParams={"display_model_id"%3A207457433116%2C"model_selection_logic"%3A3}&sp_atk=00059614-0f6c-45f0-b2af-8eff367e6c82&xptdk=00059614-0f6c-45f0-b2af-8eff367e6c82

I have this cheapo one. Hard to use as the battery cover tends to be loose and reading goes haywire. Now using it like a dumb tool.

Buy a better one (I did - metal one still not good enough) or best get the old fashion non electronic o e if still can find. 

 

Edited by Volvobrick
Link to post
Share on other sites

Supersonic
On 5/30/2026 at 5:26 PM, Volvobrick said:

I have this cheapo one. Hard to use as the battery cover tends to be loose and reading goes haywire. Now using it like a dumb tool.

Buy a better one (I did - metal one still not good enough) or best get the old fashion non electronic o e if still can find. 

 

The battery case cover is a bit of issue. I use a hook to pull the 2 positive strips outwards to grip the battery tighter. So it push the battery up and hold the plastic cover more firmly. You might want to try this. I have a better one from US. General, but it's kept in a nice case.

I use the cheap one more often because I can throw it around. [:p]

  • Praise 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Supersonic

Anyone knows if there is a socket like a tube wrench where it is hollow inside but the external is also a hex. Don’t want it too long.
Possible use case is on a recessed nut with the long bolt in the way. 
something like what I have circled in green but of course material is slightly thicker and sturdy. 

IMG_7342.jpeg

Link to post
Share on other sites

Supersonic

ITE residential plumbing course. 38hrs theory and 81hrs practical!!! 🫣. Its free with skills future. Just that i probably cannot commit the time. 

https://stms.polite.edu.sg/student/ihlcourse/detail/eea6917e-a42c-4924-8495-3ce9a04b714e#course-schedule--1

 

https://isomer-user-content.by.gov.sg/145/f98b602c-093a-4269-838f-1c153a8a93bb/isc-in-residential-plumbing.pdf

 

 

image.thumb.png.fb8ed349b1a88594470899ced2b2eefc.png

  • Praise 2
  • Shocked 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Hypersonic
On 6/5/2026 at 9:01 AM, Mkl22 said:

ITE residential plumbing course. 38hrs theory and 81hrs practical!!! 🫣. Its free with skills future. Just that i probably cannot commit the time. 

https://stms.polite.edu.sg/student/ihlcourse/detail/eea6917e-a42c-4924-8495-3ce9a04b714e#course-schedule--1

 

https://isomer-user-content.by.gov.sg/145/f98b602c-093a-4269-838f-1c153a8a93bb/isc-in-residential-plumbing.pdf

 

 

image.thumb.png.fb8ed349b1a88594470899ced2b2eefc.png

38hrs of theory for plumbing? Wow.

 

 

  • Haha! 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Hypersonic
On 6/5/2026 at 9:23 AM, Lala81 said:

38hrs of theory for plumbing? Wow.

 

 

Study the pipes and pumps maciam arteries and heart! High pressure, low pressure. 

 

  • Praise 1
  • Haha! 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Supersonic

I want to make a hole in the wall to pass through a power cord,

Making holes in the wall to insert wall plug is one thing. Making a through-hole through a wall is quite another. The other side will invariably cracked when the bit punches through. I put some tape on it but it wasn't enough to stop the blow out. I'm supposed to slow down near the end and switch off the hammer, but I didn't.

I start drilling from the tile side, and watched the exit hole blow out the plaster with 8 mm bit. Then reverse make a short hole with 14 mm bit from the other side, and finished up from the tile side, so as to lessen anymore cracks.

I bought 3 long SDS bits, 25 mm bit is for a hole in the kitchen wall to pass through pipe.

Finally, I patched up with a bit of wall putty.

 

 

drh3.jpg

drh2.jpg

drh.jpg

  • Praise 5
Link to post
Share on other sites

Hypersonic
(edited)
On 6/5/2026 at 3:00 PM, Kb27 said:

I want to make a hole in the wall to pass through a power cord,

Making holes in the wall to insert wall plug is one thing. Making a through-hole through a wall is quite another. The other side will invariably cracked when the bit punches through. I put some tape on it but it wasn't enough to stop the blow out. I'm supposed to slow down near the end and switch off the hammer, but I didn't.

I start drilling from the tile side, and watched the exit hole blow out the plaster with 8 mm bit. Then reverse make a short hole with 14 mm bit from the other side, and finished up from the tile side, so as to lessen anymore cracks.

I bought 3 long SDS bits, 25 mm bit is for a hole in the kitchen wall to pass through pipe.

Finally, I patched up with a bit of wall putty.

 

 

drh3.jpg

drh2.jpg

drh.jpg

Thanks, learnt something.

U may need some more graduated bit sizes like how this guy did it. 

 

Edited by Lala81
  • Praise 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Supersonic

New to me, metal wall plug. Comes with screws set. Surprisingly the screws had PZ2 head, not phillips.

Let's see how it works out.

 

mplug.jpg

  • Praise 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

Twincharged

@Volvobrick i shud have similar one also ... i only insert the battery when i need to use it ... long long time then use once ..... after use, will just remove the battery. about 2 years old liow.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Twincharged
(edited)

@Kb27 when i drilled a 12 mm hole through my front door frame wall .... it was no joke !! i wanted to run cables for my cctv. the beginning was easy with a rotary drill .... but after i hit the middle, even rotary drill also like lost power !! drill until my arms and hands also sore then finally forced it through ! (in between changing to smaller bits to drill pilot holes over and over again in the same hole!)

Edited by Ysc3
  • Praise 1
  • Haha! 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Twincharged
(edited)

@Kb27 i am trying this out now ... as all new bto all using drywall partitions for the bedrooms ... just use a hammer/mallet to whack the fella into the drywall ... no need to drill. using this for my son's room's white board.

sg-11134201-7rd4g-m6qcrwwhnyx52c.jpg

Edited by Ysc3
  • Praise 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

Supersonic
On 6/6/2026 at 10:09 PM, Ysc3 said:

@Kb27 when i drilled a 12 mm hole through my front door frame wall .... it was no joke !! i wanted to run cables for my cctv. the beginning was easy with a rotary drill .... but after i hit the middle, even rotary drill also like lost power !! drill until my arms and hands also sore then finally forced it through ! (in between changing to smaller bits to drill pilot holes over and over again in the same hole!)

12mm should be a piece of cake for SDS rotary hammer. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hypersonic
(edited)
On 6/5/2026 at 9:23 AM, Lala81 said:

38hrs of theory for plumbing? Wow.

 

 

I tink it also covers this type of world renowned network...our late master planner did say 10mil possible...underground also can...😅

the-system-of-Cu-Chi-Tunnels.jpg

Edited by mersaylee
↡ Advertisement
  • Haha! 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...