RIP Sim Wong Hoo

RadX

hero_17.jpg

The board of directors (the “Board”) of Creative Technology Ltd. (the “Company”) announces with great sadness that Mr. Sim Wong Hoo (“Mr. Sim”), Chairman and Chief Executive Officer of the Company, passed away peacefully on 4 January 2023.

Mr. Sim founded the Company in 1981 and has been the Chairman and Chief Executive Office since inception. Mr. Sim has played an instrumental role in developing the business and has provided the Company with strong leadership and vision. Under his guidance, the Company became famous for the Sound Blaster sound cards and is a worldwide leader in digital entertainment products. The Company also launched the multimedia revolution that drives digital entertainment with cutting-edge audio solutions which include premium wireless speakers, wireless headphones, powerful audiophile-grade amplifiers and digital audio converters, and next-generation home-theatre systems.

Source: https://links.sgx.com/FileOpen/Announcement5Jan23.ashx?App=Announcement&FileID=743361

Thank you for making Singapore proud.

Edited by SGMCF328
  • Praise 17
  • Shocked 1
  • Sad 6

https://www.straitstimes.com/business/companies-markets/creative-technology-founder-sim-wong-hoo-dies-aged-67

Creative Technology founder Sim Wong Hoo dies aged 67

Prisca Ang

SINGAPORE – Creative Technology chairman and chief executive Sim Wong Hoo, one of Singapore’s most famous tech entrepreneurs, died on Wednesday. He was 67.

Mr Sim founded the homegrown business in 1981, and has led the company since its inception.

Under his leadership, Creative became famous for its Sound Blaster sound cards and digital entertainment products. Its audio products include wireless speakers and headphones, amplifiers, digital audio converters, and home-theatre systems.

“On behalf of all staff of the company, the board expresses its deepest sorrow over the death of Mr Sim and conveys its condolences to his family,” said Creative in a bourse filing on Thursday, adding that Mr Sim died peacefully.

Creative’s board has appointed lead independent non-executive director Lee Kheng Nam as the company’s acting chairman and independent non-executive director Ng Kai Wa as acting vice-chairman.

It also appointed Mr Song Siow Hui, president of the company’s Creative Labs business unit, as interim chief executive officer.

Mr Song, who worked with Mr Sim for over 30 years, said his death was a sad and sudden development.

“We feel a great loss especially since Mr Sim and I recently had extensive discussions on the future direction of the company. During those discussions, Mr Sim was full of fresh vision. Even on the night before, he had a long discussion with the engineering team and was scheduled to meet with the online sales team the next day.

“The best thing to do now is to ensure the continued smooth running of the company, and also to execute and realise the vision and strategy that Mr Sim had for the company,” he said.

• Praise 6
  • Sad 4

Supercharged

He was a true tech legend who brought Singapore into the limelight with the Sound blaster cards. 

The West may have innovated the PCs, but he gave life to those PCs with sound and music that was unbelievably good back those days. Having a sound blaster card in our PCs then was an immense pride.

RIP. 

Edited by Starry
  • Praise 12
  • Sad 3

Quite an early departure, is like only a few years after designated retirement age here in SG. That's why i always say 55-60 retire is best to guarantee some enjoyment of life, not just work till the last day. After 50, we should remain stress-free as much as possible and not so bothered by work matters anymore. Even if we resign and leave the next day, the job and the company will still be there running, maybe not so smooth at first, but still runs.

Edited by Sosaria
  • Praise 12
  • Sad 1

Legend. I was late onto the soundblaster scene cos couldn't afford it back then.
But when i got my 1st soundblaster card in 1998, it really made everything sound damn good. 

• Praise 10
  • Sad 1

Turbocharged

True son of singapore..a light to us all the engineers out here in SG....

Dared to take on Steve Jobs..

RIP..

Edited by Kyrios
  • Praise 10
  • Sad 1

RIP Mr Sim 🙏🏼🙏🏼🙏🏼

I still remember the moment of awe when I played my first game with sound blaster!

Looks like he was blessed with a peaceful departure during sleep.

Even on the night before, he had a long discussion with the engineering team and was scheduled to meet with the online sales team the next day.

Edited by Jellandross
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 4
  • Sad 3