What is ya dian?

Philipkee

Recently i had to buy duck rice.  I had to include this part inside.  The ya dian.  I asked the person what it was and the person say it's in the duck's stomach 

Then i went to order duck rice with stomach and everyone laughed.  So the hawker told me it's ya dian and it's in the stomach but she also dunno the English name.

Anyone can help this banana here?

↡ Advertisement

I think it is gizzard, it is called 鸭胗In mandain. It is pronounced as "gian" instead of dian in hokkien. Mandarin pronounced as "zhen" in pin yin.

It is part of the digestive  system, the purpose is to help grind up hard solid object as duck has no teeth. 

For people like me who is old enough to have seen slaughtering of ducks, the gizzard is full of sand when  sliced open. 

Screenshot_20230219_195314_Chrome.jpg

Edited by Ct3833
Update
  • Praise 16

Gd to know MCF still ahead of chatgpt in certain areas

but then again TS is whom we know as… non conventional 😂😂😂

• Haha! 8

my personal funny incident at duck rice shop is actually ask me want egg bo :slow:

chix rice store chix egg :want:

duck rice shop...I told the boss I want a Duck Egg :inlove:

knn everybody there laughed at me...say only Chicken Egg available  no Duck here :ouch-it-hurts:

• Haha! 10

21 minutes ago, Inlinefour said:

my personal funny incident at duck rice shop is actually ask me want egg bo :slow:

knn everybody there laughed at me...say only Chicken Egg available  no Duck here :ouch-it-hurts:

actually why is there no commercial duck egg? other than sometimes being found to fry char kway teow in malaysia. 

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 1

I dont find the part nice. The texture is weird to me.

Foie gras on the other hand taste nicer. But cant find it in hawker food. Ppl also say it is cruel to the duck or goose. Opinions opinions.

1 hour ago, Philipkee said:

Please don't ask me to Google translate.  I tried that and i got duck shop.

KNN, you mixed 3 languages and asked for help to an item without a picture, consider yourself lucky @Ct3833  can read your mind. 

Ya dian, is can be duck shop, can be Athens. 

Duck gizzard,  ya zhen, or ah kian, pls don't go tell ppl you want ya kian, no such thing hor. [laugh][laugh][laugh]

• Praise 4
  • Haha! 13

21 minutes ago, Inlinefour said:

Duck eggs have a unique taste, not as pleasant as that of chicken eggs, it is why most of the duck eggs end up become salted eggs. But i remember during my childhood, duck eggs were used in fried kueh diao, quite nice. 

• Praise 4
  • Haha! 1

7 minutes ago, Lala81 said:

actually why is there no commercial duck egg? other than sometimes being found to fry char kway teow in malaysia. 

Salted eggs are mostly (if not all) duck eggs. Some egg stalls in the wet market can still get duck eggs though very rarely.  Chinese use the one with a light green shell to boil with some medicine. 

Maybe because of lesser demand compare to chicken eggs, likewise goose eggs. [laugh][laugh][laugh]

• Praise 1

1 hour ago, Ct3833 said:

I think it is gizzard, it is called 鸭胗In mandain. It is pronounced as "gian" instead of dian in hokkien. Mandarin pronounced as "zhen" in pin yin.

It is part of the digestive  system, the purpose is to help grind up hard solid object as duck has no teeth. 

For people like me who is old enough to have seen slaughtering of ducks, the gizzard is full of sand when  sliced open. 

Screenshot_20230219_195314_Chrome.jpg

Yup.

i alway order kian.

Dun know if there is any 'dian'  . i think heard wrongly.

• Praise 2
  • Haha! 1

15 minutes ago, Lala81 said:

in tiongkok me also ask for goose egg inside fruit wood charcoal goose shop :yuush:

14 minutes ago, Ct3833 said:

Duck eggs have a unique taste, not as pleasant as that of chicken eggs, it is why most of the duck eggs end up become salted eggs. But i remember during my childhood, duck eggs were used in fried kueh diao, quite nice. 

thats true but shop operator told me Duck egg more expensive than Chicken one :XD:

Why there is no fresh duck eggs in SGP ? As far as i understand,  there is no approved duck eggs importers by FDA. Maybe due to the lower demand, no importer bothers to apply for it anyway.

Duck egg has a stronger, unique or rather fishy taste  that making it less suitable for hard boil consumption,  but for fried kuay diao, i think it makes the taset of fried kuey diao better. 

↡ Advertisement