AirAsia flight from Indonesia to Singapore missing - QZ8501

Vega

If the airplane flew into severe turbulence, the resulting upset will disengage the autopilot.

Then it's up to the pilot skill, alertness and experience to recover the aircraft, which could be in an unusual attitude. Only have limited time to figure out what's wrong and not make it worse.

That's why even with so much automation, pilot still have to remain on guard and alert. And yet it's difficult to do so, with so much automation flying the airplane, ironically.

Behindvfx_1920_2012_Flight.jpg

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

Such a short flight route I doubt the planes altitude will be high in order to save fuel. Other planes might be on higher altitude to avoid bad weather. On the plane tracker you can't tell what altitude the planes are at a glance. The sky is pretty big. In reality they might be pretty far apart.

• Praise 1

reading some tweets and the question is raised again ...

how come another plane can gone missing

in today advanced technology, why cant plane equipped with better tracking device ...

even "crashed" ... the site can be identified asap so that SAR got chance to find survivor

is there a pre-crash device to send "last known location" to a satelite which can be traced?

for the past 10 years the advancement in air plan industry is making the plane more luxury, pack more seat, more fuel economy, etc

it's all profit driven ... advanced safety apart from this blackbox thing that has been developed for decade

and "SAR" features seems like taking a back seat ...

Edited by Wt_know
  • Praise 3

Heard about the news this morning in KL.

By a weird and scary coincidence, was taking my kids to Kidzania this morning and a boy in front of us was saying "a plane has crashed through the building"

There's a giant prop of an AirAsia plane inside that place near the ticketing counter. A couple of mins later, I get a push message from the ST app saying an AirAsia plane is lost.

Can only pray that all is ok. These are busy waters well covered by radar.

post-46412-0-48507100-1419761574.jpg

• Praise 1

reading some tweets and the question is raised again ...

how come another plane can gone missing

in today advanced technology, why cant plane equipped with better tracking device ...

even "crashed" ... the site can be identified asap so that SAR got chance to find survivor

is there a pre-crash device to send "last known location" to a satelite which can be traced?

for the past 10 years the advancement in air plan industry is making the plane more luxury, pack more seat, more fuel economy, etc

it's all profit driven ... advanced safety apart from this blackbox thing that has been developed for decade

and "SAR" features seems like taking a back seat ...

Might sound cold but since air travel is still the safest form of travel, the need for safety measures might not be deemed important or good enough at its current state.

To loosely quote what I read before "until man has learned how to flap his hands and fly, no amount of statistics on the safety of air travel will ever remove the sense of helplessness whenever he travels by air commercially"

Agree?

heard the news that, mum + elder kid took separate flight ... is this thier contigency planning?

probably cannot get air tix

i know ceo and cfo of company cannot travel on same flight ...

family seldom or never practise this sort of planning especially when family travel together for holiday

The onli sporean is a 2 yr old child. Travelling wif her british dad. Mum had taken different flight. R.I.P.

Edited by Wt_know
  • Praise 1

Glued to TV now...

The more I see and hear, the more sad I am ...

I understand the emotions that are hanging around the concerned party...

I empathize with them ...

Though we can't do much now, the only thing we can do is to offer support and pray for them...

Lets not speculate too much on what happen, and wait for official news...

• Praise 6

Seems like 2014 is really a bad year for aviation industry, very bad year to fly. Only less than 5 more days to end 2014, looks like also cannot smoothly close the year. Hopefully everything will be allright.

• Praise 1

heard the news that, mum + elder kid took separate flight ... is this thier contigency planning?

family seldom or never practise this sort of planning especially when family travel together for holiday

As a parent, i can't imagine which one is better. Half the family survive vs total loss [:(]

• Praise 5

Sure there is a tracking device... It's called ADS-B and it sends automatic position reports. That's how apps like flightradar24 can get the locations of aircraft around the world. In fact it's so updated now that in my opinion, emergency locator transmitters are pretty redundant.

In the past, pilots had to make manual position reports. In between reports, made perhaps half hourly... anything can happen and there'd be quite a gap in info.

Nowadays with up-to-date reported position, when a flight is lost, just need to go to the last reported position thereabouts and start searching.

Even then the actual work is not so simple. Imagine searching the seas visually for debris...

• Praise 1

Singapore Airforce C130 joins search ....

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/singapore/singapore-launches-c-130/1553476.html

SINGAPORE: Indonesia has accepted Singapore’s offer to assist in the search and locate efforts of the missing Indonesia AirAsia plane QZ8501.

The Civil Aviation Authority of Singapore (CAAS) said in a statement on Sunday (Dec 28) that Indonesia has requested for one C-130 plane for now, and the aircraft has been launched to assist with the search and locate efforts.

Edited by Camrysfa
  • Praise 3

What is practical is usually not convenient, and vice versa... and frankly speaking most Singaporean families would not even plan for such a catastrophic event. We as a society are more reactive than proactive in this sense.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 3