LTA Fines Bikers Parking On Pavement In Orchard, Netizens Ask For Temp Lots As Solution

kobayashiGT

Internal Moderator

LTA Fines Bikers Parking On Pavement In Orchard, Netizens Ask For Temp Lots As Solution

source: https://mustsharenews.com/delivery-riders-pavement/

xLTA-Fines-Bikers-Parking-On-Pavement-In

Delivery Riders Can’t Park On Pavements, Netizens Suggest Temporary Parking Lots

Technically, parking your bike on a pavement is illegal. However, sometimes there are reasons for temporary parking, especially for delivery riders.

Yesterday (2 Oct), the Land Transport Authority (LTA) said they fined several delivery riders parking their bike on the pavement in Orchard Road.

xScreenshot_83.png.pagespeed.ic.UZkbAS-_

This comes after news reports of the amount of bikes parked in the area.

However, this didn’t sit well with many riders, who said there aren’t enough parking lots in the Orchard area.

They call instead for a solution to the problem, which is that there isn’t enough grace period for them.

LTA fines delivery riders parking bikes on pavement

Officers in plain clothes were out and about, looking out for bikers breaking the rules.

The New Paper reported on 1 Oct that there were many bikers parked along the Orchard area, especially near Shake Shack.

xScreenshot_88.png.pagespeed.ic.9bBynOsF

They were largely there to pick up orders from the fast food restaurant, but there aren’t any proper parking options nearby.

One of the images LTA posted prominently features a GrabFood bag on the bike.

xlta-fine.jpg.pagespeed.ic.JnK2c_bxHl.we

This offence is punishable by a fine of up to $2,000 and/or up to 3 months’ jail.

Netizens ask for solution to delivery riders on pavement

However, the comments were quick to point out a seeming flaw with these fines.

That is, there appears to be insufficient parking lots for bikes in the area, and the ones available aren’t cheap.

One netizen points out this fact, and asks for a solution instead of the negative fining approach.

xScreenshot_85.png.pagespeed.ic.VIs7KOA1

Such as, a designated parking area for delivery riders.

xScreenshot_86.png.pagespeed.ic.eDuNh3Hi

Others ask for some leniency as it’s not as though they are parking their bikes there for the entire day.

xScreenshot_87.png.pagespeed.ic.tlfceOzj

MP raises issue of lack of temporary parking lots

You might recall that the issue of delivery riders and their problems was raised by an MP in Parliament.

Hany Soh of Marsling-Yew Tee GRC had received feedback that delivery riders tend to run into fines because of their need to park temporarily to drop off or pick up their food.

haha, our new transport minister got new work le. 🤣

↡ Advertisement

8 minutes ago, kobayashiGT said:

source: https://mustsharenews.com/delivery-riders-pavement/

xLTA-Fines-Bikers-Parking-On-Pavement-In

Delivery Riders Can’t Park On Pavements, Netizens Suggest Temporary Parking Lots

Technically, parking your bike on a pavement is illegal. However, sometimes there are reasons for temporary parking, especially for delivery riders.

Yesterday (2 Oct), the Land Transport Authority (LTA) said they fined several delivery riders parking their bike on the pavement in Orchard Road.

xScreenshot_83.png.pagespeed.ic.UZkbAS-_

This comes after news reports of the amount of bikes parked in the area.

However, this didn’t sit well with many riders, who said there aren’t enough parking lots in the Orchard area.

They call instead for a solution to the problem, which is that there isn’t enough grace period for them.

LTA fines delivery riders parking bikes on pavement

Officers in plain clothes were out and about, looking out for bikers breaking the rules.

The New Paper reported on 1 Oct that there were many bikers parked along the Orchard area, especially near Shake Shack.

xScreenshot_88.png.pagespeed.ic.9bBynOsF

They were largely there to pick up orders from the fast food restaurant, but there aren’t any proper parking options nearby.

One of the images LTA posted prominently features a GrabFood bag on the bike.

xlta-fine.jpg.pagespeed.ic.JnK2c_bxHl.we

This offence is punishable by a fine of up to $2,000 and/or up to 3 months’ jail.

Netizens ask for solution to delivery riders on pavement

However, the comments were quick to point out a seeming flaw with these fines.

That is, there appears to be insufficient parking lots for bikes in the area, and the ones available aren’t cheap.

One netizen points out this fact, and asks for a solution instead of the negative fining approach.

xScreenshot_85.png.pagespeed.ic.VIs7KOA1

Such as, a designated parking area for delivery riders.

xScreenshot_86.png.pagespeed.ic.eDuNh3Hi

Others ask for some leniency as it’s not as though they are parking their bikes there for the entire day.

xScreenshot_87.png.pagespeed.ic.tlfceOzj

MP raises issue of lack of temporary parking lots

You might recall that the issue of delivery riders and their problems was raised by an MP in Parliament.

Hany Soh of Marsling-Yew Tee GRC had received feedback that delivery riders tend to run into fines because of their need to park temporarily to drop off or pick up their food.

I think it's a combination of not enough motobike lots and their lazyness. Coz they want to take the fastest and most convenient way out. Park at the pavement and then run or walk down the stores and then take the customer grabfood order and then go back to bike and off they go. So I feel that even if lta solve the motobike lot problem, there will still have many will took the most convenient and fastest way out which is to park at pavement. 

• Praise 3

Internal Moderator
7 minutes ago, Jwee85 said:

the thing is  how to avoid abuse by other mototcyclist to park at these so called temporary lots for a long time?

Maybe can implement smth like this.

U-Bike-2.jpg?itok=Ln6DAOpG&f=1&nofb=1

First 45 min is free. But if parked too long, then there will be charges.

Oh please..."cut them some slack because they bring food to people"? So being in F&B should have special privileges too?

The food delivery job takers must know the tough part of the job, no 2 ways about it. 

For goodness sake, that part at Liat Towers is a pedestrian pavement, and there are many carparks ard. Sorry but I fully support the summons.

• Praise 12

Always socializing the inconvenience and problems, and privatizing the profits. Fine them every day, ever hour, everywhere please!

What an eyesore and inconvenience all over Singapore. Everytime I see on parked on the pavement or where they are not supposed to be, I feel like giving a good kick. 

• Praise 5
  • Haha! 1

If temp parking lot for motorcycles is approved, next will be temp parking lot for cars by road side to collect food ; go to bank drop cheque; go toilet; blah blah blah 

• Praise 4
  • Haha! 5

41 minutes ago, badlammy said:

Oh please..."cut them some slack because they bring food to people"? So being in F&B should have special privileges too?

The food delivery job takers must know the tough part of the job, no 2 ways about it. 

For goodness sake, that part at Liat Towers is a pedestrian pavement, and there are many carparks ard. Sorry but I fully support the summons.

If URA expands the open air motorcycle lots behind Far East Shopping Centre, will they pay, park and walk? 

That car park is quite full during peak hours but other times, it is easy to find a lot. 

• Praise 3

1 hour ago, Volvobrick said:

Always socializing the inconvenience and problems, and privatizing the profits. Fine them every day, ever hour, everywhere please!

What an eyesore and inconvenience all over Singapore. Everytime I see on parked on the pavement or where they are not supposed to be, I feel like giving a good kick. 

Maybe we should ban all form of private vehicles including car.

32 minutes ago, inlinesix said:

Maybe we should ban all form of private vehicles including car.

What has that got to do with illegal parking on pavements? 

And even if private cars were banned, there would be many ways to get around it. Buy under company for "logistics" purposes etc. Panel vans used to be very popular in the 70's and 80's. All registered under companies but used as private cars.... 

• Haha! 1

First, these people had no job.

Then, came e-scooters, and everybody jumped on the bandwagon, to do grab food, earned lots of money on flexi hours - and knock, inconvenience or injure/kill pedestrians

Took long enough for govt to act, and finally banned. And guess what, the entitled e-scooterists 喊打喊杀 said the govt took their livelihood away...

Now they bo bian have to ride motobikes or e-bikes, and the e-bikes still anyhow ride (on pavements), and all anyhow park. Tio fined, and they say need to give them solution...

My house nearest MRT not near enough, cannot let me sleep another 15 min extra every day, can govt find solution also?

My office parking lot not covered, can have bird shit and scorching sun on my car, govt can find solution also?

Exam studied so hard, but questions came out not those that i spotted, got solution bo?

• Praise 2
  • Haha! 11

7 minutes ago, Atrecord said:

Exam studied so hard, but questions came out not those that i spotted, got solution bo?
Than finally graduated, but found whatever was taught is considered not enough, not relevant, not qualified as compared to Uptron . 

how ? 

Asking for a friend 

• Haha! 2

5 minutes ago, Atrecord said:

My house nearest MRT not near enough, cannot let me sleep another 15 min extra every day, can govt find solution also?   Can.  You can buy a nearer one from HDB.  If you used up all your chances, blame yourself. 

My office parking lot not covered, can have bird shit and scorching sun on my car, govt can find solution also?   Can.  Government never stop you from changing job.   Find one that have covered carpark.  The best,  find one near to where you live.   Eh.... u drive to work or take MRT one?  So confusing. 

Exam studied so hard, but questions came out not those that i spotted, got solution bo?   Can. You can re-take.  You got more chance of spotting the right question as the question that came out,  is unlikely to come out again.  If come out again,  you can complain. 

IMHO.  In red.   Joking only hor. 😀

↡ Advertisement
  • Haha! 4