Too Late if They only Realized Now, Hong Kong

Arogab

Turbocharged

https://sg.news.yahoo.com/hong-kong-tells-residents-smile-103335063.html

Something as in why I never have a good HK friend till I meet the guy who teach me golf (he is one and only, but he almost considered as Thai)

Hong Kong, the Chinese enclave that’s still struggling to revive its tourism economy post-pandemic and in the wake of a Beijing-influenced crackdown on civil liberties, has taken a new approach to wooing visitors: curbing its residents’ reputation for rudeness.

Earlier this week, the city government launched a new campaign to promote politeness. A “handful of black sheep,” culture, sports, and tourism secretary Kevin Yeung said, have made headlines for behavior that “tarnishes our image.” Unfriendly service staff at restaurants, once viewed as a charming hallmark of visiting Hong Kong, has increasingly been described as a turn-off for tourists, while rudeness topped the list of complaints about the city’s taxi industry in a survey last year.

Yeung announced on Monday a multi-department effort to reverse this reputation: the Education Bureau will promote programs to teach courtesy to students, while the Home Affairs Department will organize community activities to encourage friendliness, with potential reward schemes for “good performance.” Yeung also announced that authorities will share a series of video clips urging residents to “go the extra mile” to promote the city’s hospitality and to volunteer at visitor centers.

Hong Kong Chief Executive John Lee backed the campaign during his regular press conference on Tuesday: “I ask you all to take part, to enhance visitors’ experience,” he said through an interpreter. “We should be more courteous, we should be more helpful, we should smile more, we should take the extra mile to promote Hong Kong’s hospitality so that Hong Kong will become a well-known place where visitors are welcome.”

It’s not the first time Hong Kong has tried to solve its perceived attitude problem—similar politeness campaigns were launched in the ’90s and early 2000s. But the city has struggled to see its pre-pandemic level of visitors return, even after the strict measures against inbound travel that were taken in effort to prevent the spread of COVID-19 were lifted and despite a slew of efforts—including hosting more than 200 “mega events,” from conferences to concerts to sports games—aimed at reestablishing itself as an international destination.

Data since 2002 from the Hong Kong Census and Statistics Department and Tourism Board show that the city saw a peak of over 6.7 million visitor arrivals in January 2019. In April 2024, it saw less than half as many.

But it’s not just COVID that has kept people away. The decline in visitor numbers has coincided with Hong Kong’s shifting political landscape, with arrivals beginning to dip after major pro-democracy protests in 2019 and the subsequent quelling of dissent and of any anti-China sentiment in the city. (Some say simmering political tensions, along with other social and economic factors, is partly to blame for the brusqueness of Hong Kongers today.)

The profile of Hong Kong’s recent post-pandemic tourism has also largely changed from what it used to look like. In 2010, according to government statistics, 10% of visitors were from Europe and the Americas, while 63% were from mainland China. In 2023, 5% hailed from Europe and the Americas, while 79% came from mainland China. It doesn’t help that countries like the U.S., Canada, and the U.K. have issued travel warnings cautioning their citizens about “arbitrary” and “broad” enforcement of local laws. (Those from China now are also more cost-conscious than the predominantly rich Chinese tourists of the past.)

Yeung, the city’s tourism secretary, for his part, seems to be aware of the immense task before him: “The hospitality movement cannot solve all of society’s problems,” he said, “but the spirit is what counts.”

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 4

Internal Moderator

I have ever kenna scolding from a retail outlet leh. That time I went shopping in the morning and ask the auntie how much the shoe is she is selling, then after receiving the prices, I decline on the sales. When I left the shop, she chases me and then scold me sial. I got startled. 

Then my HK friend tell me, is most probably because I am her first customer in the morning, and there is a belief if she cannot do the first sales, she will be sway the entire day. 

So i brought bad luck to her. 🤣 

• Praise 2
  • Haha! 21

Hypersonic
On 6/7/2024 at 11:04 AM, kobayashiGT said:

I have ever kenna scolding from a retail outlet leh. That time I went shopping in the morning and ask the auntie how much the shoe is she is selling, then after receiving the prices, I decline on the sales. When I left the shop, she chases me and then scold me sial. I got startled. 

Then my HK friend tell me, is most probably because I am her first customer in the morning, and there is a belief if she cannot do the first sales, she will be sway the entire day. 

not only in HK, SG retail also same belief. 

I learned this from young, so when I was a young salesman, every month end when I need to rush for payment collection, I always buy something from my retail customers in the morning before I asked for payment. My more senior colleague refused, and so every month end he got Farked by customers, because he either asked for payment before ppl do any sales, or he take $$$ and faster run for the next collection.  And then beginning of the new months always hear him tell stories of how he tio kan when having kopi breaks. [laugh][laugh][laugh]

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 6

5th Gear

I got one question…l why is this in car discussions? Hahaha

• Haha! 7

On 6/7/2024 at 10:42 AM, Arogab said:

https://sg.news.yahoo.com/hong-kong-tells-residents-smile-103335063.html

Something as in why I never have a good HK friend till I meet the guy who teach me golf (he is one and only, but he almost considered as Thai)

Hong Kong, the Chinese enclave that’s still struggling to revive its tourism economy post-pandemic and in the wake of a Beijing-influenced crackdown on civil liberties, has taken a new approach to wooing visitors: curbing its residents’ reputation for rudeness.

Earlier this week, the city government launched a new campaign to promote politeness. A “handful of black sheep,” culture, sports, and tourism secretary Kevin Yeung said, have made headlines for behavior that “tarnishes our image.” Unfriendly service staff at restaurants, once viewed as a charming hallmark of visiting Hong Kong, has increasingly been described as a turn-off for tourists, while rudeness topped the list of complaints about the city’s taxi industry in a survey last year.

Yeung announced on Monday a multi-department effort to reverse this reputation: the Education Bureau will promote programs to teach courtesy to students, while the Home Affairs Department will organize community activities to encourage friendliness, with potential reward schemes for “good performance.” Yeung also announced that authorities will share a series of video clips urging residents to “go the extra mile” to promote the city’s hospitality and to volunteer at visitor centers.

Hong Kong Chief Executive John Lee backed the campaign during his regular press conference on Tuesday: “I ask you all to take part, to enhance visitors’ experience,” he said through an interpreter. “We should be more courteous, we should be more helpful, we should smile more, we should take the extra mile to promote Hong Kong’s hospitality so that Hong Kong will become a well-known place where visitors are welcome.”

It’s not the first time Hong Kong has tried to solve its perceived attitude problem—similar politeness campaigns were launched in the ’90s and early 2000s. But the city has struggled to see its pre-pandemic level of visitors return, even after the strict measures against inbound travel that were taken in effort to prevent the spread of COVID-19 were lifted and despite a slew of efforts—including hosting more than 200 “mega events,” from conferences to concerts to sports games—aimed at reestablishing itself as an international destination.

Data since 2002 from the Hong Kong Census and Statistics Department and Tourism Board show that the city saw a peak of over 6.7 million visitor arrivals in January 2019. In April 2024, it saw less than half as many.

But it’s not just COVID that has kept people away. The decline in visitor numbers has coincided with Hong Kong’s shifting political landscape, with arrivals beginning to dip after major pro-democracy protests in 2019 and the subsequent quelling of dissent and of any anti-China sentiment in the city. (Some say simmering political tensions, along with other social and economic factors, is partly to blame for the brusqueness of Hong Kongers today.)

The profile of Hong Kong’s recent post-pandemic tourism has also largely changed from what it used to look like. In 2010, according to government statistics, 10% of visitors were from Europe and the Americas, while 63% were from mainland China. In 2023, 5% hailed from Europe and the Americas, while 79% came from mainland China. It doesn’t help that countries like the U.S., Canada, and the U.K. have issued travel warnings cautioning their citizens about “arbitrary” and “broad” enforcement of local laws. (Those from China now are also more cost-conscious than the predominantly rich Chinese tourists of the past.)

Yeung, the city’s tourism secretary, for his part, seems to be aware of the immense task before him: “The hospitality movement cannot solve all of society’s problems,” he said, “but the spirit is what counts.”

Why golf and then in soccer?

eh u too much Thai food ah?😂😂

moved

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 7

Supercharged

Very long and I can't decipher it from the title. So I ask Copilot to summarise it to less than 50 words

To revive tourism, Hong Kong initiates a civility drive, addressing residents’ perceived impoliteness and enhancing visitor experiences. This comes amid political shifts and efforts to recover from pandemic-induced tourism declines, despite hosting numerous events and lifting travel restrictions.

Ok, understand now. 

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 7

Internal Moderator
On 6/7/2024 at 11:35 AM, Beehive3783 said:

Why is this in tyres and rims? lol @kobayashiGT

Cause what goes around comes around mah. hahahaha. 

karma wheel.  

Okay lah. is related. 🤣

• Haha! 5

Turbocharged
On 6/7/2024 at 11:04 AM, kobayashiGT said:

Maybe is u got kiam pa bin? Lol.

Last time before I go hk people tell me not interested don't ask price and don't touch their products. I went once many years back to buy transformers toys from robot kingdom. Overall okay experience, people there ain't the friendliest and I feel is abit dirty on the streets. So doesn't warrant a 2nd visit. Never go back since. TW overall is more interesting than hk.

• Praise 3
  • Haha! 2

Hypersonic
(edited)

The reason whý I never like HK. Buying thing, eating there, spending money is like owned them. 

Rude attitudes,  even in the airport.

Compare to TW it is very obvious.

Even a restaurant in China like Shanghai are better customers focus and good service. Just look at HDL.

Edited by Tohto
  • Praise 5
  • Haha! 2

6th Gear
(edited)

I prefer to spend in GuangZhou than in HongKong. Just a few stations away, one is serve to pleased while the other is pay to be f**k. Food wise, it originates from GuangZhou. 

Somehow the service culture in SG is slowly morphing to be like HK. Ever damn thing is money money money. 

Edited by Rayleigh
  • Praise 4
  • Haha! 2

Hypersonic

HK is a place you either like it or hate it. I noticed HK people would treat you not very friendly if you speak mandarin and don't know how to speak cantonese.

• Praise 2

Turbocharged
On 6/7/2024 at 10:04 AM, kobayashiGT said:

This is why I put this topic into discussion. These people are arrogant for that donkey years. Not only they are arrogant. When you ask for directions, they point you to Holland. 

At the same time, I was with my wife when my wife's luggage wheel got a broken rubber and making noise. We went into one shop and ask about the price and then decided not to buy. 

That idiot sales lady was assuming that we are given a good price that we must buy. When walking out of the stupid shop. She commented in contonese, "If you don't buy, then don't ask" . Stupid blind people

On 6/7/2024 at 11:53 AM, inlinesix said:

Too much Thai XMM (unverified)

Eh, my regular caddy is not XMM and I only got one ok

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 2

Turbocharged
On 6/7/2024 at 10:35 AM, Beehive3783 said:

Why is this in tyres and rims? lol @kobayashiGT

On 6/7/2024 at 10:52 AM, Unltd said:

I got one question…l why is this in car discussions? Hahaha

Not me, ask @RadX, @kobayashiGT's boss. Haha

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 5

Supersonic
(edited)

I have friends kept going back HK each year because have siblings working there. 

The F&B they go are those they patron frequently and have gotten use to it. 

My impression on their F&B is always very busy, still very busy even till 12am in touristy area. Unless higher end restaurants, most are quite cramp. 

Many SG quick and casual F&B are similarly cramp too. The main difference many is HK still serve the food, where many in SG converted to self-collect to save labour. 

HK gov just need to allow more Chinese workers in their labour force to let their local wake up their attitude... 

Many business are small mom & pa, single proprietor type, so who cares. Larger one and chain type probably will conduct training for staff.

Edited by Atonchia
  • Praise 1

Turbocharged
On 6/7/2024 at 2:09 PM, 13177 said:

HK is a place you either like it or hate it. I noticed HK people would treat you not very friendly if you speak mandarin and don't know how to speak cantonese.

I dont know canto. But my msian frens told me KL canto also doesn't work there. 

Supercharged
On 6/7/2024 at 2:07 PM, Rayleigh said:

Somehow the service culture in SG is slowly morphing to be like HK. Ever damn thing is money money money. 

Sort of. Want free  restaurant quality char siew? just have to recite that popular canto phase which people always say in HK...

https://www.asiaone.com/singapore/crystal-jade-roasted-online-over-tongue-cheek-promotion-char-siew

😁

↡ Advertisement
  • Haha! 2