Simple home DIY repairs

Lala81

7 minutes ago, Kb27 said:

I think some contractors are lazy. When they are working on the tiles, they push debris into the drain discharge. They don't care bcuz they are no longer around when the drain clogs up.

My first hdb flat clogged, my mum use her hand to dig up loose cement, etc. How did they get there? Obviously left behind by the contractors. Those rocks, hardened cement, they don't go away, even if you use chemical, bcuz it has no effect on them. Basically, the drain has bcum half size.

Seems common. Happened to one of my drainage and only recently I managed to dig out the pieces of cement. 

↡ Advertisement

I think some of it is not intentional. There's just so much debris during construction. When they sweep and some stuff goes down obviously they bo Chap. 

27 minutes ago, mersaylee said:

@Lala81

I suah koo...had to google...got a shock at first😁

OIP (3).jpg

R (3).jpg

OIP (4).jpg

Hahaha auger is a general pro term. Sounds better than drain snake right. 

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 3

3 hours ago, Kb27 said:

I think some contractors are lazy. When they are working on the tiles, they push debris into the drain discharge. They don't care bcuz they are no longer around when the drain clogs up.

My first hdb flat clogged, my mum use her hand to dig up loose cement, etc. How did they get there? Obviously left behind by the contractors. Those rocks, hardened cement, they don't go away, even if you use chemical, bcuz it has no effect on them. Basically, the drain has bcum half size.

I used a power torch and shone down all the gulley hole after renovation and captured the bottom of the gulley. Sent pics to the the reno contractor and told them I won’t pay balance till they got the plumber to clear. The plumber spend hours cleaning up the cement bits. He had to carefully chisel. 

• Praise 2
  • Haha! 3

1 hour ago, Mkl22 said:

I used a power torch and shone down all the gulley hole after renovation and captured the bottom of the gulley. Sent pics to the the reno contractor and told them I won’t pay balance till they got the plumber to clear. The plumber spend hours cleaning up the cement bits. He had to carefully chisel. 

He can chisel so deep in?

Ikea table.

These are the cheapo adil legs I bought. I got 10 of these legs. 

Each of these legs have a base plate requiring 5 x 1" screws.

I installed 4 of them on a table top I was salvaging as previously mentioned. That one had the guide or pilot holes inside the particle board. Took me <15 mins to do those 4 legs. 

Then this is the study table. It's also a honeycomb type cardboard/wood composite inside. But it's much tougher. And this idalsen top is meant for a different table leg system. No pilot holes. 

So I had to measure myself. And add pilot holes. And this table is much harder. My makita cannot drive in with small pilot holes. So I had to trial and error, drill bigger pilot holes. Then still buay sai. Then deeper holes.

Also Missing one screw. Lucky i have stock of 1" screw. So this only took me 4 times as long... 

Zzz was expecting to do this quickly then do my Alex drawers and another table. Bit shack after this one. Take a break first. 

20211123_141257.jpg

Edited by Lala81
  • Praise 3

10 minutes ago, Lala81 said:

Ikea table.

I installed 4 of them on a table top I was salvaging as previously mentioned. That one had the guide or pilot holes inside the particle board. Took me <15 mins to do those 4 legs. 

Then this is the study table. It's also a honeycomb type cardboard/wood composite inside. But it's much tougher. And this idalsen top is meant for a different table leg system. No pilot holes. 

So I had to measure myself. And add pilot holes. And this table is much harder. My makita cannot drive in with small pilot holes. So I had to trial and error, drill bigger pilot holes. Then still buay sai. Then deeper holes.

Also Missing one screw. Lucky i have stock of 1" screw. So this only took me 4 times as long... 

Zzz was expecting to do this quickly then do my Alex drawers and another table. Bit shack after this one. Take a break first. 

20211123_141257.jpg

I did the same with salvaged legs from old warped table and fitted to solid wood kitchen top. Yes, I was also a shagged out after all the drilling and fitting the legs with handheld screwdriver 😅

That table is long...better to fit one or two more legs to minimise warp 

2 hours ago, Lala81 said:

Ikea table.

20211123_141257.jpg

Surprised that 10.8v makita cannot drive. I used my carpenter cheapo 12v drill with screwdriver bit and it could screw in easily into wood. 

• Shocked 1

1 hour ago, Mkl22 said:

Surprised that 10.8v makita cannot drive. I used my carpenter cheapo 12v drill with screwdriver bit and it could screw in easily into wood. 

Actually, it depends on the wood used. If its those thick and denser solid wood, really need a 24v driver. Those normal pallet or shipping crate wood, any 8.4v to 12v driver also can do the job.

Another point to note is the battery size of driver. 2,000mah vs 4,000mah. 4,000mah will win hands down due to its ability to hand more amps when pushed.

• Praise 1

For hardwood or denser wood I would not just force the screw in. I tried with 18V Milwaukee, even strong construction screws would break off.

Better to drill pilot holes first.

• Praise 2

2 hours ago, Mkl22 said:

This thing is quite solid.

I could drive in normal self tapping screws for my cable management rack into my solid wood table. 

Anyway I think pilot holes guide the screw to be straighter. Esp if u are aligning multiple holes together. So nothing wrong lah. Just more additional work. 

Edited by Lala81

Quite pissed with ikea. 

Installing the ikea tabletop on top of Alex drawers. As per illustration, there is supposed to be 4 guide holes for u to place your screw to attach the alex drawers to the langkapten top. But...

It's impossible to align the holes externally. I tried for a long while even using masking tape to mark the positions of the hole to the edges.

1. The screw is non self tapping with a blunt edge. So when u put the screw through the Alex top surface, u can't put the table on top over it. 

2. Because it's non self tapping, other than perfect alignment and someone sitting down and pressing down on top. The screws just push up the tabletop EVEN with perfect alignment. 

3. The drawer is so narrow, u can only find the front holes if u lie on the floor and put your head underneath. So I managed to drive through the  two front screws eventually after a long while. 

I still can't drive through the two back screws likely cos it's slightly shifted from the guide holes. 

And I don't have a self tapping screw of this size. The back screws are far enough back that I don't want to drill my own holes cos it's like my arm can't really push vertically that far away from my body. 

Left it liddat for now. Probably solution is to get self tapping screws the size of these screws then try again. 

20211123_183146_compress13.jpg

20211123_183242_compress19.jpg

20211123_183235_compress64.jpg

• Haha! 1

4 minutes ago, Lala81 said:

Quite pissed with ikea. 

Installing the ikea tabletop on top of Alex drawers. As per illustration, there is supposed to be 4 guide holes for u to place your screw to attach the alex drawers to the langkapten top. But...

It's impossible to align the holes externally. I tried for a long while even using masking tape to mark the positions of the hole to the edges.

1. The screw is non self tapping with a blunt edge. So when u put the screw through the Alex top surface, u can't put the table on top over it. 

2. Because it's non self tapping, other than perfect alignment and someone sitting down and pressing down on top. The screws just push up the tabletop EVEN with perfect alignment

3. The drawer is so narrow, u can only find the front holes if u lie on the floor and put your head underneath. So I managed to drive through the  two front screws eventually after a long while. 

I still can't drive through the two back screws likely cos it's slightly shifted from the guide holes. 

And I don't have a self tapping screw of this size. The back screws are far enough back that I don't want to drill my own holes cos it's like my arm can't really push vertically that far away from my body. 

Left it liddat for now. Probably solution is to get self tapping screws the size of these screws then try again. 

20211123_183146_compress13.jpg

20211123_183242_compress19.jpg

How about installing the table top upside down? So you will be screwing down.

• Praise 2
  • Haha! 1

8 minutes ago, Adrianli said:

How about installing the table top upside down? So you will be screwing down.

Ok yeah I didn't consider that. But haha that drawer is quite heavy, quite back breaking to flip. 

• Haha! 1

38 minutes ago, Adrianli said:

Nice video to show the comparison that I mentioned on the drivers.

My makita has the 10.8v impact driver and it can't drive the screw in to the table I showed earlier in the afternoon. Ah well just make do with what I have.

If I ever buy another power tool, surely will be 18v brushless haha. 

• Praise 1
  • Shocked 1

4 hours ago, Lala81 said:

Quite pissed with ikea. 

2. Because it's non self tapping, other than perfect alignment and someone sitting down and pressing down on top. The screws just push up the tabletop EVEN with perfect alignment

Those are so-called furniture screws. The big diameter is for more grip, more support.

I don't think you should replace with standard screws. Although they are more difficult to align due to the blunt edge.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1