Simple home DIY repairs

Lala81

1 hour ago, mersaylee said:

Curious...Is it a non hdb? Photo shot from bottom up to ceiling? 

Of cos not HDB lah...

Later he take 🌂 on you...

↡ Advertisement
  • Haha! 4

1 hour ago, Kb27 said:

You can standby some silicone self-fusing tape for emergency repair.

https://www.amazon.com/X-Treme-Tape-TPE-X36ZLB-Silicone-Triangular/dp/B00HWROLIG/

Next step is to learn and do some plumbing work.[laugh]

Most residential piping is 1/2" copper pipe. It's easy to work with. Just need some tools, pipe cutter, deburring tool, plumber's wrench.

1 foot of copper pipe is about $2. I buy from Aik Cheong, cut to 8 feet each, can stuff inside a car and carry home. Use compression fittings (no need teflon tape), you can install straight or 90 deg run with elbows. And fit some taps, shut-off ball valves where it's convenient. There now you're a mini plumber. [laugh]

Plumbing DIY is not risky unlike electrical works.  Haven't engaged any plumber for more than 10 years myself.

1 hour ago, Kb27 said:

You can standby some silicone self-fusing tape for emergency repair.

https://www.amazon.com/X-Treme-Tape-TPE-X36ZLB-Silicone-Triangular/dp/B00HWROLIG/

Next step is to learn and do some plumbing work.[laugh]

Most residential piping is 1/2" copper pipe. It's easy to work with. Just need some tools, pipe cutter, deburring tool, plumber's wrench.

1 foot of copper pipe is about $2. I buy from Aik Cheong, cut to 8 feet each, can stuff inside a car and carry home. Use compression fittings (no need teflon tape), you can install straight or 90 deg run with elbows. And fit some taps, shut-off ball valves where it's convenient. There now you're a mini plumber. [laugh]

maybe next time. was tempted to DIY. but somehow had a string of DIY boo boos lately so dare not risk it . Plus i have not attempted a such a pipe fitting before.

• Haha! 1

1 hour ago, Twister said:

Of cos not HDB lah...

Later he take 🌂 on you...

HDB or Condo or Semi D or GCB doesnt matter. all that is important is to share knowledge. Whether one follows or not in the end is also another matter but at least everyone is more aware about the different ways of doing things. 👍

• Praise 7
  • Haha! 1

Not really repair. But in a sort DIY.

When I moved, decided not to wall mount my TVs anymore. Troublesome to change TV etc. So switch to stands which I had kept. I always thought the screws will be with the stands which I never taken out of the packaging. 

After unpacking for a while, still can't find any screws. somehow I don't have the screws for both TV. Not sure if I threw away accidentally. 

Bought a universal TV screw kit. It arrived last night. Woke up early this morning so decided to get onto it cos the TV panels lying on floor very zhor deng. 

I was fully expecting that it would be M8 screws as per the wall mounts. But in the end had to use some 4 x very short m4 screws to mount the stand which I'm not sure are long enough but they are the only m4 screws in the package (actually there is another one but it's much longer, at least 35mm and I only realised after I installed the much shorter screw). 

Well the panel sits on the stand, so should be OK lah. just vertical loading. 

These screws also bit chui, cam out so easily. Ah well, it's not like I will remove them again. 

The photo shown is likely a M6 screw which I originally thought would fit. Haha one missing screw in the package. 

Still got my LG to do later. 

20211121_090033.jpg

20211121_071259.jpg

Edited by Lala81
  • Praise 6

I had to find my own stand and matching screws when I inherited an old big led screen from a relative…many similar ones at carousell…luckily I measured the distance between all mounting points and verified with various sellers…

after almost 2 months a correct one came along…I used a long nail to determine the length of screw needed then used my stockpile of matching reused screws I gathered from discarded appliances and voila…boh pian…boh lui is liddat one 😁

Edited by mersaylee
  • Haha! 6

26 minutes ago, mersaylee said:

I had to find my own stand and matching screws when I inherited an old big led screen from a relative…many similar ones at carousell…luckily I measured the distance between all mounting points and verified with various sellers…

after almost 2 months a correct one came along…I used a long nail to determine the length of screw needed than used my stockpile of matching reused screws I gathered from discarded appliances and voila…boh pian…boh lui is liddat one 😁

I would have done the same or ordered the specific screw if i had 1 tv.
But since i have both TVs screws missing, aiyah suah lah just buy the whole kit. Bit wasteful but it has a large variety of screws. 

I didn't want to open up the wrapping/cardboard until i had the screws. Bit silly in retrospect. But ordering specific screws will need a long while, several weeks to reach.

Edited by Lala81
  • Praise 2

1 minute ago, Lala81 said:

I would have done the same or ordered the specific screw if i had 1 tv.
But since i have both TVs screws missing, aiyah suah lah just buy the whole kit. Bit wasteful but it has a large variety of screws. 

I didn't want to open up the wrapping/cardboard until i had the screws. Bit silly in retrospect. But ordering specific screws will need a long while, several weeks to reach.

I'd tried Samsung...but they won't sell any screws or stand on its own...🤔

TV stand is always a problem. 

If you decide to hang it, then later you try to put it back on the stand, you can't find it or lose item like screws.

They don't sell the parts, they expect you to buy a new TV.

26 minutes ago, inlinesix said:

@Lala81 TaoBao has taller TV stand that screws on TV mount screw hole.

Those are called universal TV mounts which use the VESA mounting holes behind like you said.

It's for people who lost or don't have the stands. 

but i think it's safer to use the provided TV stand as for the panasonic, the TV stand slots into and directly under the panel. It slides in then u screw from the back panel through both the stand and into the TV.

• Praise 1

1 minute ago, Lala81 said:

Those are called universal TV mounts which use the VESA mounting holes behind like you said.

It's for people who lost or don't have the stands. 

but i think it's safer to use the provided TV stand as for the panasonic, the TV stand slots into and directly under the panel. It slides in then u screw from the back panel through both the stand and into the TV.

I use that TV stands as it is taller than a factory TV stand.

• Praise 1

1 hour ago, Kb27 said:

TV stand is always a problem. 

If you decide to hang it, then later you try to put it back on the stand, you can't find it or lose item like screws.

They don't sell the parts, they expect you to buy a new TV.

haha at first i thought finding screws is hard to find.

But actually there is quite a decent business in these types of replacement kits.
The singapore seller's universal mounting kit got more than 100 ratings.

The specific stand replacement screw kits on amazon for say a samsung can be a few thousand reviews.

Heck there is a website dedicated to giving u the specific tv stand screws for your tv model.

Just now, inlinesix said:

I use that TV stands as it is taller than a factory TV stand.

ah ok. good point.

yes my tv is a tad lower than i want it to be. But haha ain't going to spend more money to fix it.

• Haha! 1

On 11/19/2021 at 9:33 AM, Mkl22 said:

A pin hole leak on my copper pipe. This was quite sudden. Wife heard water sounds in the toilet. Lucky we caught it early enough else the whole false ceiling would have been water logged had it happen during the night. 
managed to seal it temporary via a rubber strip and a G clamp. Will have to call a plumber to replace the section of pipe. Sigh old copper pipe woes. 

9E866D7B-CEC4-4303-BB31-7C89F403D484.jpeg

Now copper very expensive

electrictiy car need alot of copper 

you go downstairs buy epoxy

then turn off the water supply and drain the pipe then gum the epoxy see can work or not 

1 hour ago, Lala81 said:

ah ok. good point.

yes my tv is a tad lower than i want it to be. But haha ain't going to spend more money to fix it.

No more yellow pages so I used spare planks...😁

IMG_20211121_155100.jpg

• Praise 6

51 minutes ago, Mustank said:

Now copper very expensive

electrictiy car need alot of copper 

you go downstairs buy epoxy

then turn off the water supply and drain the pipe then gum the epoxy see can work or not 

Isn't koyok tape better? 😁

Screenshot_20211121_104848.jpg

• Praise 2

On 11/17/2021 at 11:44 PM, Volvobrick said:

I used concrete nails hammered them right in the middle of the trunking (I think the boxy ones are called trunking, conduit is the round pipe type) recently.

Hard to do alone - got to hold the trunking and the nail with one hand and hammer with the other while on a ladder! 

I just laid a short trunking (without nails) and found this way quite easy. [laugh]

1. Pre-drill three 6mm holes in the plastic trunking apart 2 ft apart.
  2. Use the centre hole and hammer drill through to the wall,
  3. Knock in 6mm wall-plug (fisher plug with lips) over the trunking. Put in a screw to fasten it. Now the trunking stays stable on the wall.
  4. It's easy to hammer-drill the other 2 holes and do the same.

No more concrete nails for me.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 4