treadmill in hdb flat

Karoon

I've had my Treadmill for 17 years.

Still use it 4 or 5 times a week.

Had to buy a few minor spares but the only outlay is on 4 X D type batteries every 4 months or so.

Whoa there.

It's not a Treadmill.

It's a Cross Trainer.

You'd think I know that now after 17 years.

Even when I go to the gym I never use the Treadmills.

Always use the Cross Trainer or the Steppers.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

Just run on Park Connectors or ECP or other Parks.... no fun running on threadmills .....real man burn rubber on roads.... after all so many apps available now on phones like Runtastic/Runkeeper... so you can still check your calories / distance/ timing

Edited by BanCoe
  • Praise 4

very considerate! considering tha fact i always get the bouncing of balls on e floor from the above neighbours' kids...

Mine worse. My neighbour above does skipping.
  • Praise 3

i dunno why but when i ran on the treadmill, i feel like vomiting ... anyway that was more than 25 years ago ... and i believe the machine already recycled into something else already.

Could the vomitting be due to running much faster, compared to the usual running in the jogging track.

I noticed that those people train on the treadmill (in gyms) at very high speed. 

• Praise 1

Could the vomitting be due to running much faster, compared to the usual running in the jogging track.

I noticed that those people train on the treadmill (in gyms) at very high speed. 

maybe air circulation in the flat not good ...

I think the base problem is some people have very sensitive vestibular system (balance organs), some of the basic models (esp 25yrs ago) are not as well designed, smaller or more compact to fit in the house, thus the dampening system for the striding impact bounce is not good, thus resulting in alot of unpredictable recoil movements while running. This will overload those with more sensitive vestibular system. 

@YSC3 can those modern treadmills at the gyms, should be much better these days. 

• Praise 4

great, guys!

thanks for replies.

As for chances of white elephant... well, we'll see in a few months if i start a 'treadmill for sale' thread http://www.mycarforum.com/public/style_emoticons/#EMO_DIR#/biggrin.gif

I have a lady friend who use her cross trainer almost every day for years, not turning elephant yet. For lady, i guess some may like to exercise with privacy, having a machine at home would become a plus point. For guys, i guess it is the determination that counts.

You may want to go to some sport hall or CC to try out a couple of times to test your determination .

I think the base problem is some people have very sensitive vestibular system (balance organs), some of the basic models (esp 25yrs ago) are not as well designed, smaller or more compact to fit in the house, thus the dampening system for the striding impact bounce is not good, thus resulting in alot of unpredictable recoil movements while running. This will overload those with more sensitive vestibular system. 

@YSC3 can those modern treadmills at the gyms, should be much better these days. 

i once did ippt at treadmill.... nearly throw up.. gave up.

My choice is stationery bike over treadmill once over 50 years old. When pedal fast with higher resistance setting, get cardio workout with strengthening of quads/hamstrings/calves. Minus the impact the injures knees/hips/kidneys.

Bike takes up less space too. If turn into a clothes hanger from underuse, bike can  take more clothes   [laugh]

My choice is stationery bike over treadmill once over 50 years old. When pedal fast with higher resistance setting, get cardio workout with strengthening of quads/hamstrings/calves. Minus the impact the injures knees/hips/kidneys.

Bike takes up less space too. If turn into a clothes hanger from underuse, bike can  take more clothes   [laugh]

Many people turned it into a clothes hanger after it becomes a white elephant.  :XD:

• Praise 1

I have been waiting to get this when I move to a bigger place......can't get it off my mind after seeing it on House Of Cards.... :D

The water inside the clear container will slosh around with every pull mimicking actual rowing and resistance.

using-water-rower-1024x643-768x482.jpg

WaterRower-Club-flywheel.gif

Edited by Vratenza

I have been waiting to get this when I move to a bigger place......can't get it off my mind after seeing it on House Of Cards.... :D

The water inside the clear container will slosh around with every pull mimicking actual rowing and resistance.

Can put clothes inside to wash? Edited by Rayleigh
  • Praise 3

Why not rent a canoe given your location?

Bike takes up less space too. If turn into a clothes hanger from underuse, bike can take more clothes [laugh]

How about elliptical trainer? Suffered a sprain a while back and switched over to an elliptical runner, I find it more forgiving on the joints yet provide a very good cardio workout when you pushed up the resistance lever.

More xiong than treadmill for high intensity interval training at high resistance setting.

Perhaps i should try bike machine next. Getting old and treadmill may be history for me soon.

Many people turned it into a clothes hanger after it becomes a white elephant. :XD:

Buy only if you are already running at least 10-20km a week at the gym (or equivalent in biking distance). For people that run outdoor or visit the gym once in a while, it doesn't make sense.

How about elliptical trainer? Suffered a sprain a while back and switched over to an elliptical runner, I find it more forgiving on the joints yet provide a very good cardio workout when you pushed up the resistance lever.

More xiong than treadmill for high intensity interval training at high resistance setting.

Perhaps i should try bike machine next. Getting old and treadmill may be history for me soon.

Buy only if you are already running at least 10-20km a week at the gym (or equivalent in biking distance). For people that run outdoor or visit the gym once in a while, it doesn't make sense.

Stationery bike suggestion made in context of thread. Bike takes up less space than elliptical runner in space challenged HDB home, and has widest age/gender appeal. Bike foot print is about 1/3 that of a runner. Runners have to be wide and long for stability or it may topple during vigorous use. In my condo gym which has treadmill, bike, runner and rower side-by-side, I see the appeal factor. The bike is used by young and old, male and female, fit and not-so-fit. It will be foolish to ask someone who has pre-existing medical conditions or already physically challenged to go onto a runner. 

To get older person to be active, the bike fits as can plonk it in front of TV, and ask Ah-Ma/wifey to cycle while watch serials and dramas.

However if space and fitness is not an issue, or there is one in downstairs in condo gym/ pro gym, I heartily recommend. Can get cardio workout, core-strength training, as well as work the gluteus muscle all at the same time. 15 mins at high resistance and intensity gives a great workout. Entertains the watchers too. A cute lady with perky butt, clad in leotards, using the elliptical x-trainer is one of my favorite views in the gym. Ha ha

I had a treadmill in my hdb flat for 5 years... the latest time that I ran was at 10.30pm.. no complaints from neigbhours. So I think it should be fine.

Maybe your neighbor simply enduring your noise? Lol. Same like many people are enduring their neighbors dragging of furniture, stomping feet etc.

Should I try top-load or front-load washing powder? :D

Can put clothes inside to wash?

Cannot see far enough into the sea at night.....afraid I will lose my way back :D

Why not rent a canoe given your location?

↡ Advertisement