Simple home DIY repairs

Lala81

1 hour ago, badlammy said:

My recent DIY...got locked from outside of bedroom due to faulty door lock and whacked it. Lucky not locked from inside, else dunno use what to whack open.

Lesson learnt, once see signs of faulty door lock, change immediately.

20200829_121938.jpg

Think my lesson learnt would be once see signs of faulty door lock, do not lock the door, if not kena locked inside/outside. [laugh]

2 hours ago, Xers007 said:

Just drill a hole on the lid, put a nylon string, tied 2 knots one on the inner part of it and one just on top of the lid (so it will not fall into the water). Can use many more years.

Talk is cheap but stainless steel is tough to do drilling. Your normal high speed steel drill bit might not be able to drill thru. It might burn and become chao tar, destroying your drill bit. 

You have to use drill bit that has Titanium coating aka gold colour coating. Thankfully Daiso sells them in limited sizes(don't have bigger size), still cheap at 2 bucks. They also sell stainless steel wires as well. 

Edited by Watwheels
  • Praise 1
  • Haha! 1

1 hour ago, Watwheels said:

Talk is cheap but stainless steel is tough to do drilling. Your normal high speed steel drill bit might not be able to drill thru. It might burn and become chao tar, destroying your drill bit. 

You have to use drill bit that has Titanium coating aka gold colour coating. Thankfully Daiso sells them in limited sizes(don't have bigger size), still cheap at 2 bucks. They also sell stainless steel wires as well. 

ok lah... you are the master you advise... dont want to be label as cheap...

Internal Moderator
3 hours ago, badlammy said:

My recent DIY...got locked from outside of bedroom due to faulty door lock and whacked it. Lucky not locked from inside, else dunno use what to whack open.

Lesson learnt, once see signs of faulty door lock, change immediately.

20200829_121938.jpg

20200923_141646.jpg

You karate the knob? 😮

giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e47evjyovtl0dxxz3c1x6

3 hours ago, badlammy said:

Share how leh...

I was rushing to go out and my walk-in wardrobe is linked to my bedroom with no separate access. Also tried to slot a mouse pad to push the catch but cannot. So in the end whacked lor.

There should be a tiny hole near the knob with a catch. Release the catch with a very small screwdriver and you should be able to remove the knob. After that unscrew the round plate to expose the mechanism. 

Alternatively, learn to pick a lock! 

😅

2 minutes ago, Volvobrick said:

There should be a tiny hole near the knob with a catch. Release the catch with a very small screwdriver and you should be able to remove the knob. After that unscrew the round plate to expose the mechanism. 

Alternatively, learn to pick a lock! 

😅

The previous one is handle kind, round knob is new. I did try to find the catch, really dun have. That small dent u see in the pic nothing to press in.

20200831_174743.jpg

• Praise 2

3 hours ago, Watwheels said:

https://www.carpentry-tips-and-tricks.com/drill-bits.html

image.thumb.png.cc94007cd7b5550d0d4886e839fa1e74.png

• Praise 1

Internal Moderator
1 hour ago, badlammy said:

haha...used a daiso mallet, realised I dun have a proper hammer.

Scare me. I tot you are a man of steel. hahhaa.

Real man need tools. gotta upgrade your toolbox ya. hahah. 

4 hours ago, badlammy said:

haha...used a daiso mallet, realised I dun have a proper hammer.

brother, you need a real man's hammer. [:p]

estw.jpg

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 3

14 hours ago, Lala81 said:

You going to get WiFi sockets/switches for your lights?Otherwise not much point for electrical outlets.

Oh ...... generally, I would not use technologies like WiFi for permanent fixture lor.  It is because these type of technologies tends to change quickly.  I already have a CHEAP Xiaomi Gateway for IoT like Temperature and Humidity, Doors and Windows Security, planning to add sensor for Plant water and light sensor and PM2.5 sensor.  AWESOME.

What I am talking about previously is measuring current using a simple current transformer, feed to a SIMPLE Computer like raspberry pi or something and off it go to the cloud lor.  Together with voltage I can monitor PF la, kWh la then hor use some analytics to correlate with WEATHER .....ya ....

If I too busy, then shelve it lor by disconnecting from the DB box lor.  OR don't implement it at all.  It depend on WFH till when lor.  My company confirm at LEAST WFH until end of the year lor.

9 minutes ago, Volvobrick said:

Those for drilling ceramic tiles missing. Important for walls like in the kitchen or bathroom. 

Screenshot_20200923_225857.thumb.jpg.422a0f6fe35a4494c40f8b24c38b91b9.jpg

I haven't tried one of these for ceramic and glass. There's also a diamond tipped hole borer I think.

Right now, I just use the SDS bit and blast through the tile and wall.

• Praise 2

47 minutes ago, Kb27 said:

I haven't tried one of these for ceramic and glass. There's also a diamond tipped hole borer I think.

Right now, I just use the SDS bit and blast through the tile and wall.

I used it on ceramic tiles and homogeneous tiles. It worked without cracking them. 

• Praise 1

14 hours ago, badlammy said:

The previous one is handle kind, round knob is new. I did try to find the catch, really dun have. That small dent u see in the pic nothing to press in.

20200831_174743.jpg

The catch to dismantle the lock is usually on the inside, meaning the side with the twist or push lock knob. Useless lock if it can be dismantled from the outside.

Anyway, I see you replaced with an atas Yale lock. Mr DIY sells door knob sets starting from $6+. 

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1
  • Haha! 1