Mercedes Benz's Engine Downsizing Strategy

Carbon82

Motorbike engines getting bigger and bigger. LOL.

Goldwing now is 1,833 cc

Africa Twin grew from 742 to 998 cc

Hearsay Africa Single (CRF250L) likely to grow bigger engine also from its current 249 cc.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2

Twincharged
2 hours ago, inlinesix said:

How economical?

err.. yeah .. the more powerful the engine is, the higher the requirement of tolerance level as well as a need to rebuild the engine if its build with cutting corners instead of cutting edge technology. Thats what I was told.

11 minutes ago, Kangadrool said:

Installed with Creative Sound Blaster for fake exhaust sound? LOL...

The diehards will miss the vibration between their legs.

Modern HD needs to mod exhaust.

Otherwise no diff from Livewire

Just like how the COVID-19 is upsetting the global economy now, the shift to EV is going to reset the whole automotive industry.

Automobile manufacturers are forced to forgo what they were once famous for: i-VTEC, Dual VVTi, Renesis Rotary, TwinAir, Valvetronic, Twin-Charged, EcoBoost, Skyactiv, MIVEC, etc.

Everyone starts from ground zero once again, just like writing on a blanket piece of paper, using something with no sound and characteristics linked to their past... ...

Oh yah, no gearbox will be needed too, so the debate about DSG, CVT, Torque converter or even stick shift can finally be put to rest. 

• Praise 10

24 minutes ago, Carbon82 said:

Just like how the COVID-19 is upsetting the global economy now, the shift to EV is going to reset the whole automotive industry.

Automobile manufacturers are forced to forgo what they were once famous for: i-VTEC, Dual VVTi, Renesis Rotary, TwinAir, Valvetronic, Twin-Charged, EcoBoost, Skyactiv, MIVEC, etc.

Everyone starts from ground zero once again, just like writing on a blanket piece of paper, using something with no sound and characteristics linked to their past... ...

Oh yah, no gearbox will be needed too, so the debate about DSG, CVT, Torque converter or even stick shift can finally be put to rest. 

remind me of 919 hybrid and its 5min + lap record😁

• Haha! 1

27 minutes ago, Carbon82 said:

Taycan has a 2 speed GB (4WD version).

Manufacturers don't start from ground up.  Porsche starts from 919 Spyder.  Then it moves to Panny e-hybrid.  Now, Taycan.

With the move to EV, a lot of WS will be closed.  That's the biggest upheaval.  Singaporean will love EV as it is troublefree.

On the other hand, it lack emotion.

Taycan is not a sports car just like Panny.

1 hour ago, inlinesix said:

Manufacturers don't start from ground up.  Porsche starts from 919 Spyder.  Then it moves to Panny e-hybrid.  Now, Taycan.

With the move to EV, a lot of WS will be closed.  That's the biggest upheaval.  Singaporean will love EV as it is troublefree.

Last time when people moved from horse carriages to the Model T,  the smell of horse manure and those temperamental 4 legged creatures were solely missed.  Just kidding.  I hated CVT car for the same reason.

But wait till autonomous vehicles take over the world... 

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 2

22 minutes ago, Voodooman said:

Last time when people moved from horse carriages to the Model T,  the smell of horse manure and those temperamental 4 legged creatures were solely missed.  Just kidding.  I hated CVT car for the same reason.

But wait till autonomous vehicles take over the world... 

I want to go back to cars which is in btw analog & electronic.

• Praise 2

2 hours ago, inlinesix said:

Only the WS bosses will be affected, cos all the WS I go to only have mechanics from China or Malaysia. They can balik kumpong. 

• Praise 2
  • Haha! 2

(edited)
4 hours ago, inlinesix said:

then where the JHK go? 

wash car ? open cai peng shop?

Edited by TeamAMG69
  • Haha! 3

Supersonic
43 minutes ago, TeamAMG69 said:

then where the JHK go? 

Balik kampong lor. We're not an employment centre for them.

2 hours ago, TeamAMG69 said:

then where the JHK go? 

If they are good enough, they can switch industries.

If they cant catch up, then there is diminishing place for them, in fact for all.

On 5/11/2020 at 3:10 PM, Krieger said:

on my personal opinion, I do not understand why some buyers wanted a lower CC Merc which will not drive as well as a normal Korean or Japanese in the long run. For the brand? a C180 C class is barely making the brand a justice and now...C160? 

When buying a car, one must factor in the 2-3rd year drivability. Some age well but some do not.

Pay Merc price for Toyota specs (maybe worse if factor in reliability). 

The shiny badge is very important to some ppl. 

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1
  • Haha! 1